Fatality in Cozumel Nov 21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The information is sparse. She was a sixty year old woman in good health and am experienced diver, according to her step daughter

They were diving off Chankanaab on the wreck.

I hope if someone finds out more info about what happened they'll post it here. The Cozumel sub-forum thread about it has some info, but kind of gets buried in the threads about where to stay and which Dive Ops to use.

The bottom line is this diver separated from the group and was going to surface I believe. Regardless, she was never seen alive again. I am sure the family will get the results of the autopsy, and maybe that will provide an answer.

So sad. I dove twice last year in Cozumel and im going again next Sept. I am very impressed with the safety of the boats, captains and crew ...we always board early and check the O2, and first aid on the boats...all was in order...the DM's explained each dive well and the dive plans...unfortunatly i did observe divers who would not dive the plan or follow directions of the DM...I actually saw a diver, when signaled by the DM to surface due to low air, refuse to do so and continued his dive..

Ultimately it comes down to each diver being responsible for themselves...They are all certified and have the right to refuse to follow directions...the only thing the boat operators can do is refuse to take them out again....49 is a young age (i know some think this is old) how ever there can be health issues from heart/ lungs to just good ol panick...now one here can know what happened until the medical is released...however many times that is given to the family and the family does not make it public....unlike others here i would not dream of making a conclusion or statement of what occured without first hand knowledge...to do so would be hurtful to all and very irresponsible...

So sad. I dove twice last year in Cozumel and im going again next Sept. I am very impressed with the safety of the boats, captains and crew ...we always board early and check the O2, and first aid on the boats...all was in order...the DM's explained each dive well and the dive plans...unfortunatly i did observe divers who would not dive the plan or follow directions of the DM...I actually saw a diver, when signaled by the DM to surface due to low air, refuse to do so and continued his dive..

Ultimately it comes down to each diver being responsible for themselves...They are all certified and have the right to refuse to follow directions...the only thing the boat operators can do is refuse to take them out again....49 is a young age (i know some think this is old) how ever there can be health issues from heart/ lungs to just good ol panick...now one here can know what happened until the medical is released...however many times that is given to the family and the family does not make it public....unlike others here i would not dream of making a conclusion or statement of what occured without first hand knowledge...to do so would be hurtful to all and very irresponsible...

All good ideas for personal responsibility. Do you check the tanks for carbon monoxide as well?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom