Computer with Heart Rate???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockPile

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m looking for a basic air dive computer that includes a heart rate monitor. Does this exist? I’ve been scouring the planet for one for about a year (off and on, of course :wink: ) and can’t find it.

Does it exist on any of the higher end computers?

Thanks,
JB

I've personally never heard of any such device.

Yeah, it seems like it but I'm kind of shocked. Obviously, taking the current design of standard heart rate watches, it wouldn't work on top of neoprene. It would have to be warm water.

It just seems like the kind of thing serious divers might want (I do, anyway). I'd rather not be wearing two watches when I'm diving in conditions such that I want my heart rate.

Thanks,
JB

Yeah, same question as Snowbear... you usually want to know your heart rate to monitor athletic performance, to keep your heart in your target zone.

In diving, you want to do the opposite... to work as little as possible.

To that end, monitoring your SAC rate will provide you with a way to measure your effort while diving. Lower SACs are mainly a byproduct of using less energy underwater. Several computers support this calculation, or you can easily do it yourself.

-Brandon.

This is mainly a hold over habit from my days training in high school and college. I keep good tabs on it.

Fairbanksdiver, yes, sometimes an athlete will target a specific "zone" of acceptable heart rate in order to keep their workload up. Heart rate "ceilings" are also used as an indication of athletic error. For instance, a well trained athlete knows that where his heart rate should top off during a 400m. If he/she goes over that well established mark, they know that they are not staying in form and have lost stride efficiency. That might trigger some video time with a coach to regain lost form. Anyway, that’s just an example.

And if you think monitoring your heart rate is not an easy way of monitoring your SAC (an inelegant formula and concept), I don't know what to tell you. The bottom line is that if you can keep your heart rate down (by identifying the times that it tends to rise) you will keep your SAC down by proxy.

More to the point, I take it you don’t know of a computer that has this?

Thanks,
JB

People who have a high resting heart rate do use more air. My Pulsar has a rubber sensor that goes on the rib cage at the sternum and feeds info to a wrist readout. Watching your rate is a neurotic habit, but I am guilty of it. It does have a biofeedback element that you either are tuned in to, or not.

Thanks Catherine. My brother swears by the Pulsar. Do you dive with it?

JB

no, I don't think it is waterproof. I was just reading over on decostop that they are playing around with the dolphin reflex (Submersing your face in cold water, initiating bradycardia) It would be amusing to track, especially freediving. my, my...they are a lively bunch over there.

Yeah, exactly. The free divers I know are married to their heart rate monitors. The physiological changes in them after a couple of minutes wet are very tangible. MDR jumps off the screen of the monitors on their wrists. I’m not sure what more experimentation in that department is needed at such shallow depths but I’d be interested to hear. I’ve seen and experienced enhanced MDR and have read what’s had to be said about blood shift.

Anyway, I’ve seen free divers effectively using a monitor. And I’m attached at the hip to my heart rate monitor on land when I’m training, why shouldn’t I be underwater?

Thanks,
JB

P.S. - No matter how hard I try I just can’t tell the difference between Bud Light and Busch Light. I fear my antecedents were mostly proletariat.

Back
Top Bottom