Suunto Gekko - Dive Download ???? [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Suunto Gekko - Dive Download ????

Sponsored Link
Pages : [1] 2

CIBDiving
March 10th, 2006, 10:42 PM
How many have the Suunto Gekko? How many are tired of Suunto telling you you can't download profiles from a Gekko? Well You can! The data is in there the SDM just won't get it out.

Here's a program that enables the Gekko for downloading! The only change it makes is to fool the SDM into thinking it's talking to a Vyper. You can switch back and forth if it bothers you to have a AC/DC computer on you ;)

http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/Other%20Free%20Stuff/Gekko2vyper.zip

rainman_02
March 10th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Dude, that is awesome!

*Edit* -- Worked with my Gekko and my Suunto serial cable (using a USB/serial adapter).

CIBDiving
March 11th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Dude, that is awesome!

*Edit* -- Worked with my Gekko and my Suunto serial cable (using a USB/serial adapter).

Thanks! Glad you liked it.
and Thanks for the feedback as to the interface used! it's greatly appriecated.

I'm not sure yet, but it looks like All or Most of the features of the Vyper are in the Gekko, Suunto has just disabled the use of them by prohibiting the setting of those features from the outside. For example, by direct memory writes, I can set the Gekko into "Gauge Mode", I can set a different sample time - all the options the vyper has. I don't know if they work, however, I borrowed this Gekko and I promised not to dive it, that way I didn't have to pay the rental.

One major difference between the Gekko and the vyper - once you download the data, the dive computer clears all profiles!!!! You only get one shot at it. I'm also not sure at this time if the 'streched' settings stay after the computers goes to sleep and you restart it.
It may be nessesary to run the download enabler each time you want a download.

rainman_02
March 11th, 2006, 01:35 PM
I own a Gekko (backup) and Vytec (primary). I'll hopefully be diving this weekend, so if you have any more code that you want tested out, I'd be happy to put it in "Gauge" mode and throw it in my pocket on the dives.

*Edit* -- My Gekko still displays all the dives I downloaded to my PC in its built-in "logbook" feature.

rainman_02
March 13th, 2006, 11:03 PM
*bump*

CIBDiving
March 14th, 2006, 06:51 PM
RainMan if you go to the same download address
and instead get this file "Project1.exe" you can set the geko's mode and light time.

Don't worry about what does and doesn't work and you will have to play with the "comm delay" a little to get it to work, It's a much more primitive test program than the others.

rainman_02
March 15th, 2006, 03:36 PM
It looks like it kicked into gauge mode. I don't think the light set routine will work...I didn't think the Gekko had a backlight. I know it has a phosphorescent display that you can charge with a dive light.

I'll dive this as soon as I can, and I'd be willing to do other testing, too.

rainman_02
March 15th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Also, it stays in gauge mode even after it goes to "sleep." I'll see if it will stay in gauge mode after turning off completely, but I suspect it will.

rainman_02
March 18th, 2006, 02:12 AM
I got in the water with it today, just for a nice snorkle around Tumon Bay, but I did find a 7' deep area to put the Gekko down on the sand. I left it there for a few minutes in the "gauge mode." It behaved just like it was in "air mode."

CIBDiving
March 18th, 2006, 03:33 AM
As in it supplied 'nodeco' times ect.? oh well, you can't have everything - I guess you'll just have to be happy with profiles out of it. I would like to try setting a different sample rate into one and see what happens.

Thanks for checking for me.

Atticus
March 30th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Too bad about no gauge mode - for use as a bottom timer that's pretty essential if you want to do multiple dives. Other than that what a rocking little computer! :)

If anyone is able to go a little further and get gauge mode working I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.

CIBDiving
March 30th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Well, I haven't given up - YET! But the owner of the LDS is getting a little miffed at me for turning all his gekkos into vipers :-) Recently, I've been putting his company name into them for the 'personal data', so he's a little more understanding. He still wants me to 'rent' them if I dive them though.

CMAN
March 30th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I have a Geko and would like to be able to download it to my computer but I am pretty new at this computer stuff. I have no idea what a "SDM" is ? or what you mean by having a ac/dc computer ?

CIBDiving
March 30th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I have a Geko and would like to be able to download it to my computer but I am pretty new at this computer stuff. I have no idea what a "SDM" is ? or what you mean by having a ac/dc computer ?

The Ac/dc computer is a joke.

"SDM" stands for 'Suunto Dive Manager' - it's suunto's dive log software. Suunto has left the download capability out of the Geeko but only in the SDM. The computer itself has an interface port and stores the profile data, just like all the other models do. You just can't read it out with the SDM is all. That's about to change, A couple of third party divelogs are going to support direct suunto downloads ( currently most just 'import' of the data after it's been downloaded with suunto's software ). Because they don't use suunto's software they WILL download from gekkos. If you wish to use suunto's software AND download a Gekko, you must fool the software into thinking it's talking to something other than a gekko.

I have a small program that does just that. It makes the gekko report to the SDM that it's a vyper. It 'Fools' the SDM into downloading it's data. It's also a completely safe thing and it's reversable.

Black Dog
March 30th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Where can you get a connection cable.
What is it, a usb port connection?
Thanks

CIBDiving
March 30th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Where can you get a connection cable.
What is it, a usb port connection?
Thanks

The Gekko uses the same interface cable as the Cobra/Viper/Vytec. It's available in RS232 or USB, either from suunto or third party or DIY.

rainman_02
March 30th, 2006, 11:32 PM
CIB,

I'm happy to dive my Gekko to test out code you've got. And, I might be volunteering my Gekko for a little bit of risk here, but you could probably convince me to lend you my Gekko for extended testing up there in AK.

deepandcold
March 31st, 2006, 03:57 AM
Hello!
I'm new around here and my english is probably not the best, but I'll try:

The gekko2vyper tool didn't work with my USB/Serial Adapter. After using a "normal" COM-Port it worked.
After this I transfered the dives to my PC using SDM 2.3.

GREAT! :D

once you download the data, the dive computer clears all profiles!!!

Well, I don't think so! The transfer was complete, but I can still see all the data on the Gekko itself.

deepandcold
March 31st, 2006, 05:30 AM
addendum:

I just used another PC and was able to transfer all the dives again.

CIBDiving
March 31st, 2006, 06:56 AM
The problem with clearing the memory was solved in a later version of the API.
I had a buffer overrun error that 'lost' a byte of information causeing the DC to loose the stored data. The buggy program was, I'm Glad to say, never released, I found the error on the build before I posted it.

I would like to know more about the problem with useing a USB to rs232 adapter. What (if any) errors were reported? Exactly when did it fail? ect.

Atticus
March 31st, 2006, 10:57 AM
CIBDiving - If I can be of assistance please let me know. I am a software engineer by day and a dive instructor by night. I ordered a Gekko to play with this.

rainman_02
March 31st, 2006, 11:15 AM
I would like to know more about the problem with useing a USB to rs232 adapter. What (if any) errors were reported? Exactly when did it fail? ect.

I have the RS232 official Suunto cable and some cheap generic RS232 to USB adaptor since my laptop doesn't have an RS232 port. The only problems I had were the positioning of the Suunto contacts so that they actually touched the Gekko contacts without losing connection.

I am (hopefully) going diving this weekend and I can try out the possible Gauge mode.

CIBDiving
March 31st, 2006, 02:42 PM
I have the RS232 official Suunto cable and some cheap generic RS232 to USB adaptor since my laptop doesn't have an RS232 port. The only problems I had were the positioning of the Suunto contacts so that they actually touched the Gekko contacts without losing connection.

That is a problem no matter what program you use.

The Gekko2vyper program just changes the dive computer's ID tag from a 'gekko' ( 13 ) to a 'vyper' (10 ). Any valid ID would work, stinger = 3, mosquito =4, cobra =11, vytec=12. I don't know what a D3,D6 and D9 are but if someone wants to check and let me know that would be great!

You need to use the program 'Project1' on the same site as the gekko2vyper program to change the Mode of the DC, You can set the sample rate and a few other things too. Problem with gauge mode on the gekko is you can't set it to any other mode and get back to gauge - you must set it from a PC. Didn't you try it once and we had a failure? It went into the water in guage but it acted like it was in air mode once it started the dive.

maractwin
March 31st, 2006, 05:45 PM
The D6 and D9 use a completely different protocol. The D3's ID code is 5. The D3 does encode a few things differently, but largely works like the older Suuntos.

-Mark

CIBDiving
March 31st, 2006, 06:38 PM
You wouldn't be inclined to share a little more info would you??

rainman_02
March 31st, 2006, 08:33 PM
Didn't you try it once and we had a failure? It went into the water in guage but it acted like it was in air mode once it started the dive.

It sets into Gauge mode, but I could only get it into 7 feet of water that weekend, so I couldn't fully test it.

From comparing the Vyper to Vytec documentation though, the Vytec has minutes : seconds on the gauge display where it appears the Vyper has only minutes for the gauge display.

As soon as I can dive deeper with the Gekko in Gauge mode, I will. And if it will help the development, like I said earlier, I would be willing to part with my Gekko for a while for you to test/debug/experiment.

deepandcold
April 1st, 2006, 09:32 AM
I'm using an USB/Serial adapter with the Prolific PL-2303 Chipset and the latest drivers by Prolific:
http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/Products.asp?ID=59

The Interface is an original Suunto-Serial-Interface.

This combination always worked fine - with every version von SDM including the newest (2.3).

However... your tool simply sais, that it can't find the interface. So I went to a friend whose computer has a RS232 build in. Everything worked fine.

Now I can connect my Gekko the same way as my Vyper.

Atticus
April 1st, 2006, 12:10 PM
To me the real test of gauge mode would be to take the computer into deco, make sure the bottom time and depth continue to be shown, attempt to violate the computer, then take the computer on a second dive with 24 hours to make sure depth and time are still shown.

If you're not up for a multi-gas deco dive just to test your computer maybe a goody bag and long piece of string would do the trick. Dangle the computer at 100' during lunch (200' if you're a fast eater) and then pull it up directly to the surface.

maractwin
April 1st, 2006, 02:05 PM
You wouldn't be inclined to share a little more info would you??

I do plan to publish the D9/D6 protocol once I've got it fully working with my software. I'm 90% of the way there now, but am still having problems with some of the alarms and a few odds and ends.

-Mark

awtopsja
April 6th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Hi, I am new to this site. I am interested in buying a GEKKO computer and looking forward to try and 'fix' the problem with PC Interfacing. However, one of my friends told me that once he was about to buy a GEKKO, but didn't since it has no PC interfacing (according to Suunto). As I viewed this site, I told him about the Interfacing 'fix' and he told me that there isn't any interfacing port on the GEKKO. This greatly contrasts with what is being said here! Is there an interfacing port on the GEKKO or not? If yes, could you please tell me where is it located?

Footslogger
April 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Is there an interfacing port on the GEKKO or not? If yes, could you please tell me where is it located?
=================================
Yeah ...there's a port. It's on the outside bottom of the case. Have never used it and don't have the cable ...but it's there.

Been reading this thread with interest but don't think I'm ever gonna do the download thing.

'Slogger

awtopsja
April 6th, 2006, 12:57 PM
=================================
Yeah ...there's a port. It's on the outside bottom of the case. Have never used it and don't have the cable ...but it's there.

Been reading this thread with interest but don't think I'm ever gonna do the download thing.

'Slogger
Thanks for your reply! Does the manual that comes with the computer indicate this PC Interface port. Because, i am finding it a bit strange. What's the use for Suunto to say that it has no PC interfacing, and then they manufacture it with a port?

So if I understood you well, the port should be on the underside of the computer i.e. the side that comes into contact with your wrist. Is it?

Thanks again.

Footslogger
April 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=awtopsja]Thanks for your reply! Does the manual that comes with the computer indicate this PC Interface port.
=====================================
I'll look tonight and let you know. I know the manual references the port and how it can be used but off the top of my head I forget the details, since I never intended to use it.

'Slogger

Atticus
April 6th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks for your reply! Does the manual that comes with the computer indicate this PC Interface port. Because, i am finding it a bit strange. What's the use for Suunto to say that it has no PC interfacing, and then they manufacture it with a port?

So if I understood you well, the port should be on the underside of the computer i.e. the side that comes into contact with your wrist. Is it?

Thanks again.

I think the consensus is that the Vyper and Gekko are really the same computer with a different device ID and/or different firmware. They save on manufacturing cost by making one unit instead of two, and they can still sell a low end unit and a higher end unit.

CIBDiving
April 6th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Thanks again.

The Gekko is identical to the vyper/vytec computers, outwardly. If you were to remove the 'Gekko' label from the case you couldn't tell the difference.
It uses to exact same interface the vyper/vytec computers use. The difference is, instead of the display reading "TR-PC" when it's in transfer mode, the Gekko reads " PC SET".

There is a thing called 'Marketing", those involed in this have many strange ideas. Fortunatly there are also lawyers,they are perhaps stranger. And finaly the are software engineers, possibly the strangest of all. the Last group makes their product in 'moduals', they test these moduals (mostly to please the lawyers ). now the first group says " we don't want this to have a PC connection. The Lawyers say "We don't want changes that effect tested critical moduals". the Engeeniers only change the display and button moduals, Not the critical NDL moduals that track nitrogen writes profile ect. and finaly there is management that makes the desision to reuse as many parts already outsourced as possible. so Instead of a new computer you get a stipped down vyper that has been hobbled by I/O. since suunto has a (almost) monopoly on dowloadingf their computers they just refuse to dowm load a Gekko and tell you you can't - you believe them.

rainman_02
April 7th, 2006, 01:40 AM
CIB, the new version of the Project1 software is slow compared to the version I downloaded a while ago, I originally thought it wasn't working.

However, this is with my Gekko hooked up:

http://www.usafa02.com/temp/gekko.jpg

You rock, dude. I'm going to get this into the water this weekend. Hopefully. My last two weekends of diving cancelled because the boat isn't ready. However, this weekend is beach diving, so I should get in the water fine.

CIBDiving
April 7th, 2006, 02:37 AM
The early version used default values at startup - NOT what was set in your computer You had to explicitly "get" the info if you wanted to see what the settings were. The new version opens the port and then reads each value into it's place, so that you see 'your' computer setup when it's done. This takes a considerable amount of time, ~ 2 sec for each. The API has a routine that reads all the data out of the computer in one read ( well 3 really) and then you can work on it externaly and rewrite it when your done, that will allow an 'undo' of any changes you make.

Look for a few dive log programs to be released soon with this API included.

Tony Dwyer
April 9th, 2006, 10:45 AM
How many have the Suunto Gekko? How many are tired of Suunto telling you you can't download profiles from a Gekko? Well You can! The data is in there the SDM just won't get it out.

Here's a program that enables the Gekko for downloading! The only change it makes is to fool the SDM into thinking it's talking to a Vyper. You can switch back and forth if it bothers you to have a AC/DC computer on you ;)

I bought a new Gekko for my lady recently. Used your utility to connect to the laptop via a USB<>Serial adapter that I got from Maplins. Works fine.

Thanks

Tony

regards

Diveral
April 14th, 2006, 10:12 PM
This is awesome. Anyone knows if it works on a Mac? If it doesn't then I may try on my work computer.

CIBDiving
April 14th, 2006, 11:15 PM
well, the converter program is a windows program, so that needs a PC. But once the change is made Any opsystem that has a suunto download program for it Should work.

Black Dog
April 15th, 2006, 09:44 AM
I have been trying to find a download cable. I do not see them on the Sunnuto web sit. Any other sources?
Thanks

CIBDiving
April 15th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I have been trying to find a download cable. I do not see them on the Sunnuto web sit. Any other sources?
Thanks

http://www.customidea.com/hr-usbdive1.php

Black Dog
April 15th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the link.Looks like a UK company. Anyplace in the US have them?

maractwin
April 15th, 2006, 11:36 PM
DiveLog on a Mac should work with a Gekko. It doesn't care that this is a model that Suunto says shouldn't download.

-Mark

CMAN
April 21st, 2006, 09:48 AM
I got my download cable yesterday and after messing around with it (for about 2 hours) I got it to work (don't ask me how I am new to using computers). Thank You CIBDiving !

DiveBandit
April 24th, 2006, 06:53 PM
CIBDiving, Your program is excellent. I recently bought a Vyper for myself and a Gekko for my son, I can now download both DC's logs for review. Please keep up the great work. If you ever put up a website with a donations feature let me know, I'd be glad to contribute to the cause.

SteWells
May 3rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
How far does this go?

Are the Gekko, Vyper, and Vytec all the same units? Can a Gekko 'become' a Vytec? Or a Vyper 'become' a Vytec?

stonefish35
May 3rd, 2006, 04:41 PM
Humm, this is getting interesting. If i'm not wrong, a Vytec has hoseless function. For that to happen, there need to be a receiver unit within Vytec. I doubt Suunto will include the reciever unit in the Gekko or Vyper.

Atticus
May 3rd, 2006, 04:51 PM
I'm guessing that what he's looking for is the 3 gas nitrox computer functions. I'd be interested in this as well. Unfortunately Rainmans experience with gauge mode suggests that there are limits to how far you can go poking these bits.

melle
May 3rd, 2006, 05:21 PM
I am pretty sure that Vyper and Gekko differ only in software (apart from the backlight not being there on a Gekko). That is, apparently it is even only a *setting* of the software.

Vytec is different in hardware and software, because of the air integration (and receiver)... it might be very much the same as the Cobra, which does air integration as well.

Key is: Gekko is younger than Vyper. That's probably why they are internally the same. Cobra and Vyper are older than Vytec. It is unlikely that these units are capable of calculating with multiple gasses (introduced in Vytec).

My $0.02.

Melle

neonstingray
May 3rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
Interesting thread. You see electronics manufacturers pull this technique all the time. I think the most incredible example I've heard of was given to me by my boss at work. Years ago our physics research lab had an IBM mainframe system that costed a couple hundred thousand dollars (this was a long time ago). They later paid an additional $50k to have it upgraded. The 'upgrade' was a guy coming in with wire cutters, and snipping a couple wires in the back. Grant it, they had figured they'd probably see something like that happen, but they still did it because they were effectively paying for the professional support of the computer after the modifcation. Had they done it themselves and had a problem, they'd be in a quite a mess.

Austin

CIBDiving
May 3rd, 2006, 06:02 PM
How far does this go?

Are the Gekko, Vyper, and Vytec all the same units? Can a Gekko 'become' a Vytec? Or a Vyper 'become' a Vytec?

No. well, at least I haven't been able to find a way, And I doubt it is possable.

My program doesn't turn a gekko into a vyper in any case. It changes the value of one memory location to cause the Dive Manager software to think the gekko is a vyper. It has NO effect on the gekko at all - as far as I can tell the gekko never reads the value. The gekko saves the profile info no matter what value is there - you just can't read it out with suunto's software.
You can make the DM program think the gekko is anything from a Mosquito to a Vytec and it makes no difference to the gekko. You can do the same to all the similar memory model suuntos, from mosquito to vytec ( you can't do the "D" computers they have a different memory layout) and it will have no effect no the dive computer, only the DM.

It is a different thing to turn on say 'gauge mode'. That is a value in the memory that will effect the computer. You can't do that with my download enabler program, you need 'Project1' or a similar program. With the Gekko you can enable the backlite and adjust the ontime, all things you can do with the othermodels, it does no good as suunto didn't put a backlit display in the gekko. Along the same line however, you can adjust the profile sample rate ( the interval between sample points is by default 30 sec I believe ) on the Gekko ( done through the DM ) and That will work just as it does on the other models.

Suunto has done a good job of hiding the Mix info as well. You would think that the current FO2 setting ( and in the Vytec all 3 ) would be available in the memory block, but it isn't. Neither is the PPO2 max value. Those are saved to the profile data but they aren't available to an external program.

SteWells
May 4th, 2006, 07:24 AM
So the Vyper still has features which the Gekko doesn't? (eg. gauge mode)

stonefish35
May 4th, 2006, 09:21 AM
The Vyper has backlight, SIM and guage mode. The link below allows the side by side comparison of different models of Suunto DC. It helped a great deal when I was deciding which DC to buy last yr.
http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/ar...?search=search

SteWells
May 4th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I meant even with this software, the only thing it does is make the Gekko downloadable?

stonefish35
May 4th, 2006, 09:44 AM
So far, it seems like this case. Unless someone is about to "upload' the vyper OS into Gekko ? :D

navillus
May 5th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Hi all. This looks like a great program, but being the newbie I am, I am having trouble with the program. When I run the program, it will tell me that the com was opened successfully, but then, less then 5 seconds later, it will tell me that the device has timed out. What am I doing wrong?

CIBDiving
May 5th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Hi all. This looks like a great program, but being the newbie I am, I am having trouble with the program. When I run the program, it will tell me that the com was opened successfully, but then, less then 5 seconds later, it will tell me that the device has timed out. What am I doing wrong?

You're doing nothing wrong - there's a bug in the latest release of the DLL. I have a half dozen versions of that thing running around on my system and it looks like a lab rat got loose.
I've been doing a custom version for a divelog maker and while this works fine for them, It causes an error in this program.

Check back tonite or tommorow and I'll have ( I hope ) a fix ready for download.

navillus
May 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I'll do that. Thank you very much.

CIBDiving
May 5th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Ok, New version uploaded and ready. I think this solves the problem, but Please let me know if anybody has a problem.

navillus
May 5th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks. The new program is working great. All my dives got downloaded. THanks for all the time you spent on making this thing work and offering it to all of us!

HMaren
June 14th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I'm not sure yet, but it looks like All or Most of the features of the Vyper are in the Gekko, Suunto has just disabled the use of them by prohibiting the setting of those features from the outside. For example, by direct memory writes, I can set the Gekko into "Gauge Mode", I can set a different sample time - all the options the vyper has.

Are you voiding Suunto's warranty by doing this. What if there's a computer problem that requires Suunto to service it? Wouldn't they know that you've messed with the computer?

HMaren
June 14th, 2006, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=CIBDiving]I'm not sure yet, but it looks like All or Most of the features of the Vyper are in the Gekko, Suunto has just disabled the use of them by prohibiting the setting of those features from the outside. For example, by direct memory writes, I can set the Gekko into "Gauge Mode", I can set a different sample time - all the options the vyper has.

Are you voiding Suunto's warranty by doing this. What if there's a computer problem that requires Suunto to service it? Wouldn't they know that you've messed with the computer?

HMaren
June 14th, 2006, 08:03 PM
well, the converter program is a windows program, so that needs a PC. But once the change is made Any opsystem that has a suunto download program for it Should work.

Do you mean the converter program that will make the PC think that it's talking to a Vyper for download purposes or the program that converts the Gekko into the Vyper?

Sorry, it's been so long since I've been a Windows user. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting instructions on how I can download my Gekko to my Mac?

Thanks a lot.

CIBDiving
June 14th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Do you mean the converter program that will make the PC think that it's talking to a Vyper for download purposes or the program that converts the Gekko into the Vyper?

Yes.
The Program works by changing one byte in the Gekko's memory to a code that corresponds the code used to ID a vyper to the 'Suunto Dive Manager' divelogging software. The Vyper,Vytec,Gekko,Stinger and Mosquito computers all share a common memory layout. A single byte number is used to indentify the computer type to the PC software. Suunto's Program reads that byte and if it reads the code for a gekko, it will report that a download is not possible.

Sorry, it's been so long since I've been a Windows user. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting instructions on how I can download my Gekko to my Mac?

Thanks a lot.

The software I've written only works on Windows, However a Mac based dive log program is available @ http://divelog.actwin.com/
It works with the Gekko as is.

CIBDiving
June 14th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I'm not sure yet, but it looks like All or Most of the features of the Vyper are in the Gekko, Suunto has just disabled the use of them by prohibiting the setting of those features from the outside. For example, by direct memory writes, I can set the Gekko into "Gauge Mode", I can set a different sample time - all the options the vyper has.

Experimentation has shown that while gauge mode appears to be setable via software, the functions are disabled in the computer and it defaults to air mode when dived :(
You can set the dive sample times and that change does work however :D
Since this can be done by the "Dive Manager" program, once downloads are enabled, I didn't include that in the program.

Does it void the warrenty? I guess it does, IF you get caught! I'd reset all the changes to the gekko defaults before returning it if it was me. Then again do you think Suunto would check? or would they just swap out the bad parts and send it back?

Enabling Downloads makes no change but to one byte of memory - if you are worried about the warrenty, enable downloads, download the computer, and reset it to normal.
The computer still stores the dive info in any case, So the only thing suunto would find might be a different sample rate.

HMaren
June 14th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Experimentation has shown that while gauge mode appears to be setable via software, the functions are disabled in the computer and it defaults to air mode when dived :(
You can set the dive sample times and that change does work however :D
Since this can be done by the "Dive Manager" program, once downloads are enabled, I didn't include that in the program.

Does it void the warrenty? I guess it does, IF you get caught! I'd reset all the changes to the gekko defaults before returning it if it was me. Then again do you think Suunto would check? or would they just swap out the bad parts and send it back?

Enabling Downloads makes no change but to one byte of memory - if you are worried about the warrenty, enable downloads, download the computer, and reset it to normal.
The computer still stores the dive info in any case. so the only thing suunto would find might be a different sample rate.
Good point. Thanks so much. I had no idea I could download my Gekko as is. And thanks for sharing all the work you've done for of all of us Gekko users.:bravo:

HMaren
June 23rd, 2006, 11:58 PM
My Gekko is in a 3-in-line console.
I borrowed my friend's USB download cable - he has a D9.
The plug is round, the input on the computer is rectangular.
I only see one cable out there for sale.
Am I missing something here?

melle
June 24th, 2006, 03:43 AM
My Gekko is in a 3-in-line console.
I borrowed my friend's USB download cable - he has a D9.
The plug is round, the input on the computer is rectangular.
I only see one cable out there for sale.
Am I missing something here?

Well... the Gekko and the D9 do not share the same interface.
You need to use a Vyper/Vytec cable. These will fit.

Cheers,

Melle

HMaren
June 24th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks. Nobody lists that anywhere. In shopping around, it is presented as being one cable. Suunto doesn't even list the interface on its website, nor in the user manuals for the Vyper or the D9- it just lists SDM.

maractwin
June 24th, 2006, 01:15 PM
It's very hard to find this cable on their website. But they do sell it, and a local dive shop that sells Suunto should be able to get it for you, as well as some mail order places.

Just look for a cable for Vyper, Cobra, or Vytec. They sell both a serial and USB version of this.

-Mark

melle
June 24th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Your welcome.

Well, there is a big difference... on the outside, anyway; not internally. It is a serial protocol.
The shops I go (read: surf) to, in Europe, state the differences. The type of computers that the cable fits into.
I have one for my Stinger, and a different one for my Vytec. About 50, and 80 bucks, respectively.

Greets,

Melle

HMaren
June 25th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I have one for my Stinger, and a different one for my Vytec. About 50, and 80 bucks, respectively.

I just wish Suunto weren't such SOB's about the whole thing. As a Mac user, I'm more than familiar with sometimes pricey, proprietary technology, but Suunto really takes the cake when it comes to this cable. I can't find the USB version for less than $99 in the U.S., which is really quite absurd when you think about what it is. The profit margin on this thing must be huge. This is a nasty bit of profiteering on the part of Suunto, trying to take advantage of a community that they know have disposable income and are willing to shell it out for the gadgets. Car companies engage in a similar practice with regional marketing of options packages, but I digress.

I have found several DIY modules, but it's been far too long since I've done any electronics work, and my area of experience was analog anyway.

I also found a company that makes their own cable for far less, but they claim they don't have a MaccOS driver. They must be using a different chip than Suunto.

So here I am, excited by the prospect of actually downloading my and my wife's Gekkos, but sour at the idea of surrendering to the more nefarious side of capitalism and overpaying for a simple data cable.

Suunto may yet end up with more of my money, but in the meantime, I offer them this- :mooner:

melle
June 25th, 2006, 07:06 AM
I have found several DIY modules, but it's been far too long since I've done any electronics work, and my area of experience was analog anyway.

I also found a company that makes their own cable for far less, but they claim they don't have a MaccOS driver. They must be using a different chip than Suunto.

So here I am, excited by the prospect of actually downloading my and my wife's Gekkos, but sour at the idea of surrendering to the more nefarious side of capitalism and overpaying for a simple data cable.

Suunto may yet end up with more of my money, but in the meantime, I offer them this- :mooner:

I totally agee with you...

Is USB necessary?? Concocting a serial cable is far less troublesome.

Try this site:
http://www.sportextreme.com/pz209x20231yEUR/

They have one for 42.99 Euri :14:
Excellent shop.

Later,

Melle

HMaren
June 27th, 2006, 11:09 AM
After exchanging a few e-mails, the people at http://www.customidea.com/hr-usbdive1.php have discovered a Mac driver for their dowload cable. It's less than 2/3 the cost of the Suunto cable.

I just ordered it. It will take a while before it arrives - coming from England. I will let you all know if it works (they'll refund my money if it doesn't).

CIBDiving
June 29th, 2006, 01:43 AM
I just ordered it. It will take a while before it arrives - coming from England. I will let you all know if it works (they'll refund my money if it doesn't).

It's a good cable! Just be very careful connecting it - The spring loaded pins are rather fagile and will brake if loaded from the side.

HMaren
June 30th, 2006, 08:54 AM
It's a good cable! Just be very careful connecting it - The spring loaded pins are rather fagile and will brake if loaded from the side.

Thanks for the tip!

Do you think there will be an issue with this, as my computer is mounted in a 3-in-line console? There's some space between the console case and the contacts.

CIBDiving
June 30th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the tip!

Do you think there will be an issue with this, as my computer is mounted in a 3-in-line console? There's some space between the console case and the contacts.

It becomes more of an issue when space is present - the pins slip off to the outside and if you try to 'slide' them back on they bend and break. They must be kept verticaly loaded to stay whole,and once bent they need to be replaced. That's not an easy thing for a non PC board tech to try.

HMaren
July 4th, 2006, 02:20 PM
It becomes more of an issue when space is present - the pins slip off to the outside and if you try to 'slide' them back on they bend and break. They must be kept verticaly loaded to stay whole,and once bent they need to be replaced. That's not an easy thing for a non PC board tech to try.

Arrrrrgggggg.
The Custom Idea cable came. Very nice, indeed, except that its design makes it IMPOSSIBLE to connect with the computer mounted in the console! The clip/pins are perpendicular to the cable, making the cable lie on the same plane as the computer. Unfortunately, the clip and pins are not long enough to make the distance between the console's back mount and the pins. :confused:

Having never seen the real Suunto cable up close, I don't even know how they deal with this issue.

I removed the computer from the console and was able to successfully download my data, but it will be a serious pain to have to do this every time I want to download. I will definitely be doing it infrequently as a result, unless....

Do you computer geniuses have a simple, MacGyver-like solution to this problem? Some tin foil and chewing gum answer that will keep me from pulling out my hair? The people at Custom Idea have been really great. I'd hate to have to send the cable back to England.

Any input will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

ShoalDiverSA
July 5th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Can you not perhaps cut away some of the plastic of the console to reduce the depth? I know it is Heath Robinson, but without a photo, it is the best (worst) suggestion I could come up with.

Cheers,

Andrew

EZHOOPS
July 5th, 2006, 01:57 PM
cool, anyone have a diy link to making a pc interface for the cobra?

HMaren
July 5th, 2006, 04:06 PM

http://www.geocities.com/scubadiver_roli/english.html
http://www.carltonbale.com/scuba/suunto/

Good luck!

HMaren
July 23rd, 2006, 10:16 PM

PS- If you decide to DIY, please let us know how it turned out.

Rainer
July 24th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Hey-
I'm having some trouble getting this to work with my Gekko and Suunto USB cable. I downloaded the latest Suunto DM software, added the GtoV program, and then installed the USB driver. I plugged the USB cable into the computer (it is correctly recognized, and placed on COM Port 5), then plugged the other end to the Gekko (should the connectors connect so the bulk of the end crosses the computer back, or so that the bulk hangs to the side?; I've tried both with no success). I then open the DM software. I set the Gekkp to PC Set mode. I select Vyper as my model on the DM software and hit Next. After about 20 seconds it says Device Not Found. Any ideas about what I should try? Thanks.

Rainer
July 24th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Um, nevermind, guess I just had a faulty connection. Works fine now. Thanks!

CIBDiving
July 24th, 2006, 07:18 PM
could be a couple of things - first the cable goes across the back of the computer.

As long as the converter program works ( does not error out ) everything should be fine.

once the DC is connected run the converter with checkbox "To Vyper" selected. then run suunto's DM. The error message you are getting is a bad connection between the interface cable and the dive computer.

dp_miller
July 25th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Hi All

Just having a go at this Gekko downloading and it's not working yet. A lot to troubleshoot but I thought I'd start with the procedure for running the conversion software. Am I correct in saying this is the right order to do things in:

1. Connect cable to COM1
2. Turn on Gekko, change to PC Set mode
3. Attach cable to Gekko
4. Start GtoV softare
5. Select COM1 and hit DO IT..
6. Start SDM and cross fingers

I'm getting a 'The Interface was not detected' on all COM ports and all Com Delays. Windows thinks my COM1 is working fine but I need to get an alternative device to check.

Plus I'm using a home made cable off E-Bay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC-Interface-for-Suunto-Vytec-Cobra-Vyper-Mosquito-D3_W0QQitemZ170011451795QQihZ007QQcategoryZ50882QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)! (he's had very good feedback on other boards)

Any help or tips welcome.

xraymb
July 26th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I made a DIY cable using the instructions here...

http://www.geocities.com/scubadiver_roli/downl_e.html

And it works fine (I am using two wires to connect at the moment while I build it into a case).

CIBDiving
July 27th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Am I correct in saying this is the right order to do things in:

1. Connect cable to COM1
2. Turn on Gekko, change to PC Set mode
3. Attach cable to Gekko
4. Start GtoV softare
5. Select COM1 and hit DO IT..
6. Start SDM and cross fingers

I'm getting a 'The Interface was not detected' on all COM ports and all Com Delays. Windows thinks my COM1 is working fine but I need to get an alternative device to check.

That's about it! The problem is the Suunto software usualy. As long as the GtoV program reports 'Success' Then it made the change and the interface is working.
If not check all connections, the cable to DC connection can be very picky.

One suggestion is to shutdown the GtoV program before running SDM. I can't remember if I close the CommPort after the change is made or at the close of the program :11: I'll check that and make a upgrade if needed!

Also Don't use the 'standard' method of starting the download ( LeftClick on the computer icon). RightClick inside window and select 'connect' from the popup menu.

helsag
July 30th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Hi!
Thank you for the time and effort you put in this program.
I just got a USB cable from http://www.customidea.com/hr-usbdive1.php but can't seem to get GtoV up properly, I only
get a small window with a limited view - please help:confused:
http://www.filehigh.com/files/gae/thumbs/10587_204143_tl.gif (http://www.filehigh.com/viewimg.php?f=22754&i=204143)

SDM 2.3 won't start on my pc either, I get an error that looks like this;http://www.filehigh.com/files/gae/thumbs/10587_204139_tl.gif (http://www.filehigh.com/viewimg.php?f=22754&i=204139)
Any suggestions would be appriciated

Regards Helge

CIBDiving
July 30th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Hi!
Thank you for the time and effort you put in this program.
I just got a USB cable from http://www.customidea.com/hr-usbdive1.php but can't seem to get GtoV up properly, I only
get a small window with a limited view - please help:confused:
SDM 2.3 won't start on my pc either, I get an error that looks like <deleted>
Any suggestions would be appriciated

Regards Helge

To fix G2V, run 'Regedit.exe' ( or it's XP equivalant ) and go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JConn\GekkoDownloader\ FormState
than modify the "Height" and/or "Width" to fit.
The defaults are: Height = 0f8 hex (248 dec), and Width = 130 hex (304 dec).

I can't help you with the SDM, but that error is a missing COM component of the database. I'd suggest dumping/reloading the SDM. Make sure you have the Complete version not the upgrade as well.

helsag
July 31st, 2006, 07:08 PM
Thank you, CIBDiving
Tried this with no success:(
Today I tried with a different pc and it worked like a dream -
at least I know it's working so I guess I have to fix my
Win XP installation...
Looking forward to log those dives:D

rottielover
August 7th, 2006, 05:52 PM
shameless bump :)

I've been using this software now for a few months, LOVE IT! I've been quitely telling people around the LDS about this thread and software... For most of us "new" divers, why spend the extra cash on the "upgraded" computer (just for data download) when you can buy the Gekko, and get your data downloaded?

ArthurGerla
August 27th, 2006, 11:24 AM
@ CIBDiving: Dude, you rule! I bought a Gekko and the CustomIdea USB cable, downloaded the various bits of software and got it all to work on the first try. If you ever visit the Netherlands to dive, I'll gladly pay for your tank fills ;)

DEEPLOU
August 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Too bad about no gauge mode - for use as a bottom timer that's pretty essential if you want to do multiple dives. Other than that what a rocking little computer! :)

If anyone is able to go a little further and get gauge mode working I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.

Just violate it on the first dive, after that it will give you depth time temp and in area where it usually gives NDL time it just says in big letters Er or Err

JAMIE MCG
September 19th, 2006, 05:34 PM
when I run the convert to vyper it tells me
The interface was not detected
whats wrong?
Thanks

CIBDiving
September 19th, 2006, 06:33 PM
when I run the convert to vyper it tells me
The interface was not detected
whats wrong?
Thanks

Not connected properly, WrongComm port selected, Computer not in - "PC SET" mode.

JAMIE MCG
September 19th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I only have two USB ports in front and have tried both, and the computer was in PC SET. It's telling me it "can't open com port" now.

Thanks

CIBDiving
September 19th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I only have two USB ports in front and have tried both, and the computer was in PC SET. I'll keep trying
Thanks

Then the trouble is in the connection, the stock suunto adapter is very picky about the cable to dive computer connection. Clean all contacts with a soft PENCIL eraser and try again; 'wiggleing' the adapter around can help too.

You didn't say what cable you're useing.
PM me and I'll help as much as I can.

ClayJar
September 19th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Does your computer have any old-fashioned serial ports, and if it does, is anything connected to these? I assume also that you have the drivers loaded for the cable (sheesh... "drivers...for the cable"... what's the world coming to?), because if you don't, it obviously won't work. (For XP, it's just next-next-next all the way through, but for some of my computers, I have to load old-fashioned drivers.)

If you don't have the drivers loaded (you should see them in your "Device Manager" or similar listing), it won't work, and if you have something on a conflicting serial port (COM1/3, COM2/4), that can stop it from working, too. (Obviously, if the drivers are loaded, you can see what port it's on.)

JAMIE MCG
September 20th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks CIBDiving and ClayJar, everything is up and running : )

mocca
September 25th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Hi all.

I am thinking about the Gekko and it is great to hear that I would actually be able to download the profiles. But I would like to ask a few questions and given that the pros and the programmers are here, maybe you guys could help me out a bit.

- If I set the refresh intervall from 30sec to say 5secs, how long will the memory last or rather how many dives will it store? I think at default setting of 30sec the Gekko lasts for up to 50 dives, right? Will this be reduced by a factor of 6 if I set it to 5secs?

- Why is it that you altered the software of the Gekko, even if only a minor change to the Gekko. Why not hack the SDM instead? That way there would be absolutely no warranty issues and you wouldn't need to alter anything on the Gekko.

- Do the USB cables also work or only the COMM cables (with or without USB adapters)?

- Will newer Gekko models also be hackable or has Suunto become aware of this and has now taken counter measures?

Hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks a lot,

Alex

ClayJar
September 25th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Answering the part of the question that I can: I have the Suunto USB cable, and it works fine.

mocca
September 25th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Thank you. Hope someone will be able to answer my other questions :)

BTW, I just compared the Gekko and the Vyper and it says, that the Vyper has a "depth-indicator" and the Gekko does not. Sorry, I'm german and do not know what the proper term would be.
However, I saw on the display of the Gekko, that there is a depth in metres shown in the display. So is this information wrong or what does this mean?
The Gekko will show me how deep I currently am, right?

ClayJar
September 25th, 2006, 08:00 AM
That was probably referring to a "gauge mode", where the computer does not calculate NDLs (or O2 exposure, or whatever) and *only* displays depth and dive time. The Gekko doesn't have such a mode.

mocca
September 25th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Ah!
So instead the Gekko always calculates the remaining time etc. and never just acts as a pure gauge?
So not really a disadvantage?

So, how about the tech questions :huh:

CIBDiving
September 25th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Hi all.....

- If I set the refresh intervall from 30sec to say 5secs, how long will the memory last or rather how many dives will it store? I think at default setting of 30sec the Gekko lasts for up to 50 dives, right? Will this be reduced by a factor of 6 if I set it to 5secs?

You can't set it to 5 sec ( well, maybe you can ,I've never tried it), the software won't let you. 10, 20,30 and 60 sec is all that's available. I have a program that will change it to anything but I have never tested what happens with none suunto numbers.

The amount of data the suunto ( gekko,cobra.vyper, vytec) computer wil hold is indeed dependant on how fast the sample rate is, but it is also dependant on how many dives of what duration. a 'DIVE' uses 23 bytes of data + a byte for each sample. For example a dive of 10 minutes @ a sample rate of 10 sec will use 83 bytes of 8078 bytes available so the computer will hold ~100 of those dives. but a 60 minute dive @ a rate of 60 sec will use the same 83 bytes.

Now this changes ( but not by much) with the Vytec, each gas switch adds 2 bytes to the profile. On all the computers pressing a button and making a 'bookmark' adds 1 byte. And each "warning" issued adds 1 byte to the count also.

- Why is it that you altered the software of the Gekko, even if only a minor change to the Gekko. Why not hack the SDM instead? That way there would be absolutely no warranty issues and you wouldn't need to alter anything on the Gekko.

1: You Own the gekko. Suunto has a copyright on the software ( you have only "borrowed" that), it 's illegal to modify the sofware.
2: There are no warranty issues to worry about - change the gekko, do the download, and change it back. Suunto has no way of knowing anything's been done.
3: It's a one byte change that has no advers effect on the gekko - it's a PIA to hack a program, and you can get regresions.

- Do the USB cables also work or only the COMM cables (with or without USB adapters)?

Any cable that will work with a vyper,cobra,vytec will work.

- Will newer Gekko models also be hackable or has Suunto become aware of this and has now taken counter measures?

Suunto has become aware of the hack - I'm told they don't care. It's selling their (very overpriced) cables like hotcakes! I also don't see how they can make any effective change!!!! at least not without me being able to hack that also ;-)

mocca
September 26th, 2006, 07:30 AM
So, would you recommend buying the much cheaper seriell version of the cable or rather the more than twice as expensive usb version?

Is one faster or easier to set up or something of the kind?

CIBDiving
September 26th, 2006, 10:50 AM
So, would you recommend buying the much cheaper seriell version of the cable or rather the more than twice as expensive usb version?

Is one faster or easier to set up or something of the kind?

I ALWAYS recomend the cheaper option, if it works the same or better.

The tranfsfer rate is set by the dive computer and the style of cable has no effect on the speed of the download. One consideration is the availability of a RS232 port on a computer - they are getting rarer and rarer.

ClayJar
September 26th, 2006, 11:15 AM
The difference between the two hideously-priced Suunto cables was only about 15% for me. If someone's charging twice as much for the USB version, they're either being very rude or else trying almost too hard to get rid of that annoying non-USB cable before they have to hang it up as a museum piece. :D

Personally, I bought the USB version. It's easier to share it between my PCs when I don't need to crawl into a dark overhead environment to connect the thing. Desk penetration diving isn't exactly fun, although you can get away without scuba. Sure, I could get a USB-to-serial converter to use with the 9-pin cable, but as I'm not exactly swimming in RS232 devices, it's more convenient to just get the integrated one and not worry about two pieces.

mocca
September 26th, 2006, 11:26 AM
usb is 45€ and seriell is 20€ (suunto is more than twice the usb price of the "fake"). both guaranteed to work and from the no.1 supplier for these cables in germany as far as i know

CIBDiving
September 26th, 2006, 01:09 PM
usb is 45€ and seriell is 20€ (suunto is more than twice the usb price of the "fake"). both guaranteed to work and from the no.1 supplier for these cables in germany as far as i know

What's that in Real money? ( USD ) :D
try here http://www.customidea.com/hr-usbdive1.php

They've been out of stock recently - but there's a greedy bast@rd on ebay selling the same thing for ~10 pound more, I think he bought out the entire stock!

mocca
September 28th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Well, my cable just arrived and I am using a USB-Seriell Adapter.
But I keep getting "Interface not found" in the "Vyper2Gekko incl. dll" program.

Do I need to adjust certain settings?

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/600/com11wt7.jpg

The program shows me COM11 in the drop down menu but as soon as I click on it it says "Interface not found".
If I select COM3, which is in fact not in use at all it starts searching before telling me interface not found.

On the COM11 I get it right away.

I now also tried starting the SDM and letting it just look for the Gekko (unpatched).
It also recognizes the COM11 via the serial adapter and the little LED on my cable actually lights up!
It does not light up however when using the Gekko2Vyper tool. I guess the tool isn't adressing the USB-seriell adapter correctly or rather not adressing it at all.

Any suggestions?

Using this cable http://www.smartinterface.de/artikel.php?id=4&kat=1

And tried using this http://www.tinxi.de/product_info.php?products_id=317

CIBDiving
September 28th, 2006, 01:48 PM
So, does the Suunto program try to do the download and then error out or does it just 'search'?? I need to check but the problem is likely in the comport component of gekko2vyper, it doesn't like com ports greater than 9 IIRC. The easiest way to fix it is to go into Hardware Manager -> Ports Com/LPT -> " select port" -> Properties -> Advanced
Then change the com number to a number less than 10.
Double check ALL conections.

mocca
September 28th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Let's see.
Well, I will try the COM port again later and set it to a lower number.

But I also tried using my old port replicator ( http://www.targus.com/us/CategorySearch.asp?SearchedTerms=pa090&Action=Go ) which is automatically set as COM 4 and it opened the port but couldn't find the interface.
Didn't make the cable LED blink either.

So I am guessing that your program somehow doesn't accept "fake COM" ports. I do not know why, but the SDM seems to have no issues with either USB-seriell devices but Gekko2Vyper hates em both.

Has anybody actually ever managed to get the Gekko2Vyper working with a usb-seriell adapter? The first few pages of this thread seem to indicate that you have to do the hack with a real COM port (at least the first time). So might there be something wrong with the hack itself?

If you have some kind of test program you would like me to run on my adapter in order for you to check the values/replies of the adapter, then just let me know.

The contacts all seem fine and I have fiddled around a bit with it.

So it's definitely the interaction of Gekko2Vyper and the usb-seriell adapters.

EDIT: OK, just tried it again. Gekko set to PC SET and entered of course.
Then opened the SDM and let it look for the device. LED light up. Of course nothing was found as it is still a Gekko.
Kept SDM running and staid in the setup wizard and then opened Gekko2Vyper additionally. Now the Gekko2Vyper managed to make my interface cable's LED light up. Did NOT show the Couldn't Open COM port nonsense. But did not find the interface either :(

So one step forward, but not quite there yet.
The SDM seems to open the COM for the Gekko2Vyper program (which seems to not work properly with adapters) but the Gekko2Vyper then still cannot find the interface itself.

CIBDiving
September 28th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Let's see.
Well, I will try the COM port again later and set it to a lower number.

But I also tried using my old port replicator ( http://www.targus.com/us/CategorySearch.asp?SearchedTerms=pa090&Action=Go ) which is automatically set as COM 4 and it opened the port but couldn't find the interface.
Didn't make the cable LED blink either.

So I am guessing that your program somehow doesn't accept "fake COM" ports. I do not know why, but the SDM seems to have no issues with either USB-seriell devices but Gekko2Vyper hates em both.

Has anybody actually ever managed to get the Gekko2Vyper working with a usb-seriell adapter? The first few pages of this thread seem to indicate that you have to do the hack with a real COM port (at least the first time). So might there be something wrong with the hack itself?

If you have some kind of test program you would like me to run on my adapter in order for you to check the values/replies of the adapter, then just let me know.

The contacts all seem fine and I have fiddled around a bit with it.

So it's definitely the interaction of Gekko2Vyper and the usb-seriell adapters.

So far You're the only person out of a lot to have an adapter problem, I'm sceptical, but serial to usb adapters have more problems than other methods so it may well be.

set the Dive computer in "PC- SET" and run both the Suunto DM and the Gekko2vyper, as it searches for the interface you should see 'arrows' blink on the dive computer screen just over the two buttons if they don't blink then the problem is the connection.

mocca
September 28th, 2006, 02:29 PM
ok, dont' know whether you saw what i added to my post while you were writing.

anyhow, i checked and nothing lights up on the dc when i run the gekko2vyper. BUT the arrow above the left button (PLAN) lights up once (!) when I let the SDM look for it.

So I guess that means the connection is ok? Or would both arrows light up the whole time when a Gekko is connected which has not been hacked and is hence not being found by the SDM?

CIBDiving
September 28th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I'd get rid of the USB - rs232 adapter for now and try to get things up and running with the Minimum of complexity.
The Suunto program Should issue an Error - "Invalid computer type for this action(104)".
Don't use the 'standard' method of starting a download ( clicking the computer icon ) either,
instead right click in the "Dive Computer" window select "connect' -> Vyper and that will open the old style "Transfer" window.

mocca
September 28th, 2006, 05:50 PM
easier said than done :(

notebooks don't have serial ports anymore.

so i will need to find someone 20th century enoguh to actually still own a desktop computer. people nowadays only have notebooks :)

CIBDiving
September 28th, 2006, 06:00 PM
easier said than done :(

notebooks don't have serial ports anymore.

so i will need to find someone 20th century enoguh to actually still own a desktop computer. people nowadays only have notebooks :)

So you bought a RS232 Cable and neither your system nor anybody you know Owns a box with a RS232 port? Does the term "stupid cheap" have any meaning for you? :shakehead

mocca
October 5th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Well, OK, I do know some with RS232 but the problem with those is, that I can only log in as a Guest or limited access user.
Hence I cannot install the Gekko2Vyper. My father has a desktop PC with rs232 but that's quite a drive.

Is it possible to somehow use Gekko2Vyper on a computer where I am only logged in as a guest? I have access to university computers but cannot access or rather write to the Windows folder.

I know it works with the SDM, hence I only seem to need to crack the Gekko and then the usb adapter should do fine but until then I need to get it cracked on a rs232 pc.

sorry about the nuiscance!

CIBDiving
October 5th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Here is a no install version:

http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/Other%20Free%20Stuff/Gekko2vyperNoInstall.zip

mocca
October 18th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Hi CIBDiving!
Is it just me or are all the downloads fromyour Site gone? Just wanted to redo the Gekko2Vyper magic and couldn't download :(

eurotin
October 20th, 2006, 10:37 AM
i recently purchased a gecko also and would love to get a copy of that software.. the link doesn't seem to be working..

besides your program and a connection cable.. will i need anythign else (suunto software)

thanks

mocca
October 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM
You need the Gekko2Vyper and I would recommend the Project1 also (both of which I'd love to download again too :) ).

Other than that you need the cable, the Suunto Dive Manager (free from their website) and a Gekko :)

That's it.

divinglog
October 20th, 2006, 12:57 PM
If you need the files I can send them to you. But I'm also curious why they aren't anymore on the website.

JeffG
October 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM
If you need the files I can send them to you. But I'm also curious why they aren't anymore on the website.
Well, his title is now NA, so he has been given a "vacation" from SB. So maybe he took his "toys" away.

eurotin
October 20th, 2006, 01:23 PM

that would be great if you were able to send them to me.

do you have both including the project1?

thanks,

PM me and i will send you my email.

jk17
October 28th, 2006, 06:36 PM
He has a message at http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/Index.htm, then click on Free Stuff, that he took everything down.

ArthurGerla
October 29th, 2006, 09:41 AM
.. and a pretty inflammatory one too, blaming this board. Would someone care to explain SB's view?

helsag
October 30th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Anyone downloaded Project1 and Suunto Eraser and
wishes to send it to a fellow diver?
I'll send good karma back:)

Edit; Got it now. Thanks everyone!

melle
October 30th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I've got the stuff... let me see if I can grab it.
My laptop just crashed (not the disk, mind you <pfew>, the motherboard probably). I know for sure that it is on that disk somewhere.. but maybe I can find sth on this pc.

Rainer
October 30th, 2006, 05:50 PM
He has a message at http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/Index.htm, then click on Free Stuff, that he took everything down.

Yeah any comment would be great. I downloaded the program a few months ago, and it was the main reason I got a Gekko at the time (probably one of the most useful things I've taken away from my time on SB). If it can be worked out to have CIBDiving reupload the files, I'm quite in favor.

JeffG
October 30th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Man is that funny.

Firefyter
October 30th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Man is that funny.

He makes some pretty inflammatory statements, but as soon as his vacation is lifted, he's back on the board.....wonder if he's really expecting that kiss :mooner: :10: ...LOL

JeffG
October 30th, 2006, 09:37 PM
He makes some pretty inflammatory statements, but as soon as his vacation is lifted, he's back on the board.....wonder if he's really expecting that kiss :mooner: :10: ...LOL
Well, he did send me a PM after my post. So I think he is waiting for it ;)

CIBDiving
November 1st, 2006, 09:03 PM
The files are back up, at least most of them. I'm working on upgrades of the API and 'Project1'.
When completed 'Project1' will be renamed 'Suunto Communicator'.

http://LiquidImagePhoto.com click "Free Stuff".

CMAN
November 2nd, 2006, 01:32 AM
Glad to see ya back CIBDiving, as I said before "You are the MAN".

Rainer
November 2nd, 2006, 01:52 AM
Also glad to see them back up. They are an extremely good resource for all Gekko owners.

jk17
November 9th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I tried running the Suunto XML Downloader with my Gekko turned Vyper. I get a window that says downloading data but hangs at 2%. Any ideas?

John

CIBDiving
November 9th, 2006, 11:55 PM
I tried running the Suunto XML Downloader with my Gekko turned Vyper. I get a window that says downloading data but hangs at 2%. Any ideas?

John

Please redownload the program. I have a working version up now.

A bug had crept into the code somewhere. I've been updating to a more modern compiler and the conversion requires a restructuring of the code. Not sure Why the bug - Yet.

FYI - you don't need your gekko to be a vyper for that program to work, it downloads from a gekko just fine.

jk17
November 10th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Still no go.

CIBDiving
November 10th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Still no go.

You beat me to it!!! It's up now.

jk17
November 10th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Downloader works now.

Thanks.

CIBDiving
November 10th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, The XML Downloader is a direct replacment for the one supplied with the new 'SharkPoint' v2 divelogging software.

jk17
November 13th, 2006, 09:41 PM
In the XML download there is a CNSCLOCK which has values such as 1, 3, 4, 5,6. What is this?

Also, are you doing any manipulation of the data values. I have the Gekko set for imperical values. Temperatures are coming out in celsius but depths are in feet.

Do you know if the Suunto Dive Manager is running some sort of model to get the PO2, tissue saturations and OLF% or are these stored? I see in the download a FO2.

Thanks.

CIBDiving
November 13th, 2006, 10:53 PM
In the XML download there are two items I am not sure of. One is CNSCLOCK and the other is FO2. CNSCLOCK has values such as 1, 3, 4, 5,6. FO2 has 0, 9, 26 , 42.

Also, are you doing any manipulation of the data values. I have the Gekko set for imperical values. Temperatures are coming out in celsius but depths are in feet.

Do you know if the Suunto Dive Manager is running some sort of model to get the PO2 and tissue saturations or are these stored?

Thanks.

The DiveManager does indeed model the tissue compartments based on the data downloaded in the profile. There is (AFAIK) no way to get the tissue loadings out of the computer.
Likewise, I haven't found a way to set/retreive the Gas Mix values. They are stored in the DC but not available externaly. This May change, an 'unknown' command seems to have an effect on these. Only each Dive Profile contains the gasMix used at the start of dive, and in the case of vytec it uses a tag to mark the mixchange,

Setting the computer to metric or imperial seems to have NO effect on what the stored format of the data is. Depth is stored in 1/128s of a foot ( ft * 128) , temps in Celcius, pressure in 1/2 of a Bar ( p *2 ). The Downloader cleans those up to whole numbers ( ft, deg C, Bars) but makes no conversions.
The recomended conversions:

meter = (int)(feet * 0.3048 * 10) / 10
psi = bar * 14.50377377
fahrenheit = celcius * 1.8 + 32

FO2 is misnamed! It should be PPO2Alarm. Exactly what it's function was was unclear at the original release and for backwards compatibility reasons, I doubt I change it.
FO2: 0=1.2, 1=1.3, 2=1.4, 3=1.5, 4=1.6
It is the value set in the PPO2max Alarm for that dive. It has, as far as I can tell, No real use, as No PPO2 alarm is written to the profile. You could likely use it to calulate that violation however.

CNSCLOCK is valid only in Nitrox mode, in any other mode it should be 0.
It is also misnamed - it is normaly the "Oxygen Limit Fraction"
with Nitrox: 1/2 OLF % or the max value is 50 for a 100% limit.
However, if the value is greater than 128, then the value is OTUs - 128 instead of OLF!! I believe the Suunto manual gives corralations between the two.

Also not included in the downloader is support for the 'freedive' functions in some of the DCs.

jk17
November 14th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the info. I have FO2 of 9, 26 and 42. How can that be? You stated the value shoud be 0 - 4 which translates into the PO2, which makes sense.

CIBDiving
November 14th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the info. I have FO2 of 9, 26 and 42. How can that be? You stated the value shoud be 0 - 4 which translates into the PO2, which makes sense.

Well, I could have screwed up and reveresed a value or 2, you know "tihs sneppah" . This program was originaly written for 'Sharkpoint', and as they had trouble integrating it into their software, it recieved minimal testing. Also, AFAIK nobody who is useing this program uses that data to build their logs, this particular problem it has slipped past QC - no feed back about a problem.
But I'm begining to think the exact order is different in the Gekko! I noticed a 'reversal' of a couple values when writing the program. I only have one computer, a Vyper, to sample from. Sometimes I borrow a Gekko from my LDS, for short periods.

I'd suggest a download into Suunto's DM and see if it reports OLF of 9,26,42 ( or more like 18,52,84). Please let me know.

jk17
November 14th, 2006, 10:23 PM
The OLF and PO2 change depending on where you click on the dive graph. The only reason I was trying to use this data is because I had written my own dive log in MS Access. That meant typing in all the info from the DC. If I could import it, it would make life easier. The SDM looks like it has an Access file called d9.mdb but it is password protected. The export from SDM doesn't give you any options as to the type of file to create.

I found some other notes on the Web but they are for the Vyper and Cobra. It mentions in the format of the dive at offset 0 - 00, with Nitrox: OLF % * 2 ($32 * 2 = 100 CNS), if bit 7 is set: OTU instead of CNS.

Oh well. Now I'm just throwing out random information.

CIBDiving
November 14th, 2006, 11:13 PM
The OLF and PO2 change depending on where you click on the dive graph. The only reason I was trying to use this data is because I had written my own dive log in MS Access. That meant typing in all the info from the DC. If I could import it, it would make life easier. The SDM looks like it has an Access file called d9.mdb but it is password protected. The export from SDM doesn't give you any options as to the type of file to create.

The OLF and PPO2 are being calculated from the depth time data. The OLF output in the profile is the Start of dive/ End of surface interval value.

The data you site is valid - $32 is hexadecimal ( base 16) notation for the number 50.
seach this forum for the password for the D9.mdb database - it's something like 'kiros'. Somebody else has cracked that.

See http://www.sarnau.info/papers:suunto_vyper for more info on memory layout. My work is based on this work done by Mark Fritze. He has recently updated his site,added new info, and cleaned up an error or 2.

jk17
November 15th, 2006, 09:22 PM
That is the layout I saw. Now that I can get into the database I can just download into it and put my own front end on it.

I appreciate all of your help.

mocca
November 19th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Suunto Communicator is not downloadable anymore :(

By the way, would someone mind sending me his working drivers for the USB-RS232 adapter? I'd like to try a different driver. I suspect that the driver isn't sending all the protocols or not controlling the power consumption properly.

CIBDiving
November 19th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Suunto Communicator is not downloadable anymore :(

That program is being rewritten, I'm updating it from the primitive 'test' program it was to a more user freindly version. Unfortuanatly, it's on a back burner, I'm tring to get a 'D model' version of the downloader going. It'll be nessesary in the spring - I'm fairly certain the new vyper/cobra comps will use the newer memory model.

If you mean the SuuntoAPI.dll file, it's available in the other downloads. Both 'Gekko2vyper' and 'Eraser' install the latest version of the DLL. But it won't work with earlier versions of any of the programs as it has also been redesigned. In case you're wondering why - it was changed to use Unicode for extended programming language compatibility.

I do have a copy of the Old Dll - PM me.

bunny.hu
November 22nd, 2006, 05:10 AM
CIBDiving: gratulate for Your program! Please tell me what's wrong with me, 'cause it is not working with my chick's GEKKO. I have a DIY interface, that is communicate on USB port (usually a Roli's interface and an USB serial interface built to one mobo). You can check it on my personal Suunto Vyper website:
http://vyper.bunny.hu/eng/roli_usb/index.html

The interface is working very well with my Vyper, and the SDM 1.6 that I use is detect the interface. Actually when I try to download the gekko, the SDM detect and tell me that is a wrong computer, so it is indetified the gekko. So I can tell You, the interface is working very well. But Your program is every time tell me, the interface is NOT detected, I select the correct COM port (actually the com4), and try to set the delay but nothing. I connect the gekko before push button, and set to PC SET mode. Your program version is: 2.0.0.6, Windows XP SP2

Thanks for the help!

CIBDiving
November 23rd, 2006, 12:07 AM
CIBDiving: gratulate for Your program! .... I have a DIY interface, that is communicate on USB port (usually a Roli's interface and an USB serial interface built to one mobo). .... Thanks for the help!

I just finished a portion of the new version of the DLL. It should work better with thirdparty interfaces. Your's is not the first 'homemade' to have problems, USB/RS232 adapters should have more luck also.

At least I'd appreciate some testing, please.

Look for the new Gekko2vyper download on the Liquidimagephoto.com site.
The Eraser program has just been updated too.

Anyone with a D model want to do a little testing of the new downloader??? PM me if so. Thanks

bunny.hu
November 24th, 2006, 04:59 AM
I just finished a portion of the new version of the DLL. It should work better with thirdparty interfaces. Your's is not the first 'homemade' to have problems, USB/RS232 adapters should have more luck also.

At least I'd appreciate some testing, please.

I'll try it at this weekend and report You monday. Thanx for your job!

Anyway, You know, many link is not working on that page?
Suunto communicator, suunto API?

bunny.hu
November 24th, 2006, 05:04 AM
offtopic: Did You saw Your number of posts? 666 :coffin:

CIBDiving
November 24th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Anyway, You know, many link is not working on that page?
Suunto communicator, suunto API?

offtopic: Did You saw Your number of posts? 666 :coffin:

I didn't see the number, but it seems fitting :devil:

Yes, I know the files are missing, they will be back up after I'm done with an upgrade. The API is waiting on more D model support, And I'll likely hold off on it until i see the New models this spring. I have a guess that they will use the same memory model as the D9/6 do. Communicator was very 'chunky' to use and hard to fix a mistake with - I should never have let that lab rat escape!

pakman
November 25th, 2006, 05:22 AM
CIBDiving, thanks for posting the updated download. Been having heck of time with downloading data since a Sept trip where I think the data got corrupted on my Vytec I keep geting an overflow error everytime I try to download. Just tried your udpated downloader and it comfirms that the data before Sept 4 on my Vytec has either been corrupted or zapped somehow. But at least your program allowed me to download from Sept 4 to the most recent data!

The problem now is I can't seem to find a way to reset the Vytec/ flush the memory to start from scratch and I loath thinking of sending off to Finland... Will the DCEraser work for the Vytec? What's the command line? if my Vytec is connected to say Serial port #7 then should I run cmd "dceraser.exe - port="COM7" " ?

many thanks!

edit: oops, took a closer look at the XML output. Can make sense of most of the data but can't seem to figure where the depth field is. is that the Diveprofile "Datum" field. Got some odd numbers there which I can't make sense of.

example:

edit 2: oops, I guess these are depth changes per interval in feet... makes sense... :11doh:

CIBDiving
November 25th, 2006, 11:32 AM
The problem now is I can't seem to find a way to reset the Vytec/ flush the memory to start from scratch and I loath thinking of sending off to Finland... Will the DCEraser work for the Vytec? What's the command line? if my Vytec is connected to say Serial port #7 then should I run cmd "dceraser.exe - port="COM7" " ?

many thanks!

edit: oops, took a closer look at the XML output. Can make sense of most of the data but can't seem to figure where the depth field is. is that the Diveprofile "Datum" field. Got some odd numbers there which I can't make sense of.
12,9,7,9,1,1,-2,0 ......

You're welcome, glad it helped.
DCEraser is a windows program and should run from the 'start' menu ( or desktop) not the command line. It is packaged in a 'Wise for windows' selfinstalling executable and will be shown in the start menu under 'JCONN'. Once the program is running select the proper comm port from the list box, it automaticly updates itself for all available ports. Click the 'Do It' button and that's it.The program will report status upon completion. It has never been tested on a Vytec, but I've tested it on the gekko and vyper. I'm about 99% sure it'll work fine as they use identical memory models.

The Datum tag in the downloaders output is the dive profile. Each "Datum" tag is the info written at a single sample, On the gekko/cobra,vyper,vytec this is a single number, it can be more. There are also "Event" tags in the profile, they are the 'bookmarks' listed in the manual. The computer doesn't actualy store the depth in the profile, data is written from start of dive as a 'Delta' of the depth from the last sample.

If we use these numbers as Datum points 12,9,7,9,1,1,0,0,-5,-5,-4,0,0... and assume you used a 30 sec sample rate then it reads : from the surface, in the first 30 sec you went down 12 ft, the next 30 sec you dropped 9ft more, then down 7ft, ect. A negative number means you came up that many feet. In the above sample,You went down to 39 ft over a 3 minute period, stayed there one minute then came up to 25 ft over a 1 1/2 min period and stayed there for 1 minute.

pakman
November 25th, 2006, 11:40 AM
CIBDiving, thanks for the explaination... makes sense now ;)

Well I'm gonna make one last desperate attempt to uninstall SDM 2.3, try an older version to see if I can still get to all the data in my vytec (pre Sept 4 06). If not, then I'm gonna install DCEraser and zap it clean and hope it'll behave thereafter... :D

Last question- "divedata starting pressure"... I see 99 for example. I presume that's half a bar (i.e. x2 to get reading in full bars), correct? and divedata ending pressure half bar reading as well?

CIBDiving
November 25th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Well I'm gonna make one last desperate attempt to uninstall SDM 2.3, try an older version to see if I can still get to all the data in my vytec (pre Sept 4 06). If not, then I'm gonna install DCEraser and zap it clean and hope it'll behave thereafter... :D

Last question- "divedata starting pressure"... I see 99 for example. I presume that's half a bar (i.e. x2 to get reading in full bars), correct? and divedata ending pressure half bar reading as well?

Be sure to back up the D9.mdb database before you uninstall SDN 2.x.!

You are correct sir! Pressure readings are in 1/2 bars. It could be worse - in the computer itself depths are actualy stored as 1/128 ft :shakehead I fix those before they get outside though.

Good Luck.

Flatliner
November 25th, 2006, 03:36 PM
CIB,

Thanks SO MUCH for your help pointing me to the eraser for my used Cobra. It worked like a charm!

Robert

pakman
November 26th, 2006, 09:03 AM
CIB,

thanks again for all your help. Well, oddly I was finally able to download what was left of my dives from my Vytec... but I still suspect the data got corrupted in the computer so I've gone ahead and zapped the memory with your DCerase program :D

jb2cool
November 26th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Has anyone had a "Transmitted data was corrupt (101)" error in Suunto Dive Manager 2.3?

I can set my Gekko into Vyper mode with the Gekko2Vyper tool and that seems to work fine but in SDM 2.3 when i 'connect' and initiate a transfer it'll error out after 5 seconds or so with this error. I know the connection itself is working as i can reset max depth and things like that from SDM. I cannot seem to download dives though.

Any ideas?

The DC shows up as version 10.0.0, my SDM is 2.3.0.136 and i'm using a CustomIdeas USB cable (That i know works) if that makes a difference.

CIBDiving
November 26th, 2006, 06:21 PM
How are you initiating the download? Are you using the "left click on the 'computer' icon", or the "(right click in window)->Connect->Vyper method" I'm not sure it'll matter but try both. I do have a tool that'll dump all the memory, but it's not ready for release yet. You would have to do all the reconstruction by hand, in hexadecimal.

One thing you can try is to get a copy of ver 1.x ( i think 1.6 is the newest) of the SDM and give it a try - another person on this board had some luck with that method. Import the 1.x file into 2.3 and than use the DCEraser program to reset the gekko's memory back to factory new.

jb2cool
November 26th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Tried both methods of connecting. The right click and connect option just gives me the 'Corrupt' message where as the left click option actually talks to the computer and lists serial number and whatnot but cannot find any dives to download.

Tried SDM v1.6 but that does not seem to get any further than v2.3

I think i might try clearing everything on the DC with your program and starting from scratch.

**EDIT**
Ok, after erasing the memory i don't get any more errors and it seems to work properly (In both versions of SDM and connecting both ways) but i can't verify this as i have no dives to download. I'll try and 'fake' some dives in a swimming pool of something so i can be sure.

I'll report back.

bunny.hu
November 27th, 2006, 04:04 AM
CIBDiving: Your last version of the gekko2vyper is working very well! Thanks!
If You refresh your other programs, please tell as here, we waiting for it.

Enjoy Your tank!

jb2cool
November 27th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Just reporting back to confirm that after a memory flush with SuuntoEraser, my Gekko is now fully downloadable in SDM 2.3 (Both ways of connecting) and SDM 1.6.

Good job CIBDiving, your Gekko2Vyper and Suunto Eraser seem to be working perfectly for me.

bunny.hu
December 1st, 2006, 05:48 AM
Why not accessible Your program, again?

ShoalDiverSA
December 1st, 2006, 03:05 PM
Why not accessible Your program, again?

The last time I saw CIB around these parts, he was partaking in a rather heated exchange concerning BP/W manufacturers. Those posts are MIA now. Maybe he's gone on holiday again...

Though all the content on his site seems broken, so maybe not.

Nothing like speculation, eh?

Cheers,

Andrew

ClayJar
December 1st, 2006, 03:08 PM
Is it just me, or is everything (except the aforementioned items removed pending major updates) right there as always?

http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/Other%20Free%20Stuff/

Flatliner
December 2nd, 2006, 04:49 PM
His site seems to be working fine to me at this point. http://LiquidImagePhoto.com

What's wrong with a lively debate anyway?

ShoalDiverSA
December 2nd, 2006, 05:09 PM
Yup, looks like everything is back up. The linking pages were missing yesterday.

Good.

Cheers,

Andrew

Xylemane
December 19th, 2006, 09:52 AM
I'm starting to feel like an idiot and was hoping for sme help. I am using a Gekko purchased in October and Suunto's USB download cable.

I start Gekko2Vyper
Connect Computer to download cable
Set computer to PC SET
Click "Do It"
and I get "The Interface was not detected"

After I click the "Do It" my Gekko starts to have the triangles flash above the plan and time buttons so it seems to be communicating in some fashion. I believe I'm using the correct comm port as my only other option is 1 and get no response from the Gekko when I use it.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

John

ArcticDiver
December 19th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I'm starting to feel like an idiot and was hoping for sme help. I am using a Gekko purchased in October and Suunto's USB download cable.

I start Gekko2Vyper
Connect Computer to download cable
Set computer to PC SET
Click "Do It"
and I get "The Interface was not detected"

After I click the "Do It" my Gekko starts to have the triangles flash above the plan and time buttons so it seems to be communicating in some fashion. I believe I'm using the correct comm port as my only other option is 1 and get no response from the Gekko when I use it.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

John

The owner of LiquidImagePhoto asked me to post this for your benefit:

" Your Email to LiquidImagePhoto.com was received but they can't answer you, as
your email address is apparently invalid and all the mail is returned as undeliverable.
If you can correct this problem, please respond to mail@Liquidimagephoto.com for further help."

Cheeky Wee Budgie Boy
December 22nd, 2006, 05:20 PM
some previous users reported the usb connection did not work, but the serial cable did. try using the Sunnto software to confirm which comm port is the correct one. if the comm port is correct you may need to try using the serial cable (and another pc if yours does not have a serial port).

If you get it working let me know if gauge mode apears. It seems some people get this function. I did not. in fact apart from connectivity to the pc I have absolutely no additional functionality. (so my Gekko is still a Gekko)

jb2cool
December 26th, 2006, 05:49 AM
All programs up again in their own little section.

http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/Suunto.htm

Flatliner
December 27th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Hi all, I may have missed this on one of the previous pages, if I did, I am sorry. Are there plans or diagrams out there to make a USB ADAPTER if I already have a serial cable?

jb2cool
January 1st, 2007, 02:42 PM
USB --> Serial adaptors are cheaply available from online shops for about $10 but you don't really ever need these unless your PC does not have a serial port.

FrenchScubaDoc
January 28th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Hi,
Do you know if Gekko2vyper is now avaible for USB port ?
Thank's

jb2cool
January 28th, 2007, 05:56 PM
It sure is. Third one down on this page.

http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/Suunto.htm

the warden
February 26th, 2007, 01:55 PM
The link for gekko download no longer works, anyone know why or where else this download is available?

rottielover
February 26th, 2007, 03:53 PM
"A Program to set parameters on a Suunto Dive Computer by software."

I was going to use this program to more easily setup my computers adjustments, I was just wondering what some of the fields were for?

Byte $2A , Byte $2B, Byte $60

Otherwise looks awsome! I'm going to try it out tonight when I get home!

jb2cool
February 26th, 2007, 06:20 PM
There is a copy of it located here http://jb2cool.bulldoghome.com/pages/jb2cool_bulldoghome_com/files/gekko2vyper.zip

ianw2
March 29th, 2007, 09:34 PM
A friend got hoodwinked into buying a Gekko rather than a different computer. Itís been in the water for over 8 months and has about 30 dives on it Ė no can take back!

I have a Vytec (and the download cable and software).

I downloaded the Gekko2vyper patch, but cannot get the bloody thing to run. The app responds with an error message: Canít load SuuntoAPI.dll / Terminating program.

Can anyone give me a clue as to how to get this patch to run and what version of Suunto Dive Manager it needs to work?

Thanks in advance!

Ian Wilson

melle
March 30th, 2007, 03:28 AM
A friend got hoodwinked into buying a Gekko rather than a different computer. It’s been in the water for over 8 months and has about 30 dives on it – no can take back!

I have a Vytec (and the download cable and software).

I downloaded the Gekko2vyper patch, but cannot get the bloody thing to run. The app responds with an error message: Can’t load SuuntoAPI.dll / Terminating program.

Can anyone give me a clue as to how to get this patch to run and what version of Suunto Dive Manager it needs to work?

Thanks in advance!

Ian Wilson

Hi Ian,

I installed the software. And it missed a CC3260.DLL too, prior to complaining about the Suunto dll.
I installed the CC3260 dll, which is a Borland C++ Builder run-time library. PM me if you don't have that file.
Then it loads the SuuntoAPI.DLL and complains it misses a procedure. It seems to be outdated.

One of two things are happening here:
1) the package contains an old version of the Suunto DLL, or
2) It is possible I already had that DLL, and so the install package does not include the DLL at all. This is *very* possible.

Why is this most likely, well, the package dos not contain the Borland DLL as well, which should be included when building the package in the IDE. Possibly some deployment options are forgotten (non-static build, thus requiring dll's).

What to do? Contact the creator of the package, and tell him that the DLL's are not there. He can be found at http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/

Regards,

Melle :coffee:

ianw2
March 30th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Hey, mello!

Thanks for your help.

I found another link to liquid's site an DL'd a couple of other apps. The G2V app looks like it's working now. I'm waiting for JOhn to bring over his Gekko to give it a try.

Thanks!

Ian

volyblmn
May 11th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do if the Gekko2Vyper program only tells me "interface not detected" ??? The activity light on my USB cable blinks when I try to connect with Suunto's dive manager but nothing happens when I run CIB's home-built program... Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Rainer
May 11th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Did you put the Gekko into PC mode?

volyblmn
May 11th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Did you put the Gekko into PC mode?
Awesome -- I guess if I read through all 19 pages I might've found that info. Or if I just RTFM that Suunto gave me... I didn't think Suunto would've had any info about PC connectivity in the manual. In any case -- thanks!

Rainer
May 11th, 2007, 10:51 PM
No worries, glad to help!

ianw2
May 12th, 2007, 10:50 AM
One of my regular dive buddies has a Gekko. We just did the conversion on it. Now it thinks it's a Vyper (Lite).

I saw "Lite" because the Gekko has no gas pressure sensor on board so it can't collect gas pressure during the dive.

For those who have copnverted the Gekko to the Vyper Lite, remember to mark down the start and pressures on your tanks to be able to calc things like SAC.

Question: Since we are changing an internal flag in the Suunbto software on board the computer, this should be easily detectable by repair personnel if the computer has to go in for service. Is there a "reversal" routine to reset the flag back to look like a Gekko - software-wise - when returning the computer for service?

Clearly, the case could be made that if the flag is set in the Gekko, then you've buggerd around with it, hence Warantee VOID... Nothing is "borken", but it's definitely and measureable changed.

Ian

Rainer
May 12th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Um, you've confused the Vyper (also no pressure sensor) and the Cobra (air-integrated). Try actually reading this thread for answers to your questions (all raised and addressed).

ianw2
May 12th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Rainer...

Perhaps you've confused scanning with reading.

The point of the thread is that the internal flag in the Gekko is reset to allow it to download to a PC. That reset flag is easily discernable to any dive shop looking at the Gekko for repairs or service. Since the computer has been altered, the case could be made that the warantee is void.

The question, had you understood what you were reading was asking if there is a way to "un"-set the flag that the patch sets.

Next time, be a little more courteous when you post. Manner, my friend, manners.

Ian

Rainer
May 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Now I know you can't read. Check post 107.

ianw2
May 12th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Now I know you have no manners.

Rainer
May 12th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Hey, if you're too lazy to read through a thread before posting, well...

Mtik
May 24th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Anyone have the final word on "Guage" mode?

Yes, I've read the entire 20 pages ;) If I missed it, please feel free to flame me.

Rainer
May 24th, 2007, 11:19 AM
AFAIK, even with the hack, no gauge mode for the Gekko, short of bending it. If you need a gauge, look at the Vyper. Otherwise, stick with the cheaper Gekko.

phantom_diver
July 19th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Dude, that is awesome!

Which COM port is your usb-serial cable on? Mine is COM4 but the SDM only seems to know about COM1 so it doesn't find the USB-serial port. I guess this is really a PC related question but I hope you might be able to help me out.

guggie
July 29th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I've just read through almost all the posts and still have a question, as I wait for my new Gekko to arrive.

Can selected dives be erased out of the memory on the Gekko, or just all of them at once?

Rainer
July 30th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I've just read through almost all the posts and still have a question, as I wait for my new Gekko to arrive.

Can selected dives be erased out of the memory on the Gekko, or just all of them at once?

I don't believe dives can be erased. Old dives just get bumped out.

Chimp
August 1st, 2007, 06:46 PM
Hi All,

New to the forum, cracked the download bit for the gekko - CHEERS!!!

Has anybody found that when a dive is downloaded into SDM the simulated computer screen shows that you have a deco obligation and the tissue saturation graph shows over 100% in some segments - even though the gekko didn't show any of this during the dive - only required a 3 minute safety stop??

Cheers again.

Paul.

bdshort
August 13th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Is there a new link for the software? The link in the original post doesn't work anymore.

guggie
August 13th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Is there a new link for the software? The link in the original post doesn't work anymore.

How about this? Worked for me!

http://www.liquidimagephoto.com/

look under suunto tools

Mikhail Frenkel
August 14th, 2007, 10:45 AM
hi all,
i've been reading this thread for a while. I'm seriously considering buying Gekko and I have a few specific questions with regards to the programs and would appreciate it anyone could find some time clarifying things for me:
(1) i'm using MAC so i won't be using Suunto dive manager. There is a software available for Macs (http://www.macdivelog.com/) that is compatible with Gekko (at least that's what they claim). From my understanding, I don't need the program mentioned in this thread since it only works with Suunto DM. is it correct?
(2) is it possibly to change the sampling rate of Gekko using this program? has anyone tried it? i believe, Gekko is made with 30 sec sampling rate. i'd like to change it to 10 sec. if yes, which of the programs should I use?
(3) is it possible to erase all the previous information from Gekko's memory in case I buy a slightly used computer? if so, which program do I use?
(4) I understand that changing sampling rate and deleting previous dives from Gekko is done through firmware. Does anyone know by any chance how does it affect warranty?
(5) I know that the programs work with Windows OS, so i'd have to use a PC to make all the changes, which is fine, but would it work afterwords with my MAC?
Thank you very much

guggie
August 14th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I'll pitch in here.

1. I think the issue with SDM and the Gekko is as you describe, only affects that combination of software and hardware. I believe other software packages can address the memory in the Gekko without a problem.

2. I have changed the Gekko to 10 second sampling via SDM, but have yet to verify that it actually "took" by diving with it and checking the log.

3. I believe the program listed at the website above called DCeraser (Suunto eraser) does this.

4. If there is a warranty issue with your Gekko, change the settings back to original before you send it in. It's very unlikely that you'll have any problem caused by the software changes themselves. This actually brings up a good question. If a third party program just reads the memory on the Gekko, there would be no warranty issues at all. However, the program we use to make the Gekko work with SDM changes a bit in the Gekko's memory. This could affect warranty coverage. Therefore, if there is concern about this, perhaps we'd be better off using the third party program instead.

5. Dunno

hi all,
i've been reading this thread for a while. I'm seriously considering buying Gekko and I have a few specific questions with regards to the programs and would appreciate it anyone could find some time clarifying things for me:
(1) i'm using MAC so i won't be using Suunto dive manager. There is a software available for Macs (http://www.macdivelog.com/) that is compatible with Gekko (at least that's what they claim). From my understanding, I don't need the program mentioned in this thread since it only works with Suunto DM. is it correct?
(2) is it possibly to change the sampling rate of Gekko using this program? has anyone tried it? i believe, Gekko is made with 30 sec sampling rate. i'd like to change it to 10 sec. if yes, which of the programs should I use?
(3) is it possible to erase all the previous information from Gekko's memory in case I buy a slightly used computer? if so, which program do I use?
(4) I understand that changing sampling rate and deleting previous dives from Gekko is done through firmware. Does anyone know by any chance how does it affect warranty?
(5) I know that the programs work with Windows OS, so i'd have to use a PC to make all the changes, which is fine, but would it work afterwords with my MAC?
Thank you very much

ClayJar
August 14th, 2007, 05:59 PM
1. I think the issue with SDM and the Gekko is as you describe, only affects that combination of software and hardware. I believe other software packages can address the memory in the Gekko without a problem.That is correct. The only reason SDM doesn't work with the Gekko is because it asks "What kind of computer are you?" and if it hears "I'm a Gekko!" it says, more or less, "Oh, I don't converse with Gekkos." If your software doesn't have the prejudice, the Gekko's more than willing to converse.

(The Gekko download patch just sticks a "HELLO, My Name Is: Vyper" sticker over the Gekko's name tag. SDM accepts the computer at its word and converses.)

Rainer
August 14th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Yes, the sampling can be changed to 10 second intervals. Yes, it works. Also, really no need to erase the memory (you can); just don't DL those dives.

PufferFish_75
August 15th, 2007, 02:45 AM
is it possible to erase all the previous information from Gekko's memory in case I buy a slightly used computer? if so, which program do I use?

I believe the program listed at the website above called DCeraser (Suunto eraser) does this

Yes. The program clears the logbooks of both my Gekko and my Cobra.

CFDAlden
August 27th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I noticed something today, while Installing this on my new Gekko. I got the "Could not detect the interface" error on all three com ports, but, when I ran the SDM, I was able to download my dives. Somehow, it went through unnoticed.

I'm using the USB cable off e-bay, if that makes any difference.

Great program!

Edited: Where do you change your sampling to 10 seconds? I'd love to do this.

CMAN
August 28th, 2007, 07:52 AM
I used the DC Eraser program and it removed "most" of the dives from the computers log (some of the dives remained in the computer's log but doesn't show up if you try to down load to SDM). Also, the next dive after erasing the log did not register on the computer but the second dive did register (example: Dive 1, we did a dive to 70 ft. for 32 min. which did not log and Dive 2, we went to 30 ft. for 42 min. which did show on the computers log). This happened on 2 Cobras, 1 Vyper and 1 Gekko. I don't know if this happens just when you erase the log memory because this is the only time I used the eraser program and I haven't used the computers since.

guggie
August 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM
I used the DC Eraser program and it removed "most" of the dives from the computers log (some of the dives remained in the computer's log but doesn't show up if you try to down load to SDM). Also, the next dive after erasing the log did not register on the computer but the second dive did register (example: Dive 1, we did a dive to 70 ft. for 32 min. which did not log and Dive 2, we went to 30 ft. for 42 min. which did show on the computers log). This happened on 2 Cobras, 1 Vyper and 1 Gekko. I don't know if this happens just when you erase the log memory because this is the only time I used the eraser program and I haven't used the computers since.
You attempted to erase the logs on all of those computers? And none of them recorded the next dive after that? Whoa... not good. :shakehead:

I assume they appeared to be functioning fine though during the "first" dive after the erase attempt, right? :confused4

CMAN
August 28th, 2007, 09:20 AM
You attempted to erase the logs on all of those computers? And none of them recorded the next dive after that? Whoa... not good. :shakehead:

I assume they appeared to be functioning fine though during the "first" dive after the erase attempt, right? :confused4
I have erased the log from one computer before and I didn't "notice" any problem. They functioned fine during the first dive, they just didn't log the that dive for some reason.:confused:

guggie
August 28th, 2007, 09:24 AM
And you tried the erase program on all of those computers you mentioned above?

CMAN
August 28th, 2007, 09:36 AM
And you tried the erase program on all of those computers you mentioned above?
Yes, like I said, I have used it before on one computer and I didn't notice any problem. The reason I erased them was because it was taking too long to down load the to SDM. I am going to try and dive them tomorrow (if the weather permits) so I will see if it was just the first dive after erasing or if it fails to log any other dives.

guggie
August 28th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Keep us posted. I've also noted that the download speed is terribly slow and was thinking how long it was going to take when I have many many dives logged in my Vyper. The erase program would be good to use for that reason alone, but I don't want to risk being able to download even one new logged dive.

Leisure Pro Brett
August 28th, 2007, 06:54 PM
This is awesome! you know it had to have that port for some reason, they always told us it was for "factory use" Good Job, I'm sure a lot of people are very thankful for this.

CMAN
August 30th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I took three of the computers (one cobra, one gekko, one vyper)diving yesterday in the St. Clair River, 27 ft for 42 min, and all three recorded the dive correctly in the log. I didn't mention in the earlier post that aftre I "erased" the computers that a "strange dive" appeared in each of the computers log. On the Cobra it numbered the dive #27 start time of 10:07AM at 26ft for 19 min and a date of 05/16/54 and using 8% Oxygen. All the other computers have a similar reading with the same dive #27. Has this happened to anybody else that has erased thier logbook using the program.

CFDAlden
August 31st, 2007, 03:03 AM
Yes, the sampling can be changed to 10 second intervals. Yes, it works. Also, really no need to erase the memory (you can); just don't DL those dives.

Anyone care to enlighten me as to where this can be set? I'd like to change it from the factory set 30 second sampling.

-H

CMAN
August 31st, 2007, 03:33 AM
Anyone care to enlighten me as to where this can be set? I'd like to change it from the factory set 30 second sampling.

-H
With SDM running and your dive computer connected, look at the left hand side of the window. There you will see logbook (below file view actions help), below that you will see Dive Computer. In the box below dive computer you will see an icon with the name of your computer (Cobra, Vyper, etc.) and its ser. # left click on the ser# and it will change the box to the right to Dive computer settings. On the far right you will be able to change the sample rate. I hope this helps;)

guggie
September 2nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
deleted

ClayJar
September 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM
Not related to this thread at all and only in Spanish.As a rule, don't reply to spammers. I'm sure more than a few of us hit the "Report" button, and you can see the spammer and his posts (when I left home this morning, he was at seven and counting) are gone. Unfortunately, since you quoted his spam in your reply to him, it's still here.

If you don't mind, edit your post at least to delete his spam link.

CFDAlden
September 3rd, 2007, 01:15 AM
With SDM running and your dive computer connected, look at the left hand side of the window. There you will see logbook (below file view actions help), below that you will see Dive Computer. In the box below dive computer you will see an icon with the name of your computer (Cobra, Vyper, etc.) and its ser. # left click on the ser# and it will change the box to the right to Dive computer settings. On the far right you will be able to change the sample rate. I hope this helps;)

Ahhh, thank you. I was missing the "connect the DC" part. Doh!

Figures you need to have it connected to change it!

Geeze... I'm such a :dork2: !

:D

guggie
October 6th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Yes, like I said, I have used it before on one computer and I didn't notice any problem. The reason I erased them was because it was taking too long to down load the to SDM. I am going to try and dive them tomorrow (if the weather permits) so I will see if it was just the first dive after erasing or if it fails to log any other dives.

Any updates? I see there is a new version of DCeraser available and am wondering what is different and if it fixed the problem you found. I see there is also a new version of Gekko2vyper. Not sure what is new with that either.

CMAN
October 6th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Any updates? I see there is a new version of DCeraser available and am wondering what is different and if it fixed the problem you found. I see there is also a new version of Gekko2vyper. Not sure what is new with that either.

I have used the computers on three or four dives since the "missing" dive and they have recorded every dive with no problems.

ktfjammer
November 30th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Hi, I am new to diving and I am really love "blowing bubbles". Looks like I found a good site in Scuba Board. I just bought a Gekko because of this posting. Like I said I am a newby, so bear with me with the stupid questions. The Suunto website for the SDM, which download so I use for the Gekko2Vyper program? Onto the Gekko2Vyper program. I have download the program in this site. You plug the program into your interface to the dive computer and then to the desk top computer. Open the download and do you use the com1 or com3 port? Do you convert to the gekko or the vyper? Then click the "do it"? Is that all I need to do to get it into the log book. I am looking forward to all your help in my future diving.
Jim

CFDAlden
December 3rd, 2007, 04:07 AM
I'm at work, but let me see if I can remember this off the top of my head.

1: Plug your cable into your Gekko.
2: Power your Gekko up
3: Plug cable into your computer.
4: Your computer should give you some "New Hardware Detected" message. Cancel this.
5: Launch the Gekko2Vyper program.
6: Use whatever com port that will work. It will give you an error if you have the wrong port selected. Something along the lines of "Device not Found".
7: Once the Gekko2Vyper program converts the Gekko, you'll be good to go. Follow the first three steps, and launch SDM instead of Gekko2Vyper to read your computer.

I hope I got those in the right order!

CFDAlden
December 3rd, 2007, 04:13 AM
I'm at work, but let me see if I can remember this off the top of my head.

1: Plug your cable into your Gekko.
2: Power your Gekko up
3: Plug cable into your computer.
4: Your computer should give you some "New Hardware Detected" message. Cancel this.
5: Launch the Gekko2Vyper program.
6: Use whatever com port that will work. It will give you an error if you have the wrong port selected. Something along the lines of "Device not Found".
7: Once the Gekko2Vyper program converts the Gekko, you'll be good to go. Follow the first three steps, and launch SDM instead of Gekko2Vyper to read your computer.

I hope I got those in the right order!

ktfjammer
December 5th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Thank you for all your help. Which Suunto Dive Manager do I use on Suunto's site? This site is great.

kydanl
January 7th, 2008, 11:50 AM

can't get the link to open on a live page

guggie
January 7th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Go to Untitled Document (http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/Index.htm) and the Suunto tools link on the left lower side. Then save the file to your desktop or whatever.

Kingpatzer
January 7th, 2008, 12:34 PM
the link seems broken ... is there a new download site? If not, can someone forward me the program? (kingpazer at gmail dot com)

CFDAlden
January 8th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Direct link to the current program:

http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/SuuntoTools/Gekko2vyper.zip

ktfjammer
January 20th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Ok, I got an interface cable and did everything everyone said to do. I tried both ports and put my Gekko in PC mode. I still get the message "interface not detected". Can anyone help? Am I doing something wrong. Thanks for everyones help

ktfjammer
January 21st, 2008, 12:08 AM
I am currently trying to use a USB interface, should I be using the serial interface cable? Thanks again.

CFDAlden
January 21st, 2008, 04:05 AM
Is your Gekko turned on and in the PC mode? That would be the easiest solution! :)

ktfjammer
January 21st, 2008, 09:12 AM
Yes it is turned on and in the PC mode. I am thinking I need the serial cable and not the USB cable. I am looking for a USB adapter for the interface that would take it from USB to serial port. Thanks all again. Hope this will work and if anyone comes up with anything please write, Jim

fbk
January 21st, 2008, 09:52 AM
kftjammer, it shouldn't matter what cable you use. USB should work just as well as serial if not easier, sounds like there is something else wrong??

guggie
January 21st, 2008, 10:37 AM
My Gekko works fine with an EBay usb cable and WinXP. Are you sure your cable is working? Is it a connection issue with the contacts, etc?

CMAN
January 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM
When you have the Gekko in PC mode are the little triangles (at the bottom above the buttons) flashing alternately? If not the Gekko is not sending data.

ktfjammer
January 21st, 2008, 11:47 PM
I power up the Gekko and plug the interface in the back of the Gekko. I then connect the USB connection to my computer. I cycle the gekko until i get to "PC SET" the buttons "plan" and "time" has triangles above them. At the "mode" button is "select"...I press the mode/select button. The triangles go away and do not flash. I press the "do it" on the Gekko2Vyper and still get the interface is not detected. I hope this helps. How can I check if the cable is working properly or the connections are working. Thanks for all your help folks..

hdugan
January 22nd, 2008, 01:33 AM
How can I check if the cable is working properly or the connections are working.

Easy, hook it up to Suunto's SDM program - if that reports something like "Invalid Computer" instead of "can't find", than everything is working.

You need to install the USB drivers for the cable.
Also, make sure you have selected the correct com port!

If the arrows on the Gekko don't flash ( after you press 'DoIt') than there is something wrong in the connection. Clean both the Divecomputer's pins as well as the interface with a soft pencil eraser and try again. That connection is rather finicky.

If all else fails, I recommend contacting 'CIBDiving', just use the Email link on the LiquidImagePhoto.com web site. He has always been happy to help in the past.

CFDAlden
January 22nd, 2008, 04:45 AM
You need to install the USB drivers for the cable.
Also, make sure you have selected the correct com port!

I have the ebay USB cable, and it should have come with a mini CD that has the drivers on it. Those must be installed.

ktfjammer
January 22nd, 2008, 01:44 PM
Ok duh!!!! me. I borrowed the interface/USB cable from a friend of mine. He did not give me the drivers for the interface cable. OK, so you need the drivers for the cable in order for the interface to work. lol how stupid. I won't see my friend for a bit, is there anywhere I can find the divers for the interface cable....or is it best the just buy one on ebay...I like the serial connector because it is less expensive...Which one would you recommended. I only see the ones coming from Germany. Thank you for everyone that has helped me. Jim

ClayJar
January 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
I like the serial connector because it is less expensive...Which one would you recommended.As more and more new computers come out without classic serial ports, the USB cables become more and more worthwhile. (My laptop does not have a serial port, for example, and it's the very machine I download to most often.)

hdugan
January 22nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
... is there anywhere I can find the divers for the interface cable.......Which one would you recommended. I only see the ones coming from Germany....

You can get the drivers here too.

Custom Idea: niche market products at everyday prices (http://customidea.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=99)

ktfjammer
January 22nd, 2008, 10:28 PM
I went to the custom idea website. The driver does not work with my Suunto interface cable. Does anyone out there have a site or driver for the Suunto interface cable. Sorry for being a pain I am new to all this and just starting out. You ALL have been very helpful. Thank you

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1