Do these cameras really work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
You know those cameras they sell at the dive store?
I found this one that is waterproof to 95 feet.
I am going to maui next week and would like to take some pics.
It even has flash.

Does this kind of camera really work?
this camera

Please let me know,

Thanks

Yes ...... but don't expect really great pictures at any depth. They are good shallow water cameras .... I own an expensive Sea & Sea and my wife purchased several cheap UW cameras from Wal Mart to use. In clear shallow water they worked as good as my expensive camera taking fairly decent shots. Going deeper we noticed that the flash was not as strong as we would have liked. Taking pictures of stuff between 3 and 4 feet away was great but due to the lack of availiable light the pictures taken at greater depth turned out mostly blue.

Yah, the throw-aways work, to some extent. I've seen some great results, even to the point of being publishable. Having ideal conditions is pretty much a requirement though. Backscatter form having the flash so close to the lens is a big problem, its usually better to go with available light & get used to the blue color than it is looking at the snowstorm.
As already mentioned, shallow with gin clear water produces more consistent good results, where the flash can be used to "take away the blues".

Hi all

Hi there,

You might like to consider buying a waterproof case for a digital camera instead (alot cheaper) and you can use it as a normal camera aswell.

If the pictures still come out dark then just add red to them using Adobe Photoshop. As you know water absorbs RED first!

Annette

You may want to consider this instead
http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/sportdiver.html
it's a cheap camera, and you can put your own film in it.

My wife used one for a long time, until we went digital recently. But for the $99 we spent on this camera, she did get quite a few good photos.

Just remember that you don't want to use film with a higher ASA than 200, and you definitely want to use 36 exposure rolls.

You also want to be VERY CLOSE to whatever you shoot, otherwise you won't get good colors at all.

If you look at my photo gallery, the last few photos, from the school of grunts to the end were shot with this camera... The newer photos are digital.

I have the same camera and did five dives in the range if 40 to 90 feet range. I came back to Missouri for a month. I tried to take the camera on a lake dive yesterday and the camera flooded. I mean for $23. I got my money worth but now I am letting dry out and putting silcone on the gasket to see if it will work or trash.

Floridawannabe:
I have the same camera and did five dives in the range if 40 to 90 feet range. I came back to Missouri for a month. I tried to take the camera on a lake dive yesterday and the camera flooded. I mean for $23. I got my money worth but now I am letting dry out and putting silcone on the gasket to see if it will work or trash.

Had you never greased your o-rings before you learned the hard way?

howarde:
Had you never greased your o-rings before you learned the hard way?
First camera, Always rinsed after words. Never stated that you had to grease everytime you open it. Just stated that to make sure you do not pinch the o-ring and to grease when needed.

Floridawannabe:
First camera, Always rinsed after words. Never stated that you had to grease everytime you open it. Just stated that to make sure you do not pinch the o-ring and to grease when needed.

Even a few grains of sand in the wrong place can make a housing flood. I also learned my lesson the hard way... with a video camera.

I grease (the o-rings that is) and/or inspect carefully before each trip.

Back
Top Bottom