Is there anywhere left in the Caribbean with healthy reefs in 2024?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are currently in Little Cayman after a week in Cayman Brac. Between last summer’s excessive water temperatures for an extended period of time, plus the effects of a bad storm in February 2024 that covered a lot of coral with sand, the reefs have very little life compared to prior trips.

We just moved from CA to FL and were hoping to spend more time diving in the Caribbean with easier access, but what we are seeing here is very concerning. Wondering if any Caribbean destinations still have abundant life after Summer of 2023?
This question, I think, will be coming up more and more often in the next few years. The Cayman Islands were considered some of the best diving in the world. The walls, coral formations, color, abundance of life, and the Cayman vibe made it a diver’s bucket list destination.

The problem is a matter of perception. If someone’s baseline is pre-2000’s or even early 2000’s, then they are probably depressed (as I am). If someone is a relatively new diver, then they still see the formations (skeletons) of the once thriving ecosystem and still find wonder and beauty in it.

I know that when I go to the museum of natural history and see the wooly mammoth skeleton on display, that I find it impressive, magnificent and exciting. But, would I like to see an actual live wooly mammoth? Yes! Far more than I would like to see the skeleton

Between SCTLD, Lionfish, Overuse, Bleaching, Pollution, High nutrient/phosphates, Excessive algae, and loss of mangrove nurseries due to over development, the coral doesn’t have a chance.

This is true in most of the Caribbean.

There are still pockets of thriving reef in the Caribbean. Is the cup half empty or half full?

I know of many places outside of the Caribbean that are still thriving.

I've done each of the Explorer Ventures liveaboards ( Turks and caicos and Saba/ St Kitts) this year and they're both still excellent.
There are small signs of bleaching here and there but still great trips
At the airport now going back to TCEX

Gardens of the queen. Problem is that’s cuba

We dive Cozumel fairly often and we find it interesting and fun. We love macro, so maybe we're not as disappointed by what others are disappointed by? I'm not blind to the bleaching, but my nose is usually in the sand. We just got back from the Philippines (Puerto Galera) and loved it, and we're looking forward to going back to Cozumel too. Maybe it's a 'love the one you're with' kind of thing? Cozumel is close, and it's nice not to have one leg be 13 to 15 hours. :)

I also wonder if Cozumel is a little bit better than other areas in the Caribbean because of the strong current, bringing nutrients and oxygen to the reef? We were in Roatan in October of 22 and not impressed. Grand Cayman in 2021? Not impressed. Bahamas are worse (IMO) with so much bleaching.

I live on Aruba and most of the corals here are still alive, some dive sites have suffered and some have remained in somewhat good condition. It's hard to give a clear picture on how much have died, but from what I have noticed from 3 years of diving is that alot has changed in the last 1 to 1 and half years. Sad to see but depends on as well as coral species. As SCLTD has also wreaked havoc here on brain corals and star corals. So many brain corals have died it was depressing, but it's still great to see amongst all the dead corals some colonies are still in perfect condition, most likely as they have a less stressful environment and the water temp is almost always 29 degrees C or lower. Can't say much about pillar corals, but a lot of lovely Gorgonians and some really big ones. One comment said that Aruba has mediocre diving, I would not say that is completely true, there are some very great and amazing (Hidden) dive sites that a lot of tourists do not get the chance to experience, I would say It's either due to weather and just usual tourist dive sites. What I can say about mediocre diving here is that there is a lot of inexperienced open water divers and lots of people in the process of receiving their open water cert. I think the blue and clear, calm water (mostly south side of the island) is what attracts a lot of tourist to start scuba diving. I mostly do north shore diving when weather permits, where I hunt lionfish, but more importantly is the landscape. North shore, a very flat and can be deep (mostly 15 to 25 meter can reach 30 to 40 meters) dives with a lot of mountainous corals which is different experience than the south side that has more of a wall diving. This is a bit of my 2 cents on diving so far here. Sad that I heard a lot of the corals on Bonaire are mostly dead, although I can not confirm this myself and do not want to spread misinformation, I heard this from the person who fills my tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom