Oceanic BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I owned an Oceanic Chute for a few years. It's different from the Probe in that it is a backinflate, but otherwise looks quite similar in design. If a BCD, I would always recommend a backinflate though, less clutter and squeeze.

Quality experience was good as materials go (no visible wear of the surfaces). But I did have a little problem with one of the pockets' seams failing. Probably caused by to too much tension from the filled weight pouches, along with less than optimum re-inforcement.
Not a big deal, as I didn't use the pockets much anyways.

One thing to beware of with Oceanic BCs is that they tend to run quite large.
I am 6ft2, had a "Large", and always had to pull all adjustments to the minimum size to get it snug. In other clothing, I usually need XL.
No idea what kind of a hulk can possibly fit their XXL :wink:

All in all, I wasn't unhappy with it for a time, especially compared to the orange 80ies Scubabpro Jacket I had before.
Until I got really tired of hauling this heavy piece of gear around (~14lbs when dry, probably 15-20 when wet). I recommend you check how much the Probe weighs.

I finally got a BP/W. Although I was first sceptical, "why does a piece of sheetmetal and a bladder along with some weightbelt cost more than a beautifully crafted brand-name BCD"...
What can I say - there is a reason that there are so many people here who are raving about BP/W setups. I absolutely love the simplicity, lack of clutter at my sides and front, and ability to custumize (non-DIR, of course :).
My new rig weighs about half of the Chute, is negatively bouyant rather than positive, and traps very little water after the dive.

==> check out one of the BP/W. As opposed to what some LDS may tell you, it's great for any kind of diving, not just tec.

Sorry if this was only an indirect answer, but I wish I would have avoided an expensive detour a few years ago. Back then, the only people I knew using BP/Ws were religious believers of DIR. Something that rubbed me the wrong way and kept me from being open towards their gear choices.

d-s-f

Courtney, I recently sold my ProbeQLR.

It wasn't bad for a jacket BC, lots of pockets that are hard to get stuff in and out of with gloves on, or if you have some air in the BC, and God help you if you have both. :) The two most useful pockets turned out to be the "tech" pockets (not really but that's what they are called) which are the mesh pockets just back of center, just because they are out of the way and not affected by the air in the jacket. The optional integrated retractor looks more useful on land that it will be underwater.

Its a very adjustable BC and the "jacket squeeze" isn't as noticable against your body as on some other jacket BCs due to the design (again, at the expense of the room in the pockets).

Lots of D-rings (metal and plastic), but it seemed like none was ever where I really needed one. Like most jacket BCs, a little sloppy fitting with no air in it. I would've liked to have had a crotch strap to hold it on better floating at the surface, but I think only the Chute has the right "clips" for that. The other workaround is to add more air (squeeze). :rolleyes: The advice to try it on is good, the sizing may not be what you expect from their sizing chart, although the adjustability helps.

The trim weight pockets on the back are useful, but diving with a 7 mm suit is going to require a lot of weight in the weight pockets which will make good trim (think horizontal) almost impossible, though the QLR weight pocket system with delrin clips and velcro was always very secure. I wound up with some weight in the pockets and some weight on a weight belt, which is not what I was expecting to have to do.

Overall a very durable BC (the few plastic D-rings on the adjustment straps notwithstanding) that should hold up very well over time. That also makes it very heavy when you get out of the water, it'll take some time to dry.

Anyway, I got rid of mine when I (like a lot of others here) discovered how incompatible it was with the kind of proper trim I was looking to get. I tried a few backplate/wing combinations (on advice I got here and elsewhere) and bought the DSS single tank rig from Tobin with the hogathian harness and sold the Probe on eBay for about half what I paid for it new. Even with the loss I took on the jacket BC, it was still worth it. :)

Honestly there is nothing inherently bad with the Probe for a jacket BC, I just discovered a better way for me. YMMV.

Thanks for the input guys, I think Im going to get it, i like having good floatability on the surface, and i plan on using a belt anyway, Anyway im sure ill dip into the BP/W setup soon, plenty of time for that, i just cant rent gear anymore, I want my own. Thanks again and see ya in monterey!

I just recently purchased a Chute 3. I've dived tanks with it. I really enjoyed the back bladder. No squeeze and I didn't have any problems with bouyancy or orientation, both surface and below.

Bill

I bought my probe before I did my first pool dive and have not regretted it. Extremely adjustable, plenty of pockets(some are a little hard to get into and out of but that's what clips, lanyards, and retractors are for.) Don't get the oceanic retractor if you use a console. If you can get the cetacea heavy duty one. It will work and it's stronger. I added a crotch strap to mine very easily. total cost 12 bucks for materials and it's made the way I want it. Trim is not a problem if you use hard weights and make intelligent use of the back pockets. 3lbs in each front, 1 in each rear and a pst steel 80 are perfect for a 3 mil. I go to 4 & 2 with my 5mil. Dry suit gets 8 (5&3) in front ones and 3's in the back. I may add a pocket belt with a couple 2's if I'm not using the pst and I like to have seperate weight for the drysuit so I can drop but not so much that it turns me into a missile. The new probes appear to have a couple extra steel D rings. the ones I have are sufficient and are right where i need them because I've trained myself to have them and their accessories in the same place every time. The tech pockets could be a little farther forward but my surge is on a lanyard right side and pocket mask is also, left side. Right large pocket slates, small knife/whistle, left large collection bag, small no-fog for students. I also added larger tabs on the zippers to make easier with gloves on. I will go tech in a year or two but for now my probe does everything I want and need and I'm constantly finding new things it can do if I yse my head.

The Probe is virtually identical to the Ocean Pro FX except for the color. We've found the Pro FX to be very comfortable, large pockets, well made, lots of D rings, and when you can get all that for under $300 - that makes for a pretty nice BC. And we have had zero returns on them...

I understand when you say "you just can't rent gear anymore." Getting your own set up is the right way to go... Welcome to the club!

I'd have to agree with Larry, the Probe is very similar to the FX. Except for a couple slim pockets you have very little difference in BC, but quite a difference in price. No matter what Oceanic BC you get you'll be happy with their quality, so it wouldn't hurt to save a little money here with an FX. With the extra money you could always put more into a reg. or computer.

Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom