North Mozambique Trip Dec 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I realise it is early days but I am already starting to plan my trip next year and wanted to get some views from anyone that might have dived in northern Mozamique. I am driving a Landrover back to the UK and want to visit the northern part of Mozambique from Biera up.
I spent a month a few years ago travelling done through Moz but didn't have any dive gear with me just snorkels. This time round I want to be prepared and having seen some lovely places many of the beaten track I thought it would be nice to discover them.
Ideally it would be good to find another vehcile and go in convoy and that way dive with 3-4 people. The plan is travel up the coast along the shore line diving in the mornings and driving the afternoon. Either using local fisherman to take us to reefs or just swimming out, can this be done? Refilling our tanks ourselves and bush camping all of which I have done before without any problems.
The dates I have in mind is Dec though I can be flexible as January is also possible. So questions are:
1.Apart from Pemba are there any other dive operators in the north?
2. What is diving like, I was in Sodwana bay this year and that was really good, is it comparable
3. Do you think the above is feasible
4. Finally anyone interested in coming along?
Thanks

this might work for me as a trip. how long do you plan on being in mozambique?

well the maximum visa is 30 days so not more than that, but I reckon more like 25 but I am flexible. As it will most likely be my last visit for some time I want to make sure I get to do and see everything along the way.
What are your plans?

Nacala and Illia de Mozambique are worth looking into. Not much diving infrastructure North of Pemba that I know of apart from the Rani Resorts operations on Matemo and Medjumbe Island and Ibo Island all on the Quirimbas Archipelago. Medjumbe has a very impressive vertical drop off from 18m to 150 + otherwise I can't say I was blown away by the diving when I was there. Illia De Mozambique has a dive centre with access to the only C16 wreck in the world you can dive. And a guy called Mike was building a lodge in Nacala with dive gear and a boat when I was there in 2005 but I've lost his contact. Hope this helps I'd be interested to hear any feedback from your trip.

Hi,

I am also very curious about diving in Mozambique. I would love to know more about Pemba, Quirimbas, Matemos, Medjumbe……
How is the coral?
Chances of seeing Mantas and/or sharks?
What about Nudibranchs and other macro critters?

All the info I found is very vague. Thanks for the help :)

I realise it is early days but I am already starting to plan my trip next year and wanted to get some views from anyone that might have dived in northern Mozamique. I am driving a Landrover back to the UK and want to visit the northern part of Mozambique from Biera up.
I spent a month a few years ago travelling done through Moz but didn't have any dive gear with me just snorkels. This time round I want to be prepared and having seen some lovely places many of the beaten track I thought it would be nice to discover them.
Ideally it would be good to find another vehcile and go in convoy and that way dive with 3-4 people. The plan is travel up the coast along the shore line diving in the mornings and driving the afternoon. Either using local fisherman to take us to reefs or just swimming out, can this be done? Refilling our tanks ourselves and bush camping all of which I have done before without any problems.
The dates I have in mind is Dec though I can be flexible as January is also possible. So questions are:
1.Apart from Pemba are there any other dive operators in the north?
2. What is diving like, I was in Sodwana bay this year and that was really good, is it comparable
3. Do you think the above is feasible
4. Finally anyone interested in coming along?
Thanks

Landydiver did you do this trip? can you share some information about diving in Mozambique? Anybody else knows more about the North part of the country?

What is diving like in Mozambique in Dec-Jan? It is the hot season, yes? Does the Viz deteriorate much? Marine life good then?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom