Rebreather Diver dies in Pool in Oregon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daylonious

Señor Pantalones
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It always sucks to hear that we've lost one of our own, but I can say that this article although imperfect, does the best job I've seen in recent memory of talking about scuba intelligently..

D.

http://www.columbian.com/news/localNews/12242005news81326.cfm

Asphyxia led to scuba diver's death

Saturday, December 24, 2005
By JOHN BRANTON, Columbian staff writer

A scuba diver who was found dead in the pool at Thunder Reef Divers on Monday ran out of air while using a rebreather, a highly technical device that allows divers to breathe the gases in their equipment over and over.

Harvey L. Harris, 51, died of accidental drowning due to asphyxia, Don Phillips, an investigator for the Clark County medical examiner, said Friday.

If a rebreathing system isn't working properly, the diver can breathe too much carbon dioxide and too little oxygen, lose consciousness and drown, Phillips said.

Two experienced scuba divers told The Columbian that it is the first such fatal accident they had heard of.

"For a rebreather user to go unconscious in a swimming pool, I've never heard of it happening," said Steve Lowe, owner of Steve's Scuba Center in Milwaukie, Ore. "That's just a one-in-a-million type of a situation, if that."

Harris, who lived in Wilder, Idaho, west of Boise, was an advanced diver certified in the use of his rebreather, said Nikki McGinnis, manager of Thunder Reef Divers at 12104 N.E. Highway 99 in Salmon Creek.

"He dove solo with his rebreather in the ocean all the time," McGinnis said.

On Monday afternoon, Harris was found unresponsive and in a sitting position, wearing his scuba gear, on the bottom of the shop's pool.

"It was as if he just fell asleep," McGinnis said Friday. "It's really sad. It's just a horrible series of events."

Brad Lundberg, a Thunder Reef employee, jumped into the 10-foot-deep pool and pulled Harris to the surface. Lundberg and McGinnis performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation but couldn't revive Harris, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

McGinnis said Harris was an occasional customer who had gone diving the day before in the Tacoma area. On Monday, he stopped by Thunder Reef to get his gas cylinder refilled.

Harris was waiting for a Thunder Reef employee who is a trained gas blender to return to the store, McGinnis said. Since Harris still had some gases in his cylinder, he decided to use it up with his rebreather in the shop's pool for practice.

Harris was alone in the pool, which Thunder Reef allows in the case of highly experienced divers, McGinnis said.

Rebreathers like the one Harris had been using were developed by the military and are used by Navy SEAL units.

Rebreathers can allow divers to stay underwater longer than conventional scuba gear, divers said.

Some types release no gas bubbles when a diver exhales, which can have advantages in military operations.

Rebreathers also have advantages for undersea photographers because released bubbles can frighten away fish the divers are trying to shoot.

Lowe, a diver for 40 years and a scuba instructor for 30, said few divers use rebreathers, in part because of their cost, $5,000 to $18,000.

Lowe said he at times uses a rebreather system. He said rebreathers remove exhaled carbon dioxide from the recycled gases a diver is breathing, and add oxygen and other gases from the diver's cylinder.

Lowe said his rebreather, called "semi-closed," is the type that recycles the gases he is breathing and expels some as bubbles on only on one of every six of his exhalations. He said a 12-hour training course is required to be certified to use semi-closed rebreathers.

A conventional scuba system allows divers to stay underwater from 30 minutes to an hour, Lowe said, but his rebreather extends the bottom time to as much as two hours. In addition, he said, diving with a rebreather allows use of a lighter cylinder.

McGinnis said she has worked at Thunder Reef for 18 years, and Harris' death was the first serious accident at the shop.

John Branton covers crime and law enforcement for The Columbian. He can be reached at 360-759-8012 or john.branton@columbian.com.

Not exactly unheard-of: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=96519

There are other similar threads, although not usually in pools.

I suspect that rebreathers are good candidates for an electronics package that makes breathing more difficult/impossible as the O2 level decreases or the mix goes out of balance from what it's configured for.

With the current price of electronics and the current price of rebreathers, I really can't imagine why this hasn't happened already.

I don't think I'd rely on audio alerts. Something more definite is needed to say "You can't breathe", and nothing says "You can't breathe", like having nothing come out of the mouthpiece.

Terry

"For a rebreather user to go unconscious in a swimming pool, I've never heard of it happening," said Steve Lowe, owner of Steve's Scuba Center in Milwaukie, Ore. "That's just a one-in-a-million type of a situation, if that."

Very sad news. My condolences to the Harris family.

WOW!! In 10' and found in a sitting position?? That is just weird. My condolences

crpntr133:
WOW!! In 10' and found in a sitting position?? That is just weird. My condolences
I thought that a shallow pool was the most dangerous place for a rebreather?

Dave Zimmerly:
Read about Zak, and now this. My interest in rebreathers is slowly fading.
I reached the same conclusion several months ago.

Really sorry to hear this, for his family and friends. I wish this type of thing was more rare than it seems to be lately.

StSomewhere:
I thought that a shallow pool was the most dangerous place for a rebreather?

I reached the same conclusion several months ago.

Really sorry to hear this, for his family and friends. I wish this type of thing was more rare than it seems to be lately.
If the news report is correct then I would question the wisdom of diving in a pool with a SCR using the same gas used in Tacoma the day before which I presume is a reasonably deep dive. When I use SCR in a pool I use either the O2 orifice or a very hot mixture not a mixture/orifice combo used for ocean dives. Problem with rebreathers is people have paid dearly for very simple mistakes. This just shows we have to be very vigilant with our equipment. Rebreathers are opposite to OC in so much as problems occur faster in shallow water and slower at depth.

My point to the 10' is why didn't he bail? I'm not a rebreather diver but that just seems strange. Start feeling a little weird..scrub the dive. And found sitting up??...won't even touch that one.

crpntr133:
My point to the 10' is why didn't he bail? I'm not a rebreather diver but that just seems strange. Start feeling a little weird..scrub the dive. And found sitting up??...won't even touch that one.

He probably didn't bail because the symptoms crept up silently. Until there is some forensic evidence (gas, scrubber & physio.) everything is plainly conjecture.

Educated guess...He closed his eyes and fell asleep due to the slowly increasing levels of CO2 in the system.

Not something you would take notice of if you were a little tired and shrugged off the growing fatigue as just being a little tired.

My deepest condolences to the family and friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom