BC with quick release weight system question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HAWK-EYE

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to diving and have purchased and am using a BC with a quick release weight system.

Some back ground. I am carrying 13 lbs on each side in the system pouches and 10 lbs of non-release weights in the slots on the back of the BC. On Friday we did two dives and my partner helped me put the BC, weights, and tank on and off. Because of the total weight involved it was somewhat awkward. On the way home we discussed the ‘correct’ procedure when using integrated quick release weights. Do I suit up with the weights out of the BC, put the BC and tank on, and then insert the weight pouches into the BC?

Thanks in advance for your comments and help.

Depends on how easy it is to put the weights in. On my BC it's far easier to put them in before I put it on, and virtually impossible for me to put them in by myself while wearing it.

That's 36 lbs total, a lot of wt. My integrated wt system isn't even rated to hold that much. Do you need that much? I mean, dry suit, real thick wet suit, etc? If you're over weighted it could be by a lot.

With that much lead you might consider putting some of it on a weight belt just to make things more easily handled.

I to have a weight intigrated BC, Scubapro Nighthawk to be exact. I load my trim pockets with 4 pounds per side then attach my tank. Then the ditchable pockets get loaded with 8 pounds per side if I am wearing my 7MM Full wetsuite. Thats 24 pounds total. I am 6 foot 1 Inch and top the scales at about 220 pounds. This seems to be the perfect weight load for me.

If I am in my 3 MM Shorty trim pockets get 3 pounds each and ditchable 4 pounds per side.

NOTE both weight configerations are for fresh water.

Hope this answered your question and/or helped

DSDO,

Tim
www.xanga.com/scubatim if you want to check out some pics and dive reports of my diving.

www.stuckonscuba.com = is a new scubaboard I found that I enjoy check it out if you get a chance and tell the moderators that scubatim sent you.

HAWK-EYE:
I am new to diving and have purchased and am using a BC with a quick release weight system.

Some back ground. I am carrying 13 lbs on each side in the system pouches and 10 lbs of non-release weights in the slots on the back of the BC. On Friday we did two dives and my partner helped me put the BC, weights, and tank on and off. Because of the total weight involved it was somewhat awkward. On the way home we discussed the ‘correct’ procedure when using integrated quick release weights. Do I suit up with the weights out of the BC, put the BC and tank on, and then insert the weight pouches into the BC?

Thanks in advance for your comments and help.
HAWK-EYE, welcome to SB. Seems like a lot of weight, but w/out other info....FWIW, I find it easiest to install wts just before donning the gear. I put BC, tank, reg. all together. Lay it down and install wts. (this depends on your pockets) I have the Tusa Selene- great AWLS. I have 5lb. each side and a 2lb in a non-ditch pouch. (Still too much for me I'm sure. I'm workin' on that.) When you're ready, stand it up to slip into it. I find it too difficult to slip wts in while wearing BC. Also, on a side note. My gear bag is too heavy for me with wts in BC. I carry a seperate small bag with my pair of inserts (5lb. ea.) and my 2lb soft wt. and 3lb dive light. Working on peak buoyancy performance- changing variables.......'nuther story :14:

Well without knowing how you look pardon this pun.... ditch the weights and dind an old VW bug in the junkyard and tie that to your waist. :yippie17: This could have a great amount of benifit... as you grow in experience and need less weight the VW will rust faster and lose more weight. :33:

To really be serious, it is a matter of comfort... try different ways of donning, but you need to insure you do a proper bouyancy check. Let all the air out of your BC with a full breath held... if you sink like a stone, you are way too heavy(gear weight that is)... if you sink slowly you are about right to figure in for an empty tank. Good Luck.

I put mine in after hooking up tank & regulator , too much hassel to put them in after wearing. (I do sit it on top of my dive box to put BC on, much easier)
36lbs ... isnt that a lot??
5'7"/180 lbs SP Knighthawk .... I've got 12 & 13lbs softweights in my ditchable pockets (none in trim pockets ,too high on back for proper trim) new 7mm fullsuit/5mm boots/5-3mm hood , saltwater

DB

Hawk-eye

What kind of BC do you have? There are various designs that lend themselves to be loaded after donning the BC. Some manufacturers, like Zeagle, offer "yellow thingies" which is a pouch designed to go inside the ditchable pocket of the BC and allow you to load weights into it. that way you aren't fumbling with small bean bags or chunks of lead. It also makes it easier to hand your weights up when getting onto a boat.

hawk eye i have a cressi s111 . ilove it i do find it easier loading the weights then suieting up .its so much easier have fun diving

I actually load up the BC then sit down on the floor and put it on (usually myself) so my buddy doesnt have to pick it up. I have not lifted or have had a buddy lift my BC to put it on for quite some time. I then kneel and stand up with it.

With my Knighthawk I do tank, trim, load the pockets, but then don't put the pockets in until I have it on. Since the pockets are easy to get in, due to their position, it just makes putting the BC on more trouble if I put the pockets in first.

Back
Top Bottom