Using Vintage Reg for a pony set up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABay Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’ve got a USD Calypso J reg i bought about 1970 when i started diving. Gave up diving mid 80s for career, family, etc. Got back into it in 2020 at age 65 and got my old reg serviced and used that, with no problems. Bought a new regulator recently and am thinking of using old reg for a pony set up. Am i nuts? Old reg is well maintained and breathes as easy as my new thousand dollar reg! Old reg was top of the line in late 60’s/early 70’s for $100! I’d like to use it for sentimental reasons but I’m not sentimental enough to die on that hill. Thoughts?

I’ve got a USD Calypso J reg i bought about 1970 when i started diving. Gave up diving mid 80s for career, family, etc. Got back into it in 2020 at age 65 and got my old reg serviced and used that, with no problems. Bought a new regulator recently and am thinking of using old reg for a pony set up. Am i nuts? Old reg is well maintained and breathes as easy as my new thousand dollar reg! Old reg was top of the line in late 60’s/early 70’s for $100! I’d like to use it for sentimental reasons but I’m not sentimental enough to die on that hill. Thoughts?
More power to you -- sure, use it!

My older regulators have all found their way to pony and stage bottles -- and the actual technology hasn't really changed in more than five decades.

The particular one in the photo below, dates from the mid-1970s; has survived through eight presidents; and still works beautifully -- wouldn't even think of replacing it . . .

Attachments

• IMG_3540.jpeg
    IMG_3540.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 34
For what it's worth, I'm still using a reg my late father bought new in 1958 as one of my main regs. 😎👀

I still have and use a USD Aquarius that's the same era as your Calypso. If it's been serviced and it works use it, in my opinion

No, not nuts at all. I have both a 40cf and a 19cf pony set up and ready to go. The 40..( pony ? Maybe, ) really half of an 80…w/pony pack from XSDivers still easy to don over the head and go in…The 19 cf I have rigged with a foam back pad ( for bare-back diving in a pinch) ..and a ‘Sea Hunt’ style custom tank harness by A and D Adventures Allan Klauda. An excellent ‘stealth’ pack for hiding in a small dive bag to go in to a pool, to inspect a boat prop or anchor etc. and easy to put on. Both have DHRs on them. The 40 has a voit 50 Fathom I got from TSM and the 19. …my Blue Drager. Old but serviced and reliable. I really prefer the ‘Older‘ gear if it is serviced and working. I do service my own as service techs are hard to come by for this stuff anymore. IMHO, keep a-diving it. You won’t be disappointed. 😎

Here is what appears to be the bargain of the century

why buy used?

why buy used?
Wow! Appears to be a mk-20 clone in a mk-25 body? They don't mention externally adjustable IP...

Love to open one up...

why buy used?
…for me mostly for the ability to be able to safely dive ‘nostalgic’ gear. This is truly a super find IMHO. Not to be ‘out-of-line’ I have found and purchased unused NIB regs and other gear on line as well. I bought a late 60s Scubapro reg setup mostly for the vintage gauge. The reg, gauge, and power inflator was still store tagged and disassembled in plastic bags in the original boxes. Yes they DO exist. Not easy to find though. All in great working order. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom