I shall do it MY WAY syndrome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronald K

Registered
Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm relatively new to diving and I like to dive not merely when on holidays but also in the weekends, so I like to buy my own gear.
I'm actually trying to find a satisfactory setup that will both suit diving in Holland as well as warm waters, let's say Mediterranean Sea.
There is one thing I consider important and that is having two first stages.
The setup that suits this is a single tank rig with two second stages and a staged second tank on the left side. This means I can use the stage for bail out and normally breathe from the main (back mounted) tank. It means also that I constantly have to be sure that the bail out is functioning and that I have only one second stage to get to the surface in a bail out situation.
ALTERNATIVELY I could use another (better) setup like this:
small, say 7l tank on my back with Y-valve and two first stages/ two seconds
Large say 12l tank sidemounted with one regulator.
Strange but with a number of advantages. Look at it like the big sidemounted tank is your 'plane' flying you to your destination so far- so good. If anything happens you use the 'parachute' small tank (but redundant regulator) on your back. You can ditch the large tank, losing some weight in the process and proceed to the surface completely redundant.
One drawback is maybe finding your balance with such a big sidemounted tank.

Tadaaaa, uhm any one ever used such a setup? Or am I close to telling the killing joke here
Like to hear your thoughts.

Ronald

You said that you want to be able to constantly make sure the bailout tank is functioning. You can't do that when it's on your back, and three first stages is totally overkill for rec diving.

Your "procedures" need to be thought out a bit more. Ditching the main tank because it's sidemounted? There's no reason for that. Keep the large main tank on your back. You will know it's malfunctioning immediately because you're breathing from it.. and then you can go to the smaller slung/sidemounted tank as your bailout. This is a better configuration because you don't have a large tank on your side and this is the only way you can keep good tabs on the bailout tank.

This method is fairly common and can work well if you regularly practice the switching procedures and make it a point to keep good tabs on the regulator, SPG, and tank that you have slung on your side.

(edit: Oh, and two valves/first stages/backups on one backup tank is twice as many O-rings that can fail and drain the backup tank without you even realizing it!)

weird can be fun

Keep It Simple!

There are many options for adding a pony tank to your kit. I'd just choose one.

Side mounting the main tank is rather pointless if the reason is that you want to be able to eject the tank?? Why oh why would one ever want to do that unless maybe lost at sea on the surface? If you want to drop weight during a dive, the tank is not the place to start. In addition very few BCD's support a side mounted tank. I think the DiveRite TransPac/Plate systems do.

In any event, one can mount a pony tank in many configurations. I don't dive with a second tank, so I can not really say what MY preference would be, but look at the options that BCD and Tank manufactures have available.

Certainly another option is to learn to dive doubles.

I'm curious however, why the huge need to have a second tank? RU diving solo?

I'm sure others who dive a pony will respond.

I would sugest to log a few more dives before experimenting ...................

I can not think of any reason i would just drop a tank to loose weight. thats what weights are for. second if your going to carry a second tank. it should be slung on your right side. you can use it as a bail out for you or just hand it off to your buddy. mounting the second tank to your back makes no sense as why not just use doubles in the first place. there are tonnes of opinions on this but when in doubt DIR.

Paul F:
I can not think of any reason i would just drop a tank to loose weight. thats what weights are for. second if your going to carry a second tank. it should be slung on your right side. you can use it as a bail out for you or just hand it off to your buddy. mounting the second tank to your back makes no sense as why not just use doubles in the first place. there are tonnes of opinions on this but when in doubt DIR.

When in Doubt DIR??
The DIR bunch says all stages are carried on the left.
My training (NAUI) also was all stages on the left

Woah, that's fast for replies. Thanks all for putting in the effort.
First of all I agree that these thoughts about setups are ahead of my experience, but why not? I'm still safe now.
I also realise I put my question in the wrong thread, I got a little confused sorry for that.
About the DIR system: I like minimalist ways and I did indeed investigate the DIR system. I even went to DIR diving shops, read all about Jablonski's merchandise and the Holy Halcyon brand and joined DIR divers in Rotterdam for a day. But I decided there must be another way (hence the title) I cannot afford multiple setups for different diving conditions, I simply wanted to investigate if I could have redundant first stages, a simple wing style bcd (single tank) like the scubapro knighthawk and therfore avoid the doubles setup. In this way I could use most of the stuff during holidays as well. Although pony bottles may not be that easy to get at all destinations.
I agree that ditching the large sidemounted tank would not be the first thing to do, but at least it would be possible; contrary to any backmounted tanks. Then, I wouldn't need a backplate wich reduces non ditchable weight further. Also I could choose any tank I like for a simple dive and be more flexible.
I mentioned I want to be sure at all times that my backup air is available; I meant that by breathing it some times it should become clear if it is or not. Not being able to see leaks is also important for the main supply isn't it?
About the number of failure points: a manifolded double set with isolator has a lot of them.
I see that from your answers the right setup would be the main supply backmounted and pony bottle.
I rest my case for the three first stages and small bottle on the back. I would simply use a bigger pony (testing) and let some air remain in the main tank in proper independent doubles style. Do you think taking a 7L or even a 10L tank with me attached to one shoulder D-ring and one waist D-ring is something that not a lot of bcd's can do? A full 10L is maybe 3,5-4kg neg. That's not too much is it?

Thanks again
P.S. I have nothing against diving doubles with isolator/manifold but they tend to determine the rest of my equipment.

The ideal rig (most streamlined and simple) for this set-up would be a BP/W (aluminum if worried about weight) with a single wings and a side mounted "pony" or stage. The large main tank is monitored through the pressure gauge and a leak would be right behind the head so you would hear a large one quickly. The stage is slung from the left hip/chest dring and pressure is added than turned off. Leaks will be seen because the tank is in front of you. A BP/W doesn't ditacte diving doubles or limit what type of tanks are used. There are a few wings that will work with both singles or doubles (this would not be DIR) but they have drawbacks. Also to change a BP/W doesn't require a whole new set-up to dive different tanks. The same BP and harness are used for singles or doubles and only the wing is changed when you move to doubles. Fof the type of diving you are talking about a BP/W gives you the most options and will allow easier transition to more advanced diving if that occurs over the course of your diving.

I considered the eclipse wing but since it has no shoulder dump other than the corrugated hose. Anybody there who can assure me that its ok without the shoulder dump? You know it's always just when you think you found the right bcd that someone comes up with a negative aspect of it. The corrugated hose alledgedly lets in water when dumping air as opposed to a shoulder dump, although I don't see why there should be a difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom