Building a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One key I didn't mention here is that I have a 4lb weight on the left side of my main tank. I can stop finning and stay flat. Without the counterweight I turn turtle pretty quick.

So why would anyone suggest he is wrong for liking it that way?
I don't think anyone said he is wrong, but there are some valid questions/criticisms. He put it out there as an example of what you could do, but his reasoning may not apply to you (or other readers for that matter). He addressed the one about his need to access the valve rather than leave it always on. In the interest of discussion, I would leave it on, but I also have a knob on my reg to "detune" it if I were on a scooter. There are multiple options.

I would also put it on the left to better protect the regulator, as was suggested above. Alternatively, a non-standard valve would protect things on the right. (TBH, I would sidemount it, but there are tradeoffs to that decision as well.)

No one said he had to change or is gonna die if he doesn't. But it's possible he may not have thought of some of these things. However, if he has and discarded a particular idea, he likely has his reasons (e.g., freeflow while scootering). Especially in such cases, understanding those reasons is useful for others; again, they might or might not apply. It's just a discussion.

This is not pointed at anyone in particular, but why is there criticism of @Boarderguy ‘s dive rigging?. Everyone’s kit probably evolves over time and this is his happy place in that evolution. So why would anyone suggest he is wrong for liking it that way? This isn’t the DIR forum, right?

I prefer to look at it as a means to learn. People should be able to defend their configuration in a logical manner. Almost ANY configuration can be defended because people have different priorities. If your priorities are different, then the end result is often different.

I think a 19 cu-ft for recreational diving is ridiculous (because I value weight reduction over the obvious safety that the ("excessively" large tank provides).

I mount my pony straight up and on because I value simplicity and never had a freeflow problem with the second stage around my neck - that I typically adjust to NOT freeflow.

I think blindly manipulating a valve that you are dependent on for continued life is not the best choice for a new diver - I'm neither WRONG nor RIGHT.

Lastly, way, way too many people are very opinionated about their gear, but fail to realize or acknowledge that there is a huge diversity in environments, underwater activities and personal skills (not to mention priorities) - all of which can heavily influence gear selection and configuration.

I think you configuration is fine, but I bet it will change with time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom