Do you/would you fly with an 19hr surface interval?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian2828

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know this issue has been addressed elsewhere, but I'd like to hear what people actually do. I'm going to be doing multiple shallow dives (30ft) over a 72 hour period (estimating 18hrs total bottom time) and currently have a flight scheduled for 19 hours after the last dive. This meets the 2002 DAN consensus guidelines, but just barely. I know a longer interval is better, but I don't know that cancelling the afternoon dive and giving myself four more hours would make a difference. What would others do in this situation?

Without getting into some detailed, argumentive debate over decompression theory and what not.... I personally would feel fine missing one dive and padding my margins. Is it the end of the world if you don't? Probably not. You have a chance of getting DCS one way or the other and it's practically impossible one way or the other to come back in hine-site and say I didn't get bent because I took the extra four hours or I did get bent because I didn't.

Just my opinion, that's what I'd do for me. Now excuse me while I go don my flame retardant suit.

I know this issue has been addressed elsewhere, but I'd like to hear what people actually do. I'm going to be doing multiple shallow dives (30ft) over a 72 hour period (estimating 18hrs total bottom time) and currently have a flight scheduled for 19 hours after the last dive. This meets the 2002 DAN consensus guidelines, but just barely. I know a longer interval is better, but I don't know that cancelling the afternoon dive and giving myself four more hours would make a difference. What would others do in this situation?

Personally, I'd give myself a good margin for no-fly. If there's some problem with pressurization or you managed to accumulate more nitrogen than you thought, you're going to have a really bad flight.

Snorkeling is fun too.

flots.

Maybe a better question is: If I don't pad my "fly time" and I get bent! How long will I be unable to dive?

Personally, It's not worth the risk. I'd rather be diving then wishing I could go diving!!

You can stay indefinitely at 20.5' and still ascend immediately to the surface. 19 hours after a 30' dive, I'd not worry. It's all about coming out clean anyhow. Do slower and longer ascents and dive nitrox if available. Hang at 15' until low on gas, then take 5-10 minutes to surface. Do this the last day and your flying risk is so minimal I, personally not professionally, wouldn't worry at all.

You could also add Oxygen on the surface to speed things along with negligible risk ..

I wouldn't have a problem with flying after the recommended no fly time.

Airplanes don't exactly have a reputation for leaving early- what's the worst that could happen? :)

Thats 6 hours a day bottom time. I would skip the last dive or change my flight. Its unlikely you will get bent, but "unlikely" is not good enough for me before taking a flight.

Stay safe. Its no fun being bent.

If only going to 30 feet I wouldn't think twice about flying after 19 hours. I have flown a number of times 18 hours after my last dive of a week trip doing mutiple dives for 6 straight days. I dive Nitrox, make the last dive somewhat shallow, maybe less than 50 feet, do slow ascents and longer safety stops. The 24 hour rule is fairly conservative compared to Navy tables. And think about it do you really think the science behind it just coincidentaly turned out to be a round number like 24 hours? That number was picked as much to have a conservative safety factor and be something easy for people to remember versus something like 18.60 hours. But's that just my opinion, do whatever makes you comfortable.

Someone who's opinion I respect said anyone who gets bent on a flight was probably bent when they got on the plane.
The chances of getting bent following a shallow dive and a 19hr SI are probably the same as if you didn't fly.
But if you are worried, don't do the last dive. I have flown after much more aggressive dives and less SI but everyone is different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom