Some specific BCD questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm considering getting a hammerhead SS backplate with an STA, basic harness and either the DR rec wing, or a singles wing. I have not used doubles, but I may in the future.

The hammerhead SS backplate weighs about 4.75 kg with the 1 piece STA and about 3.5 kg with the 2 piece STA.

Last time I went diving in the Philippines I used 5.5 kg on the belt with a 3mm wetsuit and a 12 liter aluminum tank.

1) Should I get the 1 piece STA as that's still below the 5.5 kg I used last time, or is there a good reason to choose the lighter STA? (I assuming from posts I've read here that easily ditchable weight may not be essential?)

2) Is the DR rec wing compatible with the hammerhead? (I know it's not the best wing, but it's cheap and can be used with both singles and doubles until I can afford to upgrade)

3) What would be a good (compatible) singles wing to go with the hammerhead if I decide to go that route? (and then save up for the doubles wing later)

4) Other than 1 or 2 (?) cam straps, do I need anything else to make this setup complete?

Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated. I'm still very new to backplates and wings so there may be things I'm not aware of or haven't thought about.

1) remember you have to pack this stuff and travel with it, lighter may be better

2)it should be, i have a rec wing on a fredt plate, no problems..

3)one of tobins (deep sea supply) or an oxycheq signature wing.

4)webbing

mossym:
1) remember you have to pack this stuff and travel with it, lighter may be better

2)it should be, i have a rec wing on a fredt plate, no problems..

3)one of tobins (deep sea supply) or an oxycheq signature wing.

4)webbing

Thanks for the reply. After thinking about this for awhile I've decided to go for the DSS single rig with hogarthian harness instead. Hopefully I can rent a compatible doubles wing at some of the dive resorts I'll visit, and then later on buy one.

Intially I was going to get the hammerhead and buy some of parts for it elsewhere because I thought the STA would be worth it for extra weight and maybe some other benefits, but I'm not so sure anymore. It would also only save about $50-100 depending on what wing I got as compared to the DSS rig, and with the latter I know everything will be compatible, plus people here speak very highly of them so it seems like the best thing as a long term solution - I don't want to have to replace or upgrade my BCD anytime soon.

*Floater*:
Thanks for the reply. After thinking about this for awhile I've decided to go for the DSS single rig with hogarthian harness instead. Hopefully I can rent a compatible doubles wing at some of the dive resorts I'll visit, and then later on buy one.

Intially I was going to get the hammerhead and buy some of parts for it elsewhere because I thought the STA would be worth it for extra weight and maybe some other benefits, but I'm not so sure anymore. It would also only save about $50-100 depending on what wing I got as compared to the DSS rig, and with the latter I know everything will be compatible, plus people here speak very highly of them so it seems like the best thing as a long term solution - I don't want to have to replace or upgrade my BCD anytime soon.

Floater,

I'll set one aside with your name on it :D

Remember when calculating your weighting: Most Jacket BC's are positive even with the bladder is empty. The foam padding, and gas trapping nooks and crannies can result in an "empty" bc with 3-5 lbs of buoyancy. A BP&W is all negative.

Regards,

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Floater,

I'll set one aside with your name on it :D

Remember when calculating your weighting: Most Jacket BC's are positive even with the bladder is empty. The foam padding, and gas trapping nooks and crannies can result in an "empty" bc with 3-5 lbs of buoyancy. A BP&W is all negative.

Regards,

Tobin

Tobin,

I noticed a set of q-tach comes with the double rig: Is it something I should also get if I plan to rent a doubles wing and attach it to your backplate?

Ive not run into any dive ops that have wings to rent. Most look surprised when I pull a bp and wing out of my bag.
rich

*Floater*:
Tobin,

I noticed a set of q-tach comes with the double rig: Is it something I should also get if I plan to rent a doubles wing and attach it to your backplate?

Floater,

The q-tach is a type of thumbwheel. If you are renting Wings, and I'd guess tanks, I'd just use the the wing nuts they have. There are different thread sizes on banded doubles. When you get you own doubles we can fix you up.

Tobin

RICHinNC:
Ive not run into any dive ops that have wings to rent. Most look surprised when I pull a bp and wing out of my bag.
rich

I've done most of my diving in the Philippines and I'm going back there this Christmas. I haven't seen any doubles there either, but I know some of the better equiped places have them. For example, techasia in Puerto Galera lists $2.5 for BCD (harness & wing) rental price.

cool_hardware52:
Floater,

The q-tach is a type of thumbwheel. If you are renting Wings, and I'd guess tanks, I'd just use the the wing nuts they have. There are different thread sizes on banded doubles. When you get you own doubles we can fix you up.

Tobin

Okay, thanks.

*Floater*:
I'm considering getting a hammerhead SS backplate with an STA, basic harness and either the DR rec wing, or a singles wing. I have not used doubles, but I may in the future.

The hammerhead SS backplate weighs about 4.75 kg with the 1 piece STA and about 3.5 kg with the 2 piece STA.

Last time I went diving in the Philippines I used 5.5 kg on the belt with a 3mm wetsuit and a 12 liter aluminum tank.

1) Should I get the 1 piece STA as that's still below the 5.5 kg I used last time, or is there a good reason to choose the lighter STA? (I assuming from posts I've read here that easily ditchable weight may not be essential?)

2) Is the DR rec wing compatible with the hammerhead? (I know it's not the best wing, but it's cheap and can be used with both singles and doubles until I can afford to upgrade)

3) What would be a good (compatible) singles wing to go with the hammerhead if I decide to go that route? (and then save up for the doubles wing later)

4) Other than 1 or 2 (?) cam straps, do I need anything else to make this setup complete?

Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated. I'm still very new to backplates and wings so there may be things I'm not aware of or haven't thought about.

consider that the Hammerhead plates and STAs need to be deburred. So you need to have the tools/skills/time to do that, or buy a new harness every season.
d-s-f

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom