SK7 end mount compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

--tom--

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I have a Cobra that is edging close to a 1000 dives on it in little over 6 years, and I have always had an SK7 end mount compass (41111), just where I like it. Anyway in January, the SK7 finally failed (bubble). Okay, but since then two more SK7s have failed & at $85 a pop, it's starting to get a bit...uhm...disconcerting. By chance, was there a less than stellar production run? Just seemed unusual that this occurred in this short of time, but I have been unlucky before.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

We've had several go. At first, I thought it was damage I did to the plastic casing when taking them out of their original housing to put them into DSS boots. But I've heard a lot of reports of other folks having the same problem, and now you are going through them without even putting them in the boots. I wonder if they have changed something about the manufacturing process. It's an expensive item to replace over and over again, to be sure!

Has anyone contacted Suunto? I would be curious to hear their take on the issue and what kind of warranty action they may provide. I love my SK-7.

My Sk-7 went south a couple months ago. Great shape, never abused. The LDS talked with Suunto, returned the compass and I got a new one for $50.

I had one SK-7 that displayed a growing bubble about 3 years after purchasing it. It lived in an end-mount on the Suunto CB console.
I bought a replacement since I liked the performance of the compass and the modular design of the CB console. I was a little perturbed that the original SK-7 only lasted 3 years.

My other SK-7s have been working just fine for 7 years now.
Two of them survived the transplant to a DSS boot, but I could see how the process could be somewhat traumatic to the plastic housing of the compass.

Got eight, or ten, this shape and that, console and not
abused not abused bubbles cracks empty or salt water
rusty works, full not, slow any angle or work perfectly

They seem to have become larger and materials thinner

The fluid evaporates as do socks, but not wire coathangers

So I have a Cobra that is edging close to a 1000 dives on it in little over 6 years, and I have always had an SK7 end mount compass (41111), just where I like it. Anyway in January, the SK7 finally failed (bubble). Okay, but since then two more SK7s have failed & at $85 a pop, it's starting to get a bit...uhm...disconcerting. By chance, was there a less than stellar production run? Just seemed unusual that this occurred in this short of time, but I have been unlucky before.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Dear --tom--,
The SK7 is a very reliable compass, and we all agree here that you should not have that much trouble with it! What also concerns us is that you paid for replacements when, if purchased from an authorized Aqua Lung retailer, it should have been replaced under warranty! If possible we would like to see your defective units; I will contact you privately to discuss a solution.

To all those that have posted,
Thank you for your feedback! I will share all your comments with our repair department and product manager.

Kind regards,

The SK7 is a very reliable compass, and we all agree here that you should not have that much trouble with it! What also concerns us is that you paid for replacements when, if purchased from an authorized Aqua Lung retailer, it should have been replaced under warranty! If possible we would like to see your defective units; I will contact you privately to discuss a solution.

Hi Megan,

I don't blame the retailer, I didn't claim nor think it was a warranty. I am not even claiming this one is warranty, but I was hoping it would be reviewed, so thank you.

The pacific ocean is not known for being kind to equipment, & I use it; because of that I just figured the first one had eventually earned retirement, the next I assumed I was unlucky, the third failure in a short time prompted me to ask. Looking forward to your contact.

FYI to all. Megan has contacted me & a resolution has been made. She has done an outstanding job.

MEGAN: Please forward this message to your supervisor as a customer compliment for your service.

Tom Meisenholder
PADI MSDT 232385

FYI to all. Megan has contacted me & a resolution has been made. She has done an outstanding job.

MEGAN: Please forward this message to your supervisor as a customer compliment for your service.

Tom Meisenholder
PADI MSDT 232385
Tom, I'm happy to hear that Aqualung Customer Service has come through for you.
Did Megan or another Aqualung employee elaborate on the specific warranty that covers the SK-7?
More specifically, how long does the warranty extend? What kinds of problems are covered by the warranty?
Should we be able to get 5000, 500, or 50 dives out of a SK-7?
If the compass requires replacement, must the customer pay something or will it be replaced at no charge?
Is the warranty voided when transferring the compass to a Deep Sea Supply wristboot?

I think the take-home message to Aqualung/Suunto is that the compasses need to be built a little tougher.
It would be great to see this happen somehow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom