Cutting the Cord?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba 2

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
With cordless primary lights becoming increasingly commonplace in diving and seem to be advancing in technology rather quickly(like light and battery technology in general). So with that in mind, if you still use a corded primary light at what point in their advancement would you consider switching to a cordless one? Burn time? Brightness? Proven track record of dependability?

I know I personally made the switch to the Dive Rite RX-20 because the burn times and brightness were comparable to my 10W LED corded primary.

While I have yet to dive one of the Sola lights, I have handled one. They are solid, well built units. So, aside from the size....does anything else really tickle your fancy about them?

They are multi power level and multi beam angle. By combining those factors with the size, burn time, and the loss of that annoying cord....they bought my buisiness. The 600 and 1200 models don't get the beam penetration that my dive rite lights do, but I'm a wreck guy not a caver...most compartments I'm in aren't that big and hopefully aren't silted out when I get there...so not a huge deal.

The tech 600 has a longer burn time than my rx-10, and the 1200 is only a little bit quicker to run dead. For my purposes (wreck) I don't need a light with half the burn time of any of their models.

With cordless primary lights becoming increasingly commonplace in diving and seem to be advancing in technology rather quickly(like light and battery technology in general). So with that in mind, if you still use a corded primary light at what point in their advancement would you consider switching to a cordless one? Burn time? Brightness? Proven track record of dependability?

I know I personally made the switch to the Dive Rite RX-20 because the burn times and brightness were comparable to my 10W LED corded primary.

Corded lights have been obsolete for everything but cave and serious wreck diving. For night diving you do not need or in fact want super bright lights. Even my smallest handheld is too bright for some tastes.

N

if you still use a corded primary light at what point in their advancement would you consider switching to a cordless one? Burn time? Brightness? Proven track record of dependability?
All of those factors already suggest I could switch. But, I won't until my can light dies - needs a new light head, needs a new battery, etc. I don't feel any need to spend money on a new light until then. There really isn't anything 'wrong' with my can light (also a Dive Rite 10W LED corded primary) that compels me to replace it yet.

I seriously considered going cordless, but my cave instructor would not allow it. Once that changes and the majority of cave instructors endorse them, I'll gladly get rid of that entanglement hazard - see the other thread.

I've yet to see an led that keeps up with a 21w hid, esp in murky water.

at our current technology level, a corded 21w beats all the rest.

All of those factors already suggest I could switch. But, I won't until my can light dies - needs a new light head, needs a new battery, etc. I don't feel any need to spend money on a new light until then. There really isn't anything 'wrong' with my can light (also a Dive Rite 10W LED corded primary) that compels me to replace it yet.

Same... I've had a Salvo 10A/21W for 7 years now. The last rebuild (which was ballast, battery, and cord) was something like $425. There's nothing even remotely comparable in that price range (or even at double), and I'll gladly have LM rebuild it again when the time comes.

The Halcyon Focus has some serious potential going forward; especially if they develop a cordless version. But it's not worth $1350 right now just to drop the cord.

Back
Top Bottom