Kino Bay, MX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rossi777

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anybody dove this area? If I brought my kayak, do you think I could access some decent sites?

I haven't, but you'd also have to bring your own air. Kino Bay isn't built up very much. They don't even have a marina yet (I've heard there are plans for one). I haven't dove there, but I don't imagine it would be much different than San Carlos diving. I'm not sure it would be worth it to lug down a bunch of gear and tanks for.

Took a marine biological collecting trip down there about 1971 or 1972. We took 8 Klepper folboat kayaks, tons of collecting jars, undenatured ethyl alcohol (so good with grape juice!), and lots of Mountain freeze-dried food.

The best diving would probably be around the offshore islands like Pelican (3-5 miles)... or Tiburon if you're up to a long paddle (about 20 miles if I remember correctly).

Just keep this in mind. As my assistant and I were paddling our 18' double kayak out to Pelican Island, we were approached by a tiger shark which eyed us and then passed under the bow of the kayak (my end) lifting it up and causing me to do an extreme balancing act. We estimated the length at 22 ft. Good thing no one looked at our underwear when we finally made it back to the beach late that night. The shrimp fleet off Pelican Island thought we were the bravest men in the Sea of Cortez that day since they saw us in "that tiny boat" with the shark that had taken several of their crew over the years.

Still want to dive there?

I wish I'd experienced the Sea of Cortez 30+ years ago. I've only recently fallen for the area.

drbill:
Took a marine biological collecting trip down there about 1971 or 1972. We took 8 Klepper folboat kayaks, tons of collecting jars, undenatured ethyl alcohol (so good with grape juice!), and lots of Mountain freeze-dried food.

The best diving would probably be around the offshore islands like Pelican (3-5 miles)... or Tiburon if you're up to a long paddle (about 20 miles if I remember correctly).

Just keep this in mind. As my assistant and I were paddling our 18' double kayak out to Pelican Island, we were approached by a tiger shark which eyed us and then passed under the bow of the kayak (my end) lifting it up and causing me to do an extreme balancing act. We estimated the length at 22 ft. Good thing no one looked at our underwear when we finally made it back to the beach late that night. The shrimp fleet off Pelican Island thought we were the bravest men in the Sea of Cortez that day since they saw us in "that tiny boat" with the shark that had taken several of their crew over the years.

Still want to dive there?

I can't find it now, but I recall seeing a photo you posted of a wetsuit you recently replaced. The back side was...well...not in the best condition. Wondering if that was the suit you wore on that trip... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom