Belize Nekton Pilot: Crewmember lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This was originally posted by UnderwaterBumbleBee.

Sorry to be the one to break the news but I thought those that knew him or have been on the Pilot recently would want to know:

On Thursday 12/20 during a night dive, a crew member was lost at the Que Brada dive site (I believe it's near Long Caye). There were about 15 guests on the Belize itinerary and we were nearing our last day of diving. Most of the divers were in the water around 8PM and back on board around 9PM. Many questions are unsolved and crew member was not recovered. He may have been diving alone, possibly below recreational limits, crew members say he was not wearing an glow stick or nighttime identifier. Crew members also said his computer may have been broken and he was not diving with a computer or a depth gauge. Another guest, also diving alone and at 92 feet along the wall, may have seen his light much farther down the wall. It was not unusual for this person to take nearly 2 hour dives so it didn't become apparent that something might have happened until around 10pm.

While the guests that were awake watched the surface from the boat, the crew sent out two skiffs and searched the nearly glass calm waters for hours in several patterns. They sent divers in to check under the boat and pontoons and towards the area that he may have last been seen on the wall. The Belizean Coast Guard was called, though hours later they indicated there was fog in Belize City and they could not send out a helicopter after all. In the morning at first light, several members of the crew went out to search the wall and around the boat to no avail. The Belizean Coast Guard did not show up until somewhere around 2pm the next day with a plane, chopper and search boat but found no signs of the missing diver. A crew member said they would continue searching for him for the next 3 days.

There are so many unanswered questions that may remain unanswered. There are so many "rules of diving" that were not followed and I hope people will keep this in mind when they let their experience get the best of them. He was really a great member of the crew and we were very saddened by this incident.

Sadly the crew had to pick up another group of people on Saturday and head back out, I hope they are all doing okay because it's finally hitting us.

This was originally posted by Nesher

Let me confirm the report of UWBB as it pertains to the incident on the 15 - 22 Dec 07 Belize Pilot itinerary.

Also by now I would think the next of kin would have been notified. The crew member was Cory, affectionately known by crew and guest as "Ginge".

He and I discovered while on this itinerary that our paths had actually crossed several times in Illinois between 1988 - 1993.

As you might expect the entire crew and guests were stunned and many, including myself, were visibly shaken by the news. I still believe many of us remain in a functioning state of shock, disbelief, even denial.

Ginge had just completed the trip DVD presentation when he immediately left for the night dive. As reported earlier, there are so many questions remaining that it would not be prudent to speculate at this moment.

One thing that is clear in this is the UNDERWHELMING RESPONSE of the Belizean Coast Guard. They refused to come out immediately because they claimed it was too foggy when called at 0300hrs.

When the fog broke at 0500hrs still there was no word, sign or indication of when they might show up. Twelve hours later at approximately 1500hrs (3:00 pm) a Cessna 172 without any markings arrived on the scene and executed a search pattern.

Close to 30 minutes later a chopper arrived and then about another forty-five minutes a small speed boat eventually came. The initial search by the Belizean Coast Guard lasted all of about an hour.

Then the chopper left to refuel (we never saw it again), the Cessna broke off the search never to be seen again, and the speed boat with a crew of four took off.

(Supposedly, they were to stay in the area for two days and resume the search)

While Ginge's body was never recovered during the entire search. I remain hopeful that a thorough investigation will take place by some authorities whether Belizean or American.

Realistically, we have to classify this as a "Diver Missing or Lost at Sea", but, I still remain hopeful for a miracle.

Next week, I'll post my trip report, but before that I want to honor the memory of a really good guy.

Let me reiterate something UWBB said that just might save someone's life.

ALWAYS execute proper diving procedures. NEVER relax safety protocols.

And if you don't have any form of safety devices, i.e horns, safety sausages, etc., go purchase at least a couple different things.

For those of you who understand the value and power of pray, please remember this young man's family and friends in Peoria & Chicago, Ill.

Pray also for the Nekton family of administrators, owners, crew members, support staff and repeat guests as well.

Don't forget to pray for those who were his shipmates and the guests who were there when this actually happened.

We are all affected by this tragic event in one way or another. Remember to be safe at all times. Blessings to you all.

This is sad but does not suprise me in the least.

On my trip with Nekton - it was common practice for the off duty crew to solo dive.

This was originally posted by DeputyDan

This is sad but does not suprise me in the least.

On my trip with Nekton - it was common practice for the off duty crew to solo dive.

This was originally posted by DeputyDan

This is common practice for alot of DM's........my son did it many hundreds of times on Roatan & when I went out on the Fling this past summer, DM's dove solo(during the paying passenger's SI)...Is it right, no---but does it happen often, yes..........Did the DM's I mention break 'rules' like this guy did???--no---that's probably the key difference......Sorry for the incident(diver's family & friends), hopefully someone will read this & learn from mistakes............GEAUX TIGERS............

when I went out on the Fling this past summer, DM's dove solo(during the paying passenger's SI)...Is it right, no---but does it happen often, yes..........Did the DM's I mention break 'rules' like this guy did???--no

Not to hijack, but the Fling DM's and crew are subject to the same rules as her passengers when on recreational dives. If they are diving solo, they are properly equipped and certified solo divers.

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread. As I have been in this situation myself, I understand the pain and loss of a diver while in command of the vessel. My condolences to the family, and Captain, I do feel your pain. There is no worse feeling in the world than not knowing, and having to board the next group of passengers without a chance to gather it all in.

Frank Wasson
M/V Spree

I would hope the crew on boats I'm on would be held to an even higher standard. They shouldn't be allowed to set such a poor example (if the initial speculation and description of his gear and routine are accurate) or disrupt the commercial trip.

Our prayers for Ginge's family, friends, crew, and everyone affected by this terrible tragedy.

Sincerely, alashas

Was this Cory that just joined the Nekton crew this summer? I was onboard the Rorqual from Sept 15-22, 2007 trip and there were three new crew members. They were Cory, Aaron and Patrick. Cory was reassigned to the Pilot and 1st headed to the shipyard in Florida. Then the Pilot was then heading to Belize for the winter season.

Cory had blonde hair and was very easy spoken??

I have voiced my concerns of crew members diving by themselfs to the office before. This is not the first time for a crew member to die when diving by themself on Nekton.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom