dir-f question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys taking the fundies next week i am really excited. reading the book by JJ certainly an eyeopener for me. question is the swimming test. im particularly worried about this aspect of the testing. i am or never was a stron swimmer but i tested my time for 300 meters and i clocked 10:00 flat. 4 mins clear of the minimumm 14 mins. doing assorted styles but predominantly doggie paddle. not to good with the freestyle.

that was 10mins in a olympic style pool. pefrect conditions. i doubt if the conditions will be like that in open water. il be taking my swim test in puerto gallera, philippines wherein the currents and waves will be working against me. should i be worried?

well, i'm not athletic at all, and i had severe shoulder pain due to a motorcycle
crash (broken shoulder), and i managed it

i came in at around 11:00 or so... so... i would say relax, take your time, and you
will make it.

i am sure they will pick a spot where the currents and waves will be minimized

H2Andy:
well, i'm not athletic at all, and i had severe shoulder pain due to a motorcycle
crash (broken shoulder), and i managed it

i came in at around 11:00 or so... so... i would say relax, take your time, and you
will make it.

i am sure they will pick a spot where the currents and waves will be minimized

thanks bro, very encouraging words. i feel better now:)

Yeah don't sweat it. I hate swimming and don't do it well at all, and I managed 9 minutes and change. Basically flat on my back swimming liesurely along.

Good luck, it's a good course. (Bet you've heard that a few times).

Scuba_Steve:
Yeah don't sweat it. I hate swimming and don't do it well at all, and I managed 9 minutes and change. Basically flat on my back swimming liesurely along.

Good luck, it's a good course. (Bet you've heard that a few times).

i have a hard time doing backstyle as my legs tend to sink. wont be a problem though with my 3mil wetsuit:)

Spoon:
i have a hard time doing backstyle as my legs tend to sink. wont be a problem though with my 3mil wetsuit:)
Really? Well, I think it is the easiest (the front crawl is the hardest swim stroke). laid back...kick the legs...Passed the swim test easily.

JeffG:
Really? Well, I think it is the easiest (the front crawl is the hardest swim stroke). laid back...kick the legs...Passed the swim test easily.

i have the hardest time with free style becasue eveytime i raise my head for air, my gasping is not enough so i have a problem with sufficient air. although my propulsion much further than the doggie paddle i am comfortable doing becasue my head is up whole time. i admit its more tiring though. thing i dont like about the backstoke is that im paranoid cause i dont see where im going and cant swim in a straight line.

Spoon:
guys taking the fundies next week i am really excited. reading the book by JJ certainly an eyeopener for me. question is the swimming test. im particularly worried about this aspect of the testing. i am or never was a stron swimmer but i tested my time for 300 meters and i clocked 10:00 flat. 4 mins clear of the minimumm 14 mins. doing assorted styles but predominantly doggie paddle. not to good with the freestyle.

that was 10mins in a olympic style pool. pefrect conditions. i doubt if the conditions will be like that in open water. il be taking my swim test in puerto gallera, philippines wherein the currents and waves will be working against me. should i be worried?

FYI, 300 is the minimum standard. You may be expected to do more.

yes but wouldn't they also expand the time for more than 300?

The answer is simply to ask the instructor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom