Need new octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm posting here because I need a new reg set-up. I like it deep and am replacing my old set. Any advice? Thanks

Not much to go on. What is your projected budget? DIN or yoke? Standard or long hose configuration? What does "like it deep" mean (sounds like an x-rated movie)? What is deep? For some it's 60 feet. For me right now I consider over 150 as "deep". If I get my projected training done this season it will go to over 200 as deep. Piston or diaphragm. Cold water or all caribbean? Ice? Can't see your location on my droid using tapatalk. Personally I use HOG's on my doubles and single tank set ups for everything from under the ice to quarries and the caribbean. Long hose. DIN. And yes I do sell them.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Deep means 100+ft. every dive, cracked 200 ft. several times. I can buy an apadter. Price range up to $1000. I expect my equipment to last and have to be able to get is serviced in the west, Denver or Phoenix. I have used a posioden(sp.) set-up for 15+ years, love it. But new diver in family and need another reg, might as well buy good. Normally warm water but cold is not out of the question, I live in the high mountain desert. Configuration, normal, I guess. I like at least 5ft for my spare. It has been a long time since I have had to think about this type of equipment. I have never heard of 'Hog" before so I need to research. Thanks Debbie

As with many kit-related questions, a lot boils down to personal preference and what brands prove convenient to service locally. I'm an active instructor, I use Apeks 1st and 2nd stages and I find them to be an excellent breathe, bullet-proof reliable, long-lasting, easier to service than other brands I've tried, great in warm or cold water and suitable for my interpretation of 'deep', down to 40m... my instructors are Tech-rated and go a lot deeper with the same equipment!

Specifically, I use the FST 1st stage, ATX100 2nd stage and Egress alternate 2nd stage. I was using an ATX40, but found that the Egress sits flatter while not in use and has the benefit of working properly regardless of which way up it is when the recipient breathes from it.

Can't recommend them highly enough, but - there will be many posts after this saying the same about their brand of choice! :wink:

You would like the scubapro MK25 with a S600 or 555. They breath excellent at depth wont have to suck to hard like some other regs ive used.

I've been using Hog D1s for primary sets and deco/stage regs. They work and they're relatively inexpensive. Instead of buying a cheap octo, just get an extra second stage of whatever you decide on. It might be a good time to consider switching to a longer hose on your primary to donate and putting your secondary on a necklace too.

HOGS are newish but very rapidly gaining a large and loyal following, apparently breathe very well, service kits openly available and well priced, if I were looking at a new set they would probably be on the top of my list, the money tree in my garden has died and I also service my own gear. ScubaPro MK17/25 1st, MK17 usually is used if diving colder waters although many report no issues with MK25 in colder water, with S600 2nd also has a very good reputation and a large following. I have dived an Aqualung Legend and liked it but was a little pricey for me. Atomic make good regs and all models apparently breathe the same, the differences between models, except 7LP ports on one of the Z2s, is materials used. Personally I use Apeks, FSR with XTX50s and DS4 with ATX40s. I dive both warm and cold, in my experience APEKS have been very reliable are relatively simple to service and I can get service kits easily. Most will recommend what they use there aren't too many bad regs made if any, it boils down to personal preference and conditions you dive. I like both primary and back up being the same, same breathing characteristics, same service kits. Good luck.

I really like the HOGs and I'm amazed at the prices.

HOG 1st and 2nd stages go for about $260, I know of higher priced "octos only" that I don't think work any better like the Atomic Z2 Octo at $290.

Stick with International brands that you know will be serviciable well into the future. Aqualung, Scubapro, Mares, Oceanic, Sherwood. Hog maybe great, cheap regulators, but they dont have the dealer network the big compnies have- If you service them yourself its no problem but for the other 99% service might be hard to come by.

Back
Top Bottom