Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: EBRIB's, PLB's, and other Emergency Beacons

Registered

Has not set a "status"

EBRIB's, PLB's, and other Emergency Beacons

I am looking for assistance in finding the right EBRIB, PLB for diving.

I do have product questions about EPRIB/PLBs emergency beacons for diving. I was wondering if anybody has had experience using them. With the recent rash of divers being left behind by dive boats, I am seriously think of adding a EPIRB/PLB device to my signaling devices I already carry. I heard that there has been a change in distress frequency that the Rescue Satellites monitor, so some of current EPIRB/PLB devices would be invalid to carry.

Here are some links that I have found on various ones on the market: including information about monitoring frequencies.

McMurdo
    Fastfind Dive Canister

Sea Marshall - Locally Managed Rescue System for Lost Diver, Alerting Unit

121.5 Phase-Out

Welcome to ACR Electronics. The Science of Survival.

ACR MICROFIX GPS LOCATOR BEACON http://www.OMSdive.com

I looked through some of these links, and I am trying to find a device that is waterproof, works anywhere in the world, and can be taken on a dive with me: whether its depth rated to go deep, or can be placed in a waterproof canister that can take the depths of a typical dive. I do carry with me: a safety sauage, a signaling mirror, a storm whiste, a Dive Alert air horn, and a signaling strobe light. But face it...if the dive boat is gone from site, and there is no other boat in the area, the current devices I carry are useless.

Any information or experience with any product would be greatly appreciated. I did send a email to Scubadiving Magazine requesting the same request for reviews by their Scubalab, but they didn't seem to show any interest. I sent one to Undercurrent magazine, but the information I received back wasn't really helpful. I also sent a email to the Techincal editor at UK Dive Magazine who reviews dive gear, but haven't heard back from them either.

Thanks,

Lock Washer

ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

Sunburnt and wind swept

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Take a look at this site. While not SCUBA-centric, there is a lot of good information and reviews of what works in a survival situation - including personal locator beacons:

EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE - Outdoors Gear, Survival Equipment Review & Survival Information

Henrik

Regular of the Pub

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos

Plb

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikBP View Post
    Take a look at this site. While not SCUBA-centric, there is a lot of good information and reviews of what works in a survival situation - including personal locator beacons:

EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE - Outdoors Gear, Survival Equipment Review & Survival Information

Henrik
    The McMurdo works. It transmits on two freq 406 Mhz this is the main one that transmits your distress call and location to NOAA. The other freq 121.5 Mhz, at one time all commercial ships and aircraft used this for emergency's however that's is fading out.

Be aware that while the 406 Mhz will go to NOAA then to USCG the USCG are not located all over the world. So if you activated it in Palau NOAA would have to contact the authority's in Palau for your rescue.

121.5 Mhz, if there is a vessel equipped with this in your area they can use direction finding equipment to find you.

This board member had one for sale http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gea...-canister.html