Yolk Connection on Argon Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cfenton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am getting ready to do my Tech 1 course at the end of October/05. Obviously there has been a significant cost in making the transition from my single tank rec. gear to the double tank tech gear. I have a left over Mares 1st stage with a yolk connection. I have recently had it services and have used it on my argon bottle. My question is how important is it to have a DIN connection on this bottle in this range?

Thanks

I'd first suggest you fire off an email to your potential instructor and ask him directly.

But when you do, be sure you type "yoke" and not "yolk" :wink:

On the one hand, it isn't critical.

On the other, if you're using a 6 cu ft Luxfer mounted inverted to the left side of your plate, (and a Halcyon wing) you'll find that the round plastic overpressure valve on the base of your wing will impact the back of your argon tank valve. This can make it a PITA to reach the dump cord (particularly if there is gas in the wing - see BAUE website: 'Pete's sudden ride'). I suspect the issue might be exacerbated if you had a yoke regulator knob sticking back behind your tank valve.

So, while it might not be huge, having the yoke knob rubbing against your wing overpressure valve housing and constricting things back there is not optimal and under the right circumstances could be real annoying.

You might find that its relatively inexpensive to convert that reg from yoke to DIN.

Then again, maybe not.

FWIW. YMMV.

Sorry :wink:

In all seriousness, when it comes down to details for tech classes, internet discussion can be very helpful, but the bottom line is "ask the instructor." That's the best way to get a simple definitive answer.

cfenton:
I am getting ready to do my Tech 1 course at the end of October/05. Obviously there has been a significant cost in making the transition from my single tank rec. gear to the double tank tech gear. I have a left over Mares 1st stage with a yolk connection. I have recently had it services and have used it on my argon bottle. My question is how important is it to have a DIN connection on this bottle in this range?

Thanks

I did my Tech 1 with a AL14 plate mounted using a yoke connection... YMMV

...of course I was the only one that went the whole week without have to get an Argon refill :D

boomx5:
I did my Tech1 with a Mares 1st stage and a yoke valve on my argon bottle. It's not the most optimal setup, but my instructor never said anything.
Thats because you were spending to much time learning tic tac toe deco and trying to look slick. But I bet its better/safer than having a toy scooter.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom