Diver dies in Hood Canal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok....finally found something....
ELDON, Wash. (AP) - A Spokane man died during the weekend in a Mason County scuba diving training class in Hood Canal.

The Mason County Coroner's Office says 54-year-old John W. Gray apparently became separated from the class, held in the waters near Eldon, around 3 p.m. on Saturday.

Coroner West Stockwell says a diver found Gray with his breathing regulator out of his mouth and uanresponsive at about 30 feet underwater.

Life-saving efforts weren't successful, and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The coroner's office will conduct an autopsy. The death is being investigated

Condolences to his family...terrible that this happened. Wonder if it was at Mikes Beach Resort?

Not sure about that, but Mike's is pretty much in Eldon, is it not? I don't think there's another dive site very close, at least not a well known one.

Husband and wife were in the class together. :(

What type of class?

A class is one scenario where I would not expect the sentence "a diver found **** with his breathing regulator out of his mouth" to be in the report. It implies that he was out of contact with other divers for a period of time and that is not acceptable during a class. I would not want to be the instructor, that would be my worst nightmare.

I quit teaching in Hood Canal because it was too hard to keep even a couple of people in sight. The viz can be extremely sucky.

Hi guys and gals. The diver who died in Hood Canal this past weekend was a close friend of my family. He was a triathlete so I know he was in good shape. More importantly, John was a loving family man who will be sadly missed by all.

I live in New Jersey so it's been tough to get any details on exactly what transpired. As one of you mentioned, his wife was in class with him so you can imagine what a tough time she's going through. I don't want to upset her any more than she already is right now by asking her questions so I'm hoping some of you can help.

I'm a DSAT Tec Deep Diver and a PADI Assistant Instructor, and I was also a New York City Police Officer back in the day so I have a lot of questions that I'm having trouble getting answers to. If anyone has any more information on what happened, I would greatly appreciate it.

Some questions I have off the top of my head are: How many students were in the class? How many instructors and divemasters were supervising the class? What was the water temp? What was the viz like? What kind of equipment was he diving? What dive were they on...first or second of the day.....and first,second,third,or fourth of the certification weekend?

If you have general knowledge of the incident, please post on the forum. If you have more specific knowledge, please feel free to PM me.

I would really appreciate any help you can provide in helping to bring some understanding and some closure to the family.

Thanks.

I hope you get PMed with the info you are looking for. I think you know the probability of getting all that info outside of official reports will be slim because of the potential for a law suit.
My condolensces to the family and especially his wife who had to endure when this all took place. How horrific that must have been.

Thanks to all of you who have offered condolences and/or PMed me with information concerning John's death. His wife, family, and I really appreciate it. If you have any more info, it's easier for me to check my email at work than it is to check the forums. My email is fivetraffic3@mac.com

Thanks again. Safe diving to all of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom