Airline Carry On?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BVI Diver!

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys I have Ikelite housing and Digital Rebel Xt And Strobe. All of my gear goes in a Pelican 1550 Hard case.

The dimmensions are 20-11/16" x 17-3/16" x 8-9/16"
(52.5 cm x 43.6 cm x 21.7 cm)

It is off by 1" on the according to the dimm posted on US Airways site. Will they sweat me for 1"?

Have any of you used the 1550 as a carry on? If so did you have any problems? Any help would be appreciated.

I've not used a 1550, but generally I find that most trips I can just not show them my carry on and they rarely ask to see it.

Probably also depends on if you are going international or domestic, domestic I really doubt you will have an issue, international you MIGHT although for 1 inch you can probably persuade them (given that it's fragile equipment).

Since you said it's a hard case and if the height dimension is the one that is over may cause a big problem, but 1" otherwise I don't think they'll sweet it. Be prepared to check it in if you have to. I'll measure my carry on and post it later, as it seems to just fit.

Unfortunately, if they stick it into one of those little metal crates to check the size,, you're screwed!

BVI Diver!:
Hey guys I have Ikelite housing and Digital Rebel Xt And Strobe. All of my gear goes in a Pelican 1550 Hard case.

The dimmensions are 20-11/16" x 17-3/16" x 8-9/16"
(52.5 cm x 43.6 cm x 21.7 cm)

It is off by 1" on the according to the dimm posted on US Airways site. Will they sweat me for 1"?

Have any of you used the 1550 as a carry on? If so did you have any problems? Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I don't KNOW if you will have a problem with this case carryon. I can say this however, most security checkin has a plexiglass template that the case must fit through. If the handle extends beyond the maxium width, or if the height of the case is even 1mm too tall, it ain't going to fit through the template, and you will have to check it.

With a soft sided case (which I use a LowePro Nature Trekker) the case is a bit to big however I can shove it through the bag template. That is not going to be the case with a hardsided case.

Your best bet might be to contact the airlines unless someone can post who has used this case as a carryon extensively. Even if you call the airlines, and it looks like it will work, if it won't go through the template prepare to check it.

As for the *cause it's fragile, or expensive argument* TSA could care less. In fact they may perfer it to be checked so they can inspect it and steal the contents :11:

Harsh words, but unfortunately there has been more than a few postings from people who have had everything from stupid bead necklaces stolen, to entire housings and ports.

IMO, do NOT put your camera body on a check in bag. Even the lower end digital SLR's are just too easy to steal and sell on the used market.

My carry on bag measures 21" x 14" x 10 1/2", so it seems your's will fit. I have never had to put my carry on thru any size template of any sort. But I'd have some of those TSA approved locks just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom