Bonaire Pics - 1 of 5: The Dry Stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Here are some pics from Bonaire.

I had the opportunity to shoot dry twice - once after a macro dive when I fell into Will and Kristen's truck and we went south for a bit. I had on the 105mm - no filters, no other lenses, no nothing. Not the best set up for a land excursion across a bright desert island. It made me look at things a little differently, and shoot selected subjects in a different way.

The second land excursion was on Saturday - the last half of the day. Jaye and I, after doing 3 dives set off at about 4:00 in the afternoon, also heading south.

If I planned this better, I would have shot south earlier in the day (like the AM) as by the time we got there the sun was very low and the lighting wasn't great. It made me stretch a bit and try some new things. At least I had my filters and different lenses.

It also revealed what a hack I am above water. I need practice shooting dry.

Here are some selected dry shots. The full gallery can be seen here: Bonaire, Baby!

Enjoy!

---
Ken

==============================

Ps:107.24 - This is the wall of a Radio Station that we passed every day. It was a wonderful reminder of the colors and life that we get to see as divers on this island. We are very blessed.
Psalm-107-24.jpg

Red Slave Colors - It was late afternoon, shooting due west as the sun was going down. Wrong place, wrong time. But you get the idea - the colors on Bonaire, even in the remote southern tip are lovely.
Red-Slave-Colors.jpg

Red Slave Hut Detail - this is Jaye by one of the huts. You get the idea how small these things really are.
Red-Slave-with-Jaye.jpg

Red Slave Rooftops - these are the huts on the ocean side. The colors of Bonaire are so amazing. Even these very old huts cast against the timeless ocean reveal the vibrancy of the place. Shot on the 105mm photo afternoon.
Red-Slave-Row-Detail.jpg

Shoe City - at the southern end, where the wind is ripping most of the time is this place called Shoe City. I wasn't able to get a consistent story, whether all of these shoes washed up from the sea or if people just dump their old shoes here. There is an interesting mix of new and worn shoes, so maybe its a little of both. This was shot with the 105mm.
Shoe-City---Ground-level.jpg

South End Sculpture - this is one of the finer rock stacks at the south end. Down around the corner it totally reminds me of "The Forbidden Zone" from Planet of the Apes. Barren, windswept, rocky and these wacky stick and stone figures all along the roadside.
Forbidden-Zone-Stones-Stack.jpg

White Slave Solo - This is the last hut in the row at White Slave.
White-Slave-on-Beach.jpg

Kristen looking in - there is a small door on one side of the hut (facing the sea) and a small window on the far wall. Kristen was mugging for a shot for William as she looked through the hut. I saw this and just thought it was funny. This was shot with the 105mm.
Peek-a-boo---White-Slave.jpg

Doggy Chillin' - as Jaye and I were coming back from a dive we saw this dog just relaxing on top of this car. Its representative of Bonaire - that even the pets know how to relax.
Puppy-Relaxing.jpg

Kite Boarding - the wind is always blowing on the south side. Jaye got a shot of these kite boarders taking full advantage of the windy day.
Kite-Boarders.jpg

Ken and Jaye at Lighthouse point - we're in that burned out house that sits right adjacent to the lighthouse. We're using a photo stick to shoot ourselves. Its essentially an extendable monopod with a little mirror and a tripod screw. It allows us to both be in the picture. I take it everywhere.
Ken-_-Jaye--Ruins-_1.jpg

Cheryl (Submariner) and Pierce - these two have been to Bonaire a zillion times. They took Jaye and I under their wing, showed us the ropes and because of them we had 10-times the fun. Friends for life, they are now. This was shot at Buddy's bar on Friday, right at sundown.
C-and-P.jpg

Cactus Fence - the original barbed wire! There are fences like this all over Bonaire. Kinda cool, I think! Probably keeps all the street walking goats and burros out of your yard.
Cactus-Fence-_2.jpg

Coral Wall - there were these small ruins by Red Slave. I noticed the walls of this house had coral mixed in with cement. The cement had worn away over the years, but the coral remained.
coral-wall.jpg

East Side Sunset - We wound down the half-day photo excursion on the remote east side of the island. This looked more like rural New Mexico to me than a diver's paradise.
East-Side-Sunset.jpg

************* Bonaire Dashboard *************

There will be 5 parts to the Bonaire pics:

1. Dry Stuff - just shots Jaye and I took on our dry time
2. Dry Stuff - shots of me getting the shots
3. Dry Stuff - Buddy's resort
4. The Macros - the small stuff (there is also a Bonus Macros (call it 4-A) set)
5. The Wides - the big stuff

Bold = You are here. Links to the others as I put them up.

Kenny's Bonaire Blog is here: Linky

Full gallery of Bonaire Pics is here: Bonaire, Baby!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom