Bonaire East Coast shore diving - guide review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got back from Bonaire and I decided to do a couple different dives than what I normally do there. In previous years I went out with Larry on his boat and did the mouth of Lac Bay and the White Hole, but this trip I wanted to experience something different. I did two shore dives on the East coast of Bonaire with Bas Tol from Bonaire Adventurous Scuba Diving Startpage. Those of you who have dove with Bas before will find nothing surprising in this review.

I've known about Bas for years as he is often talked about on bonairetalk.com, but have not really been interested in having a dive guide on the West coast, as that's where my interest has been. This trip I felt the need to do something different, so I reached out to Bas and I'm glad I did.

Bas Tol is the most experienced East coast diver on Bonaire and it shows. He knows the entries, the exits and where do find all the rarely seen fish. He walked me through what to do on each entry and exit before we got in the water. He even went in one site while I watched and showed me exactly what to do so I understood. Having never done a surf entry or exit before this was very comforting and made the experience more enjoyable.

We dove Boca Spelonk and then the next day we did a drift dive North of the Willemstoren Lighthouse and exited right at the lighthouse. These are two areas I never thought I would dive and now I can't wait to get back to dive others.

So if your going to Bonaire and want to see some pristine reefs and different topologies, I highly recommend Bas Tol as your dive guide. Next time I go back I will certainly use him again.

Jason

Thank you for your review, are these sites that you would return to without a guide? Is shore diving East Bonaire an acceptable practice without a guide?

Thanks.

Personally I would never do an East Coast without a guide and would never recommend anyone to try it without a guide.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering.

Personally I would never do an East Coast without a guide and would never recommend anyone to try it without a guide.

One of the only reasons I could see a necessary guide for shore diving would be a drift and/or unpredictable and strong currents. I have definitely dove some sites that without an experienced guide we would be lost at sea.

Dive the east coast on your own is prety much foolish. There are some spots, like boka spelonk or boka onima that can make an easy entrance and exit areas if the conditions are good. But the sea is unpredictable in the east and the conditions can get worse in no time. I wouldnt take the risk.

Hire a local guide and you wont regret it.
Get some info about bonaire divesites and its conditions here www.bonairedivers.org , plenty of information in there.

You DO NOT WANT TO DIVE East Coast without a guide. We went with Bas Tol in March and we did 2 day dives and a night dive. He said he lost a very good friend and neighbor there and he dove that spot ALOT!!! The currents can suck you out and take you out to sea. The day we dove it with Bas, he explained everything to us before we dove it. If he would not have done this, I think I would have panicked on the dive. We had to ride the screaming current out and then we did the dive and on the way back in, we had to ride the in coming current in with waves crashing on top of us. He told us that it was right on the border line to do it and my Daughter and I dove with him the day before and so he knew what we were capable of doing so we did it. Every thing turned out just as he had explained to us so we had a great time. Loved it so much we did it the next day and then did a night dive that night. Second day was a lot smoother but still a lot of current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom