Buying a BC for the first time, stuck between the Zeagle Brigade and Seaquest Black

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd buy the Zeagle for 4 reasons: 1) You're getting the Brigade from ScubaToys, and you can't beat their customer service. 2) You're getting a Zeagle, and you can't beat their customer service (right Scott??). 3) Zeagles are fully modular, which means you can switch out components to suit your diving and body type. 4) I already own a Zeagle and LOVE it!!

Don't know anything about the Black Diamond, but I do know that SeaQuest makes a good product. My DH loves his ProQD+.

Seaquest makes great BCs. I never tried the Black Diamond, but I have Seaquest Balance and assume they are very similar except the bladder size and # of D rings.
Balance had been great. It has the most comfortable pads that I could wear the BC on direct skin, no problem. I just cannot say anything bad about Balance except the small issue with the sure lock weight system.
However, recently my buddy was talking about Zeagle how good they are. I was curious and wanted to try, so I purchased Zeagle Brigade because Larry over at ScubaToys gave me a great deal on Brigade. Although I love Balance, now it is being sold on ebay. I thought I would never sell my Balance. Brigade is just superior. Here is why.

1. Brigade is lighter and I could take off 2lb of weight
2. Brigade is modular. If I need a bigger bladder, I can upgrade. Balance cannot.
3. I believe Sequest has some great warranty, but Zeagle has even better life time warranty I heard
4. I like the rip cord weight system better. I do not think I will drop my weights accidentally with the Zeagle system, but the weights on the Balance (the sure lock system) slipped out a couple of time. I guess this would be the only complaint I have for Balance
5. Brigade is based on Zeagle Ranger BC. The harness is rock solid. Although Balance has some nice D rings, Brigade has more of the tech D rings.
6. I believe Black Diamond and Balance are a lot pricier than Brigade.
7. Balance seems more comfortable on land. In water, it does not matter. Brigade is as comfortable as Balance

Balance has thicker bladder material and dual air dump on shoulder is nice. They are both excellent BCs, but I have chosen Brigade for the modular system.

My .02 cents, I have a Balance and like it. If your going to go with Sea Quest IMHO I would take the Balance over the Black Diamond, less $, less bulk, lighter. Dont have any experience with Brigade.

Dove both when I first starting looking and bought the Brigade for the above mentioned reasons. Even if Scott wasn't on the board you would get the service, take my word for it. With him being here it just makes it easier.

BTW, Zeagle is going to a double shoulder dump on some bladders and I think the #35 is one of them.

crpntr133:
BTW, Zeagle is going to a double shoulder dump on some bladders and I think the #35 is one of them.

We are not going to a double shoulder dump right now...maybe in the future.

We have gone to double dumps on the bottom of the bladder....

Since you are looking at the Brigade, I assume you are buying through Scuba Toys. I'm sure that Larry will give you an honest evaluation on both models, as he is getting your $$$ either way!! :wink:

Scott

Just an observation... I own a Zeagle Stiletto, slightly smaller than a Brigade, and I have never worn a Black Diamond.

However.... I just returned from a dive trip. Six of the days (12 dives) were with 2 couples from Cincy. One of the guy's had a SeaQuest bcd. It was big. Underwater, and from above him, It looked huge. The bladder (albeit flat with little air inside) seemed to really flare out to the sides. After a few dives I asked him... It's a Black Diamond. He said he really liked it and I guess if you're looking for big, as in very big, it might be the one for you. Especially if you want really big pockets and even bigger weight pouches. Yet if you like the idea of big I'd suggest you look at a Zeagle Ranger.

You can't go wrong with the Brigade and if you want one silghtly smaller look at the Stiletto. I bought the Stiletto at Scubatoys and you sure can't go wrong with them.

Don

I'm also looking at the Zeagle Brigade. I have never used a weight integrated BC. Do you need the rear weight pockets? Do these dump? Sounds like they are for trim. Which probably means you need them.

paulwalker77477:
I'm also looking at the Zeagle Brigade. I have never used a weight integrated BC. Do you need the rear weight pockets? Do these dump? Sounds like they are for trim. Which probably means you need them.

You should be fine with a weight integrated system there isn't that much difference in the way they dive. For those of us without much hips it makes a big difference.

Do you need the rear weight pockets?..they aren't a must but they do help with trim. They are/aren't dumpable. They aren't part of the rip cord system but if your buddy needed to dump them they could pull the velcro closure at the bottom and dump. Something that you are probably not going to be able to do yourself.

Check with Larry before you get one since they weren't suppose to have the trim weight pouches and mine came with them. If I am thinking right he started ordering them with the pouches.

One thing that I do recommend ordering is the yellow weight pouches. You put your weight in them and then into the weight pocket on the BC. This is great if you are doing a boat dive and they want you to hand your weight up. I think they are $20 a pair.

I'd call and talk to Larry at ScubaToys and get his advice. He has a lot of info to share. I was unsure which BC to get but after walking in the store and having Larry lay the various BC's on the floor and show me how they were made, their functions, etc. It was easy to choose Zeagle. I have a Brigade and really dig it.

My only minor complaint is a right should dump. Other than that, I think its the perfect BC for me.

Back
Top Bottom