Whiskey Wreck and Gulf State Pier 3-25-6 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After a late night out(Crystal Method played in Pensacola Fri night) and a late start out the door, Mikey P. and I headed to Gulf Shores to meet up with Paulwall. Only an hour late too, Paulwall forgave us though :D

Was quite chilly outside, but the we had clear skies, flat surf, no current, and decent visibility at 5-10'. We found the Whiskey Wreck without any problems and I immediately tagged a sheepshead. We circled the wreck a few times and every so often I'd vear South of the wreck a bit to where the sheepshead were hiding out and tag another(I stopped at 3). I maxed out at 14' and our dive lasted for 57 minutes before we surfaced at the beach. All in all, I think everyone had a great time despite the chilly surface temps and 64F water.

Nearly 3 hours later and a quick set of fills at Gary's Gulf Diver, we met up with Bill L. at Cotton Bayou where he was putting in his new boat. After we got out of Perdido Pass we immediately hit a stiff wind out of the West and choppy 2-3' seas which made the ride out to the Gulf State Pier a bit longer than usual. We anchored off and dropped in the water. I hit 13' for a 37min dive before I hopped back in the boat to feed fish off the side. I was feeling sick in the water(should have drank less the night before maybe? :06: ) and didn't want to test puking through the regulator. I tagged another sheepshead before turning the polespear over to Bill L. He shot another 3. The ride back was much quicker, but we had a steering issue by the time we were under the Perdido Pass bridge. After Bill gets the steering bugs fixed he'll have a nice boat to dive off - hope he doesn't forget about me! :)

Sheepshead.jpg

Shot from after the Whiskey Wreck.

Thanks for making the trip report (among all of your other duties)! The Whiskey Wreck was GREAT! I would have done a second tank if the wind had stayed down and the vis had not gone to crap. Didn't seem to HOOVER too badly on that dive (but I only saw 10' of water). Pics to come!

Can the pier be dived from the beach?

Your hoovering keeps my butt from freezing off. I'd be an ice cube if I stayed down there during the duration of a tank! :D

Access to the pier via land is under construction and supposed to be offlimits. That being said, I've heard of several people diving it from shore regardless.

Back
Top Bottom