Bungy-ing an OMS wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJo

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello! I hope I'm in the right forum to ask this question! I have a 32lb single cylinder OMS wing (unbungeed) and was wondering what people thought about punching your own holes into the wing and bungee-ing it up. I'm a really tiny person (5'2") and am finding that the wing flaps around in current, air tends to shift around in the bladder when I'm at depth, at times, throwing me off kilter a bit, and the gurgling distracts me sometimes :wink:. I've studied OMS's bungee-d wings and how it is set up with the grommets and peripheral straps with grommets. I know my wing wasn't designed for bungees, but I'm curious... I'm really quite new to the world of BPW. Does anyone have experience in this? Pros and Cons? Do or Don't? Tips? Ne touche pas? :06: Thank you kindly!

Here's a picture of my setup (there's an alum 50 on it, that's why you can't see the tank... :D)

Jo,

In a word, Don't.

Bad idea.

If you must use bungees, which I disagree with, then get a wing designed with them. Don't take your current wing and try some wingnut engineering to constrict it with bungees. Chances are likely you'll exacerbate the problems they cause to begin with.

FWIW.

ScubaJo:
Hello! I hope I'm in the right forum to ask this question!
Naw...You should be asking in the DIR forum

Mmm. How about not. Bungees are (this is debatable) not really good in the first place, and punching holes in things that are 1) designed not to have holes, 2) designed to hold air, and 3) are kind of important for diving, is not a good idea.

If you really want a fix, Halcyon used to make a wing called a 'bat wing'. It's a slim 18# wing, and you can find a used one for sale every now and then. Also they currently Make a 27# shell-less wing that's quite compact, and Oxycheq makes an 18# wing as well.

www.halcyon.net
www.oxycheq.com

The 27 lb Halcyon Pioneer and 18lb Oxycheq wings will have a lower profile if you don't need all that lift.

Wow... It is very colorful rig. My GF might like it....:)

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it! The guys that I dive with were sort of on the fence with the idea, so I wanted to find out a bit more. I'm sure this is written somewhere else in the forum, but on the wings in the market, what are the advantages and disadvantages of "bungee" or "not to bungee"?

Hoosier, everyone around here has the OMS black wings... so I just HAD to be different :wink: Besides. I'm a gurl... (although, I look like a freakin ladybug in the water)

JeffG... a fellow Edmontonian. My friend, where the heck does one dive out there? I've never dragged my gear home when I visit.

ScubaJo:
JeffG... a fellow Edmontonian. My friend, where the heck does one dive out there? I've never dragged my gear home when I visit.
Its not a hot bed of diving, but there are some places.

Twin Lakes...
A few good lakes in Jasper (including a wreck)
Lake Minniwan ka (Underwater town)
Waterton (Paddle wheeler wreck ...I haven't done that one)
Cold Lake (I haven't done that one either)

And when I'm feeling frisky...I drive out to the coast, and I will probably head out to Ottawa and pester some people out there the September.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom