Mmmm... the new Suunto D6...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkUK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well, Suunto has finally unveiled its new D6 and very tasty it is too!

I have been a long-time owner of a Stinger, and love it to bits. I wasn't blown away by the D9 – like the compass, and the three-gas switch, but the buckle on the strap was crap and I wasn't into the full-on 'bling' and bulk of the casing. Plus, the price was a shocker!

The D6 looks to combine the best of both worlds. It is a similar size to the Stinger, but with a more-modern strap and different buckle to the D9 (yay!), it can handle two gas mixes, it has the compass, and deep stops, as well as all the usual Suunto bits and bobs you'd expect, but no transmitter/air-integration. It is also going to have an SRP of £470-ish in the UK, which makes it only slightly more expensive than the steel Stinger, so I reckon Suunto are going to have another winner on their hands.

Have a look on www.suunto.com for piccies and full spec, etc.

Mark

MarkUK:
Well, Suunto has finally unveiled its new D6 and very tasty it is too!

Looks great.

Too bad they didn't get rid of the pointless digital compass.

Now if only Suunto will bring something similar with a larger display to market - something like a Vytec DS without the AI/transmitter capability and an expanded gauge mode (average depth etc.).

Vie:
...something like a Vytec DS without the AI/transmitter capability and an expanded gauge mode (average depth etc.).
They'd screw it up the same way Uwatec did, calculating average depth from the minute it was wet instead of from when you were first at a significant depth.

I wrote Suunto about this before:

You know when you are on your SI, the stinger goes back to watch mode. To see your SI time you have to go back to dive mode. However in watch mode you can press the "+" button and get dual time, then date etc. In other words pressing the plus or minus buttons gives you a second display option. I said it would be great if one option woould be to display the SI time. The computer is keeping track of it anyway.

Wouldnt it be great to see your SI time right there without having to go to dive mode? I wonder if this has been addressed? or doea the D9 already have it?

Anybody? No manuals on the www yet.

I had my eyes set on the D9 when I upgrade my dive computer. But looking at the D6 and its price, I may just decide to dump my Nemo right now! :D

Aqua Lung USA has announced the release of the new Suunto D6 here in the United States in early April. This is a slightly scaled down (as far as features go) version of the D9 at a much lower price. It has many of the features of the D9, including wireless transmission, multiple gasses, integrated compass, and all three modes. In addition, it has the deep stop technology currently being integrated into the Vytec DS. We will have additional information up on our website late today or tomorrow morning. Thanks.

Phil Ellis
Dive Sports Online
www.divesports.com
(800) 601-DIVE

From D9,
It excludes

No optional transmitter - about $400
Optional PC cable -about $150 (I don't recall it correctly though)
Two gases instead of three gases - about $100.

It sounds like Suunto asks the price as they should get.....
I don't know the price difference on between D6 and Vytec DS though...

Can't wait to see if the strap on the D6 will work on the D9...look to be much better!

Well, a prototype D6 just landed on my desk, and very tasty it is too. The strap is far better than the D9, and it has a normal, albeit it chunky, buckle, so much comfier for everyday use.

It isn't much different in width to my Stinger, and depth-wise it is actually a little slimmer. Looks good with a brushed finish – no bling like the D9!

I will give it a good thrashing out in Curacao, and let you know my findings on my return, but on first looks, it does look like Suunto have come up with the good yet again.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom