St. John Trip Report (June 2002)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishstout

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We just returned from a trip to St. John and thought that we would post our comments regarding our trip. We used Low Key for our dives.

We were not disappointed with our decision... Low Key was Great! We ended up getting our AOW certs and did a total of 11 dives with Low Key and 2 with Aqua Action (St. Thomas). I can't say enough good things about Low Key. In particular Chris, Billy, Terry, and Missy (Instructors) were all excellent to dive with and very knowledgeable about the dive sites and aquatic life. Tami & Sylvie (store) were also very great to work with in reserving/paying for our dives.

All of our dives were very nice and we really enjoyed them all and we saw quite a bit. The average water temp was 83. We dove with a 3mm shorty and a 1mm full westuit but did find the shorty was fine. I will summarize all sites below:

1. Calf Rock (Max Depth ~40 Ft) - Beautiful reef with a large variety of Coral & fish. Good place to see Nurse Sharks under the ledges resting on the bottom (they breed in June and come in to the reefs to do this). The largest we saw was around 8-9 feet. We also saw a large Green Moray on one of the dives. Little bit of current coming back to the boat.

2. Cow Rock (Max Depth ~39 Ft) - Beautiful reef by Calf with some of the same sea life (Nurse Sharks, Sea Turtle, etc.). There was a nice rock formation that you could swim through and did have some nice canyon type of areas.

3. Congo (Max Depth ~77 Ft) - Nice area for a deep dive. Nice reef coming back up. Sea Life not quite as abundant as other areas.

4. Mingo (Max Depth ~53 Ft) - Nice reef with a couple of coral formations a little bit away from the main reef. We did a night dive here which was excellent!

5. Little St. James (Max Depth ~42 Ft) Very nice reef where we saw a large Spotted Eagle Ray.

6. RMS Rhone (Max Depth ~75 Ft) This was a fun dive and you are able to swim through some portions of the ship and there is quite a bit of growth and sea life to look at. There was a little bit of current in the stern section after you swim through it but other than that it was pretty calm.

7. Carval Rock (Max Depth ~51 Ft) Along with Cow and Calf Rocks, this was one of our favorite dives. Very nice reef with quite a bit of coral and sea life. There was a little bit of current here.

8. Major General Rodgers (Max Depth ~62 Ft) This was a ship sunk in the early 80's off of St. Thomas to create an artificial reef. There are some nive fish to see and there is quite a bit of growth. You can penetrate a couple areas but most of the dive is outside the ship. there can be quite a bit of current depending on when you dive here but we did not experience any.

9. Two Brothers (Max Depth ~28 Ft) This was another beautiful reef where we saw a small Nurse Shark and a Porcupine Fish but the current was very strong at the end of the dive. Other than the current this would be one of our favorite dives.

Hope this gives you some information for you to consider when you make your dives. If you need any other details, just send me a note.

Hi-
Glad y'all had a good time in St. John- it's one of my favorite places! Next time you go there (if you do), see if your dive op will take you to Waterlemon Cay, a small cay about 100yds. off of Waterlemon Beach with lots of sponges, critters and good corals, and the "star" attraction....hundreds of cushion stars dotting the sand bottom between the cay and beach! (Sorry for the weak pun!) It's a way cool dive (and shallow enough to be a great snorkle, too) and a great photo op. Also, although it'sa bit of a drive or boat ride, over off the far east end of the island you'll see lots of sea turtles.
FastDen :rainbow:

Dont miss the Indians by Norman, you must have passed them to get to the Rhone, this is one of my favorite dives in the area. It is shallow, 55 ft max so its a nice long dive. The corals here are amazing! They are every where, much more then other areas. Some great photo shots too, many queen angels and other great fish. I saw a black tip reef shark and a spotted eagle ray on the same dive, amazing.

There are some other good dives in the area as well like angelfish reef you should look into.

Glad you had a great trip. My wife and I dove with Low Key last year and got our wreck certification. They were great! Nice trip report :)

:wave:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom