Using Vintage Reg for a pony set up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(continued)
I routinely dive my 30+ year old Conshelf because I’ve had it a very long time, and know it to be totally reliable. Also, in a pinch I could do minor servicing. If I were to assemble a pony bottle rig, I’d use similar vintage parts from my stash for the auxiliary regulator. A “lowly” Aquarius comes to mind… a relatively small and simple 1st stage with a standard 1085 second attached. What’s not to like?
🐸

My preferred single hose reg for all around duty is a Conshelf SE that I purchased new circa 1986. I have thousands of dives on my old Connie and use it in cold, turbid, temperate, tropical and contaminated waters. Never had a problem and plan on using it for another +30 years [or until I wear out].

Attachments

• Conshelf-SE.jpg
    Conshelf-SE.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 26
US Calypso J has several versions. The one I have is known as the Calypso IV which has no J mechanism, but a blind cap.
However, Calypso J and further models, besides of being too bulky because of the reserve mechanism housing, also has a fixed built-in joke.
For a pony, it would be recommended to have a modern compact DIN unbalanced piston First stage.

I’m don't own and don’t plan on using a pony bottle, bail out bottle, ior other secondary tanks as I do only casual, low stress rec diving now with a single tank. I join this conversation to make this point… if you have any kind of secondary tank, the reg mounted on it should be just as reliable as the primary regulator on your main tank(s). Like a parachute, if you need it. You really need it!
(coninued)
Good point GF. It is good to know you have the capability of using your SCUBA if it is really needed. Having a ‘dedicated’ pony bottle for just this purpose is a personal choice. My 19 cf pony hides in my dive bag and it can be toted with me on trips for mostly quick U/W visits. My 40 cu will last me half the time of what a ‘humongous’ 80 or even a 71.2 cf will in shallow water, yet it is easy to don and remove in a pinch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom