Is there anywhere left in the Caribbean with healthy reefs in 2024?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I knew I could find shops via a web search but a personal recommendation means a lot from someone who has actually used them.

You misunderstood my comment. I know why you were asking for recommendations. My point was that I was not going to include web links to my recommendations because you can find them online easy enough.

Hi @Millemar

I have a few over 1300 dives in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and Palm Beach since 2009. I use 5 of the same operators listed by @Divin'Papaw Starfish and Loggerhead (Loggerhead is one of two boats with Splashdown) in Boynton Beach, Narcosis and Walker's in Palm Beach/Riviera Beach, and Jupiter Dive Center in Jupiter.

Neither Starfish nor Loggerhead put a guide in the water. Narcosis, Walker's, and Jupiter Dive Center put a guide in the water. You can stay with and surface with the guides or surface on your own DSMB.

All my family's regulators are Scubapro, I have them serviced at Jupiter Dive Center.

Best of luck with your diving in Florida. I think you will find the diving to be competitive with or better than many Caribbean sites. The three locations mentioned are somewhat different and quite complimentary, try them all.

Hi @Millemar

I have a few over 1300 dives in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and Palm Beach since 2009. I use 5 of the same operators listed by @Divin'Papaw Starfish and Loggerhead (Loggerhead is one of two boats with Splashdown) in Boynton Beach, Narcosis and Walker's in Palm Beach/Riviera Beach, and Jupiter Dive Center in Jupiter.

Neither Starfish nor Loggerhead put a guide in the water. Narcosis, Walker's, and Jupiter Dive Center put a guide in the water. You can stay with and surface with the guides or surface on your own DSMB.

All my family's regulators are Scubapro, I have them serviced at Jupiter Dive Center.

Best of luck with your diving in Florida. I think you will find the diving to be competitive with or better than many Caribbean sites. The three locations mentioned are somewhat different and quite complimentary, try them all.
Sounds great, thank you! And good to know which ones put a guide in the water. Since we aren’t familiar with any of the sites, we definitely prefer a guide with us.

Sounds great, thank you! And good to know which ones put a guide in the water. Since we aren’t familiar with any of the sites, we definitely prefer a guide with us.

Something else you may find helpful. We have a Jupiter and a Palm Beach thread in the Florida forum. Many of us post regular condition updates plus photos and videos. Also, the world-famous Blue Heron Bridge shore dive is right in Riviera Beach at Phil Foster Park and it has its own dedicated thread. Lastly, many folks frequently post their own dive threads in the Florida forum including many great threads by @scubadada. These threads are all a great way to learn more about the Palm Beach County dive sites.

Something else you may find helpful. We have a Jupiter and a Palm Beach thread in the Florida forum. Many of us post regular condition updates plus photos and videos. Also, the world-famous Blue Heron Bridge shore dive is right in Riviera Beach at Phil Foster Park and it has its own dedicated thread. Lastly, many folks frequently post their own dive threads in the Florida forum including many great threads by @scubadada. These threads are all a great way to learn more about the Palm Beach County dive sites.

Wow! Thank you!! I did the Blue Heron Bridge years ago and LOVED it. Really appreciate these links.

While we're discussing SW Fla, can anyone comment on possibilities at Pompano Beach? I was there in January and was a bit underwhelmed. The weather was marginal, so that may have had something to do with my attitude, and I would be willing to give it a second attempt. Any suggestions?

I just did a two tanker in Curacao a few days ago with The Dive Bus, and found the coral and fish to be very good. Certainly not as vibrant as in 2010, but still well worth the visit, and I left a happy and satisfied diver.

You'll be fine without a guide with these boats. They are mostly drift dives along the reef. They'll put you right on the reef and tell you which side is better for the conditions. The sand bottom next to the reef is 65' max and the top is around 40' so you can do your own multilevel as you see fit. One of each buddy pair has a flag and the boat picks you up wherever you surface.

My memory is a little hazy here, but I think there's only one or two wrecks that they dive and you follow a line down and up so again navigation isn't an issue.

Only things to watch our for is that you don't follow any hunters as they have their own agenda that doesn't involve sightseeing.

If @scubadada adds any corrections here, go with what he says.

We are currently in Little Cayman after a week in Cayman Brac. Between last summer’s excessive water temperatures for an extended period of time, plus the effects of a bad storm in February 2024 that covered a lot of coral with sand, the reefs have very little life compared to prior trips.

We just moved from CA to FL and were hoping to spend more time diving in the Caribbean with easier access, but what we are seeing here is very concerning. Wondering if any Caribbean destinations still have abundant life after Summer of 2023?
I have it on solid authority that Bonaire has the best diving....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom