Many BC questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpenrod

Registered
Reaction score
Hello every. I am new to diving (actually getting certified in a few weeks) and I am new to the board. Now I realize that being so new to diving many of you may be wondering why I am asking about BC's when I could just rent one. The easy answer is I am too big for the standard BC's ( I am 6'1 and about 375 lbs). Because of my size I am afraid that to be comfortable diving I am going to have a BC customized. I have spoken with Zeagle and know they will customize the BC's I have also heard Sea Elite will customize BC's At any rate my question is are there any recomendations on either of these manufacturers? also what is the difference between the back inflator BC's and jacket BC's? Other than paying an arm and a leg for a custom job are there any recommendations on getting on that fits? Along those same lines any advice or recommendations you can give me regarding searching for the right BC would be appreciated. thanks.

Jpennrod,

I'm sure it will be only a matter of minutes before someone responds with the B/P-wing response, but I'm answering your question specifically to the B/C aspect.

I have a Zeagle "Tech" that I've dived with for a number of years. The Zeagle products, especially the B/C's seem to be all but bullet proof!

Scott Zeagle and all of the people at Zeagle Systems are absolutely superb when it comes to post sales support and service.

If you go the custom route, I highly recommend that you go with the Zeagle product.

Scott Zeagle puts his name on the line and he puts his money where his mouth is when it comes to his product. That's kinda hard to find nowadays . . .

Just my 2 cents worth . . .

the K

There are a great many BCs that should fit - they are the "wing" style BCs with a steel or soft backplate. These are somewhat more expensive than a jacket style BC but cheaper, I would have thought, than a made-to-measure jacket.
The backplate will last for ever and you upgrade the wing as you move on to doubles etc. So it should be cheaper in the long run. Most new divers buy loads of useless gear and then have to replace it later.

Find a shop that stocks this type of gear and try on a range. Some models will need a single tank adaptor and also perhaps a small wing that doesn't wrap round a single tank.

The DiveRite Transpac might be a good bet. Others include OMS & Halcyon.

This type of device operates in exactly the same way as a jacket BC. Air in to go up, out to go down. Rocket science it aint.

A good dive shop should help you - try to find one that caters for technical divers.

All the best with your course.

Chris

My husband is a big guy & loves his Dive Rite because you can customize it to fit any sized diver.

However, if you are not interested in back inflation, Seatec still puts out their MANTA jacket-style BC in XXXL.

jpenrod:
Hello every. I am new to diving (actually getting certified in a few weeks) and I am new to the board. Now I realize that being so new to diving many of you may be wondering why I am asking about BC's when I could just rent one. The easy answer is I am too big for the standard BC's ( I am 6'1 and about 375 lbs). Because of my size I am afraid that to be comfortable diving I am going to have a BC customized. I have spoken with Zeagle and know they will customize the BC's I have also heard Sea Elite will customize BC's At any rate my question is are there any recomendations on either of these manufacturers? also what is the difference between the back inflator BC's and jacket BC's? Other than paying an arm and a leg for a custom job are there any recommendations on getting on that fits? Along those same lines any advice or recommendations you can give me regarding searching for the right BC would be appreciated. thanks.

Like it a lot. I assume since you have discussed this with Zeagle, that their largerst BC will not fit you out of the box.

I'd recommend the Ranger LTD if you are going for a custom job.

Scott Zeagle is excellent, and on the board. Give him a call, and I'm sure that whatever he puts out for you will 1) fit, and 2) dive great. BTW the Ranger is a back inflate, and that is what I perfer. I've dived both the jacket and back inflates, and they both dive well, but my personal preference is the back inflate.

I would honestly recommend a backplate and wing for you because the size is so customizable. I have Halcyon stuff and I'm very happy with it. If your size should change in the future, you wouldn't have to get another bc, you can just adjust the webbing.

As far as more standard gear, the Ranger is an excellent bc.

R

jpenrod:
Other than paying an arm and a leg for a custom job are there any recommendations on getting on that fits?

Have you got a quote from your dive shop for a custom sized Zeagle BC? To be quite honest, we have people who need custom sizes say "That's all it costs?" far more than we hear that we are charging an arm and a leg!!!

I will let you in on a little secret - it costs us SIX Ranger BCs to make ONE custom BC. The reason we do it is simple - we can, and some customers need it. An extra $100 or so is really not too expensive for anything custom made, in my opinion...
Trust me when I say, we don't do it for the profit margin! :11:

Try calling Aqualung or ScubaPro, or Oceanic, or Mares, or...well, you get the point, and ask them for a quote on a custom sized BC...let me know how it turns out! :wink:

To be quite honest with you, I don't know who Sea Elite is - so I can't comment on how the two compare.

Best of luck with your search!

Scott

PS. If this post comes off as harsh, that is not my intentions. I am simply trying to make a point! :dazzler1:

Since you're in Jacksonville, I assume most of your diving will be in warm water. You should clarify this, because an ideal BC for warm water may not be the best choice for cold water and vice-versa. This is because you need far less lift in a 3 mil than in a 7 mil because you're carrying far less weight.

The ranger might not be the best choice for warm water; maybe a custom BC based on the scout or escape would be better. Your first task is to find out how much lift you'll need, i.e. how much weight you'll typically be diving with, and 2nd would be to determine if you want to carry the weight on a belt or in pouches.

I'm sure Scott can give you excellent advice. Other than predicting NBA success, he really knows his stuff!

jpenrod:

You are a little bigger than me :)

But I would recommend a SS BP/Wing arrangement....because you get 6 lbs off your belt :)

Also...you can manipulate your sizing as you grow and shrink :)

Paul in VT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom