Housing or Bomb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chugmeister

Contributor
Reaction score
I am getting ready to head to Cozumel and this will be the first time traveling with a housing and UW Photo equipment. In the shower this morning the though hit me, What would a screener think of my Ikelite housing with all those nobs etc. I could see them wanting to examine it and personally don't think I would trust them to pack it back gently etc. It would completely ruin my trip if the housing got damaged or lost.

So how do you all transport your housings? I am nervous of something happening to it in the checked luggage. Is it better to put it in my carry on where I can handle it and explain what it is?

I went to B&H and bought a "camera backpack" a F/2, I think. Can take housing, 1 port, 2 lenses and 2 strobes,etc basic minimum to have something if Pelican is lost or delayed. Now the Pelican gets all extra lenses, ports, strobe arms, regs, computers.... Guaranteed both will always be looked at by TSA.

I always carry mine on. It is an aluminium housing (Top Dawg) and always draws the attention of screeners. I make sure I give myself plenty of time to get through the screening. Every time it gets unpacked, opened up, swabbed, etc. Funny thing is that it tested positive for "explosive residue" the first few times, possibly due to the PCB's inside my housing.

Since it is in my carry on, I just wrap it with bubble wrap that can easily be undone for inspection. Sometimes I leave the camcorder inside before screening so they can see what it is designed for. Some danger in doing that though.

I also wrapped my housing in bubble wrap and took it in my carry-on the one time i've travelled with it. It's an ikelite and they didn't even take a look at it.

I have a pelican case that i can fit all my camera equipment in it..it's a carry on case with handle and wheels. it goes through the xray machine and they've never opened it to see inside.

I carry my Oly housing all the time, so far they have not given it a second look. Same for my regs and computer. I have a foam lined case for my camera gear including several sets of batteries and the strobe. If it is opened the clear case if pretty obvious that it is empty and the camera beside it helps prove what it is. The screeners in Coz see dozens of cameras each day so they are use to them. So far the the biggest reaction to my regs was a look from the xray tech and a quick "scuba gear?" question. A yes from me was all that he needed. You should not have any problems.

I always carry mine on now. I put it in checked luggage once and it got a thorough searching followed up by a very poor repacking. I was sure that my filter would be damaged. Luckily it wasn't but never again will I put my camera gear in checked baggage. My strobe- housing and camera take up my entire 21in carry on. I also don't let the cabbies or porters handle my carry on with my gear in it.

Have a great trip to Cozumel.

Just got back from Cancun last week. The screeners x-rayed my carry on and noticed the camera/housing. They asked me to turn the camera on inside the housing and that was it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom