I'm too fat!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well,

I can't seem to find a BC To fit me, I have a 60 inch waist.. yes i know DROP A few pounds.. im working on it.. gone from 66 to 60 in 4 months.. and still sluggin away at it!

Now, Iam going for my SSI OW next month and the local dive shop said not to worry that they can use a XL BC with a "Cumber bun Extenion" ? Anyone heard of this? if not.. there must be more people out here my size.. what do you all use?

Thanks
Michael

It's actually a cummerbund (the waist strap/belt part of many BCDs) extension, which means they would make the belt longer to fit your waist. I've never seen one used, but have heard of them.

Here's the backplate pitch....Backplate and wing is a very customizable system; do some research on the board.

gfisher4792:
It's actually a cummerbund (the waist strap/belt part of many BCDs) extension, which means they would make the belt longer to fit your waist. I've never seen one used, but have heard of them.

Here's the backplate pitch....Backplate and wing is a very customizable system; do some research on the board.

Yea when i was in the shop, They fitted me for the Backplate setup and it was cheaper than the BC.. how ever they advised me that for the Open water cert i need to use a BCD? that i could not use the steel backplates, As the would prefer to see me use it as he said that they could add more plates increasing my weights there instead of on the belt?

Thanks
Michael

I like the backplate wings idea. I have a set, and I also have a BC Jacket.

I am a very big boy, too.

You could take the rig to a good canvas boat cover/awning shop and have them stitch in 1.5' lengths of 2" heavy duty nylon webbing onto the ends of the cummerbund stretchy/velcro end.

Add metal weight belt buckle and you're good to go. Not pretty, but operational.

The BC is designed to place flotation at points to support you in a pre-designed area. Your size might exceed the design parameters and you could wind up with the flotation pockets under your armpits. Bad bongos.

Go wing (and backplate if needed, no DIR arguments, please) . Look at OMS, Dive Rite, Halcyon and whatever else.

Get trained in it's use. They just didn't want that challenge during your open water cert.

That's kinda weird...I know that it's unusual for OW students to use BP/W, but not unheard of. The backplate wouldn't eliminate the use of a weight belt (I use one myself), so adjusting for correct weighting shouldn't be an issue. Whatever they do for your class, just make sure you're comfortable with the setup they give you. If it doesn't fit correctly (restricting breathing, etc.) bring it up ASAP.

Zeagle can fit you I bet. If you know you are going to be diving, might as well invest in a good BC. I'm a bigger guy as well (6'2"-310) and the XXL Zeagle fit me well. I saw a post on here where someone said they had seen an XXXXXXXL Zeagle before.

Michael_Lambert:
Now, Iam going for my SSI OW next month and the local dive shop said not to worry that they can use a XL BC with a "Cumber bun Extenion" ? Anyone heard of this? if not.. there must be more people out here my size.. what do you all use?

I know a guy who had the same issue in the past month. The LDS was able to order him a XXL Genesis Cobra BCD....

Canadian_Diver:
I know a guy who had the same issue in the past month. The LDS was able to order him a XXL Genesis Cobra BCD....

Yea My LDS is able to order a XXL Zegal he recommended with the intergrated weigth system so i would not have issues with the Weight belts.. The only thing is that the Zegal is just over a grand i dont have :( i mean im doing the course next month, picking up my Personal items ( Mask/snrokel and fins ) they are costing me a couple hundred.. :( Geting married next sept.. So im not supose to be spending money.. atleast the thats what the wife says :)

So, I guess what i need to do is find a Local Shop who has somthing like that in stock or will bring it into stock that i can rent, I mean i will dive maybe 3-4 weekends over teh next couple of years.. with the wedding next year ( BUSY BUSY ) and not much time left in this year.. i dont want to go out and spend that money on the BCD when i really am hoping to drop a bunch of weight.

Back
Top Bottom