Building a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve decided to have redundant air. I have a MK10 and couple of SP 109’s that I was going to use to build a backup reg set. But now that I’ve spent so much on a drysuit and it’s associated accoutrements, I’m pondering using the MK10 and a 109 on the pony. Then my only additional cost for the pony would mostly be the bottle, hose and maybe a DIN conversion kit for the MK10.

Or should I keep those beautiful vintage SP regs together and patiently shop for a dedicated reg set for the pony? Edit: Minimum water temps of around 45 F.

Thanks for hearing the ruminations of this old sofa surfer as I try to get my back healed.

To be honest, I had the same thought. Have a beautiful Mk10 and 109 sitting on the shelf. They will work fine, but would look out of place with the rest of my kit. I opted to leave my treasure on the shelf and used a Mk2 and G250 on the pony. I have seen several replace their octo with a mirror of their primary second and use the octo on the pony. Hope this helps.

... the pony would mostly be the bottle, hose ...
Just curious........But 2 questions:
*) What size pony?
*) How & where will you mount it ?

Just curious........But 2 questions:
*) What size pony?
*) How & where will you mount it ?
I’ve read a lot here and I’m leaning toward an inverted 19cf bottle on a back mount using a Shark or Quick Draw. Back mount because I’m pretty new and not ready to task manage a slung bottle.

I can't say I've ever had a pony on my back but I also didn't find slinging it to be much of a problem... you really don't even notice it.

If I was going new I'd probably just get the DGX D6 stage Reg package for $350. Or even look at the DGX Gears FIRST if I really wanted to save money.

I’ve decided to have redundant air. I have a MK10 and couple of SP 109’s that I was going to use to build a backup reg set. But now that I’ve spent so much on a drysuit and it’s associated accoutrements, I’m pondering using the MK10 and a 109 on the pony. Then my only additional cost for the pony would mostly be the bottle, hose and maybe a DIN conversion kit for the MK10.

Or should I keep those beautiful vintage SP regs together and patiently shop for a dedicated reg set for the pony? Edit: Minimum water temps of around 45 F.

Thanks for hearing the ruminations of this old sofa surfer as I try to get my back healed.
One note on your beautiful vintage regs...

Depending on how you dive, your Pony Regs tend to get dragged a scratched a fair amount. They may get a little dinged up over time. I tend to put a quality-but-homely plastic body reg on my pony, like an S600.

I do a lot of photography, and when you get low in the sand a slung pony gets down and dirty.

I have seen several replace their octo with a mirror of their primary second and use the octo on the pony. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I thought about that and if I were solo diving. I would consider that. But my experience level dictates buddy diving for a while and therefore keeping the octo.

I guess my motivation for the pony is the dark/low viz of the lake where I dive in which I can lose contact with my buddy in the blink of an eye. Edit: Not solo diving, but being prepared to if I need to.

I’ve read a lot here and I’m leaning toward an inverted 19cf bottle on a back mount using a Shark or Quick Draw. Back mount because I’m pretty new and not ready to task manage a slung bottle.
Slinging a bottle is a lot nicer. A few reasons:

1) When on the back it makes changing out your primary tank a hassle. Hassles get left behind eventually.

2) Back mounting can be a risk if you accidentally start the dive grabbing the bailout reg instead of your primary or octo. I strongly suggest you distinguish your Pony Reg so you NEVER confuse it. Use a different style mouthpiece in a bright color for example. You'll know you have the wrong reg by feel and color.

2a) A slung pony has the 2nd stage bungied to the bottle, you never to the above.

3) If you sling the pony, you can hand it off to a buddy easily if they need a bail out.

4) A 40cf pony is nearly neutral in the water. So, it won't impact your buoyancy or weighting. A 19cf will be negative, and it's probably not enough gas to bailout from 100 feet. A 40cf is the ideal size and you won't notice it in the water. Your pony will also loose gas over time pretty quickly. The 19cf at 3000psi is down to 2000psi pretty soon...

I use a 109 (converted to balanced) that looks like it went through a war. Functions perfectly, and I could probably drive nails with it. The character it displays is perfect as a pony.

As to the mk2 and 109 being cold tolerant:

1709577348156.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom