Best Gauge Setup & Where to Put Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc2

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to create the simplest setup trying to consolidate all my gauges in the least number of places as possible. One thing I've found diving is that whenever I've worn a wrist computer, I've checked it far more than my pressure gauge. In fact, the only time I have even remotely got into trouble involved getting caught off guard with less pressure than I thought I had because I hadn't checked it in a while. One time it was due to a lot of air consumption from swimming against an unexpected current around a bend and the other time was due to a small leak in one of the hose connectors that I hadn't noticed.

I'm a gadget junky so my inclination is to get a wrist computer with hoseless air integration. I see you can get a VT Pro or similar on E-bay for around $500-$600. In that case I'd put an SPG on a short hose as a backup and clip it to my BC strap. Then that leaves where to put the compass. Although not the most important gauge I guess I could just wear one on the other wrist but then if I start doing tech diving, wear to put a backup computer? Maybe just strap it around one of the D-rings? Or can I buy a mini compass that will simply snap around the band of one of the wrist computers? I think the Aladin or another wrist computer comes with a little mini compass on the band. Cool idea. I guess maybe a hose mount or clip mount compass might due. Not fond of a bunch of things hanging all over the place - the mini compass on the wrist band seems so much cleaner?

Considering I don't dive much, I'm probably spending more money than I should. I probably should just go with an Atmos 2, analog pressure guage, and compass in a standard console mount then not have to deal with an SPG on a short hose as a backup. (But everyone is raving about having a wrist computer - just doesn't make sense without an RPG if it distracts me from looking at my PG often.) There, everything is in one location so when I have to look at my computer it's next to the PG and vice versa. Cheaper than the hoseless solution but I'm not going to be really fond of that big three gauge console flopping around.

Hi!

Well, not everyone likes a wrist computer; at least not for rec diving. Though it may seem so from ScubaBoard posts sometimes.

Another thing a lot of people seem to distrust is wireless data links; I'd agree with that.

Where to put your compass, I think, will depend a lot on how much and under what conditions you're likely to be using it. If you're going to be doing a lot of precision navigation, I think you'd need a full-size compass on your wrist or on a nav slate.

On the other hand, if you'll only be using the compass for orientation or occasional easy navigation, then you could indeed use a mini-compass on the strap of another gauge. Or put into a console like I do, if you like your gauges in one place.

I use my compass occasionally, for orientation or straight-line navigation in decent visibility. So I like the type of console where the compass is on the reverse side from my SPG and computer -- it keeps the console a reasonable length -- I look at the latter two gauges all the time, and the compass less so. But that's just me.

Of course, my console is clipped off... something that's not immediately obvious from my avatar...

--Marek

I like having a big compass on my wrist - I find that a console mounted compass or a small computer/watch "strap mount" compass rather ackward to use... It's even nicer if you have a low profile bungied compass "boot" - the one DSS makes for the Suunto SK7 is great.

http://www.deepseasupply.com/page19.html

I use a stand alone brass SPG on a 24" hose clipped to a D-ring on my waist strap - this way it is out of the way.

Compass on the left wrist , computer on right . SPG on 24 inch hose clipped to my lt d ring . Thats all thats needed. Forget about the second computer idea , not needed, if you get into tech diving you will probably put your computer in gauge mode and i still run my wrist watch (mounted below my compass) as an extra timer.

terrasmak:
Compass on the left wrist , computer on right . SPG on 24 inch hose clipped to my lt d ring . Thats all thats needed. Forget about the second computer idea , not needed, if you get into tech diving you will probably put your computer in gauge mode and i still run my wrist watch (mounted below my compass) as an extra timer.

Sounds perfect. One more decision taken care of. Thanks.

I agree 100% with terrasmack couldn't have said it any better!
:14:

If I am diving in good vis I wear my computer on my left wrist, turned in it's holder so I see it is "straight on" when I look at it and keep my compass in my BC pocket; my alternate is integrated and my spg is a small 2" gauge on a hose just long enough for me to look at and is attached to a retractable device. That's all, very slim profile.

However, I dove the Cooper River for artifacts last week end and there was about 1' of vis, very cold, strong current. That is when I put everything on a console, compass and computer on one side and spg on the other.

hey Nevis consider a retracable compas. It clips to your BCD and you pull it out
whenyou need it and it retracts ( on a line ) when you don't

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom