Building a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't advise on the Scubapro regs.....but will say that if you ever intend to dive fresh water there in Utah, you'll probably encounter some "high definition" thermoclines and should have an enviro sealed system to prevent freeze-up.

I love my Quickdraw bracket for a back-mounted 19 or 13. Simple, stays with the BC, and makes tank swaps a breeze.

My primary is my good old faithful Apeks ATX200, and my pony set is a Mares Abyss 1st along with a Zeagle F8 2nd. Both set-up's in DIN.

Whatever you do, I would strongly consider having your pony 2nd on a necklace and also that your pony 2nd does not perfectly match your primary 2nd.... Since my "event" last year, I've gone to a necklaced pony 2nd and also a replacement mouthpiece that is distinctly different from the Comfobite that I have on my primary. If you are going with a back-mount pony, then this thread is probably worth a read.

Thanks. I thought about that and if I were solo diving. I would consider that. But my experience level dictates buddy diving for a while and therefore keeping the octo.
I am not implying that you remove the octo, just replace the reg with a mirror or identical reg as your primary. This leaves your original octo as a spare and use it on the pony until you can afford a proper regulator for your pony. I used my old octo until I got a G250 to add to the Mk2. This set makes for a good parts set when traveling too.

just replace the reg with a mirror or identical reg as your primary.
Respectfully, I would suggest the exact opposite to help reduce the possibility of accidentally being an idiot, like me......and confusing your primary with your pony... :)

Respectfully, I would suggest the exact opposite to help reduce the possibility of accidentally being an idiot, like me......and confusing your primary with your pony... :)
I believe you have misunderstood, I am saying to have your octo and primary as the same regulator. Move the old yellow octo to the pony. Then, there is no way to grab the wrong regulator. When I dive my pony the octo is on a necklace and pony clipped off, again, can't get wrong regulator. I practice reg swaps, my primary and pony have clips, but different regs and primary goes around neck, can't confuse them. Octo on necklace, can't confuse it with anything. I don't panic underwater, had several chances to test it. So, nothing needs to happen in a rush, that tends to take longer anyways.

This ^... I feel sorry for the people with the back mount ponies on the boat during surface intervals... it always looks like quite a hassle switching tanks.
I truly do not understand this logic. Are you saying that since switching tanks is a hassle, then we should just leave the old tank and skip the second dive? Of course not, unclipping the pony during a tank swap is so simple that I don't even notice the extra effort. The choice to dive or not to dive a pony has nothing to do with tank swapping, it has to do with risk and risk mitigation. Does adding a bit of de-fog to your mask during interval cause hassle, so next time go without and see how that works for ya. I just don't get the logic? Maybe I don't see any of the SI processes as hassles, but rather part of the diving process.

Upside-down and back mount gives you access to the valve in case anything happens and you need to reach it.
Dave brings up some very good points from a very experienced diver. I agree with most, but I'm a BM pony diver so I diverge a little.
1) When on the back it makes changing out your primary tank a hassle. Hassles get left behind eventually.
A mount system that stays on your cam band reduces the hassle. Anything that mounts to your tank is a pita. Overly large pony become a hassle and get left in the trunk. Slung can get left behind due to the "hassle" as well.
2) Back mounting can be a risk if you accidentally start the dive grabbing the bailout reg instead of your primary or octo. I strongly suggest you distinguish your Pony Reg so you NEVER confuse it. Use a different style mouthpiece in a bright color for example. You'll know you have the wrong reg by feel and color.
Avoid this by putting a reg keeper on it and clipping to your shoulder d-ring when setting up the kit. Have the pony reg be substantially different than your primary and octo (if you use one) so you don't mistake it
3) If you sling the pony, you can hand it off to a buddy easily if they need a bail out.
Pony is for the diver carrying it imo. It's not a stage or bailout that are carried and designed for that potential.
Piss
Off
Not
Yours
A 19cf will be negative, and it's probably not enough gas to bailout from 100 feet.
I've taken a 13 from 100. Get moving up and stop at 20 fsw. We were trained at 60 fpm when I was cert in 2000/2001 and it works fine for a cesa. Follow your slowest bubbles and keep breathing.
Your pony will also loose gas over time pretty quickly. The 19cf at 3000psi is down to 2000psi pretty soon...
If he gets a transfill whip he can top off from an HP 100 with no discernable loss to the main tank. Keep it at 3k and transfill very 10-15 dives

I use this system. Not sure on the name but I have 2 of them.
20231222_173212.jpg
20231222_173253.jpg
20231222_173323.jpg

This ^... I feel sorry for the people with the back mount ponies on the boat during surface intervals... it always looks like quite a hassle switching tanks.
How so? I pull 1 pin and my pony is off. I then swap tanks and put the pony back on with the single pin. The system used makes or breaks it.

But my experience level dictates buddy diving for a while and therefore keeping the octo.
I would take a page from the sidemount and CCR communities:
  • Sidemount the pony bottle (CCR divers on a BP/W often do this for their bailout, it adds a single bungee)
  • Necklace the pony second stage (ala sidemount and back-mounted doubles thinking)
  • Primary donate long hose from the back tank (there is not a third second-stage regulator)
Advantages:
  • I will not accidentally mix up the pony reg (as @NW Dive Dawg indicated, it's a possibility unless you take steps to prevent it)
  • Zero issues changing out tanks for a second dive
  • I will absolutely NOT be tempted to leave the pony behind (with only a single second stage on the back tank)
  • If I ever have to donate, I would appreciate the option of not being "in each other's face" after things calm down
A sidemounted AL40 is rock solid and plenty of gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom