Raw Adventure, Kauai or Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarbfar

New
Reaction score
I am new to the forum so I hope I found the right place to post. In late August, we are going to Hawaii for 12 days and need either Kauai or Maui for the long part of the trip. We are a group of 5 adults and 4 late teens. We are all intermediate to experienced divers. We are also very adventurous above water and keep our schedule full. We will travel among most of the major islands but we need to choose between Kauai or Maui for the bulk of the stay. So, where will we have the most to do as far as diving and especially the above ground stuff…like, volcanoes, hiking, climbing, bike riding, rafting, exploring, and all out adventure? Not looking for rest and relaxation we are looking to go, Go, GO! (We love the raw nature of places like Costa Rica and are hoping to find that part of Hawaii)

Thanks! Sarah

Like justleesa said, the only active volcano where you can see flowing lava is the Big Island. It's also bigger than all the rest of them put together so has the most wilderness. You can go on multi-day backpacking trips on the Big Island if you want. Also, the Kona coast has the best diving.

Kauai has the Na Pali Coast which is AWESOME hiking. It's a linear out-and-back coastal trail that's just stunning. Waimeia Canyon is also really nice and there are lots of trails in the highlands of Kauai. The diving can be very adventurous if you can make it to Ni'ihau. That's a heck of a rough boat ride and an all day event, but spectacular diving. Overall, probably not as much of a dive destination as Maui or TBI, but some good diving nonetheless.

One of the Maui folks will be here soon. I have yet to spend much time there. But Haleakala has got to present some nice adventuring opportunities, and there's a lot of diving including Molokini Wall.

In my experience, you can't go wrong on any Hawaiian Island :)

#1,Big Island would be the most adventure opportunities. Numerous good hikes in Volcano NP, lava tubes, coastal hikes, diving, waterfalls, lots of biking as well.

#2,Kauai is good too, just a bit more limited due to size. But certainly diving, hiking & biking opportunites abound. Some good waterfalls Napali side. Mt biking & hiking Waimea Canyon, KoKee state park.

#3, Maui has some great hiking in Haleakala Crater & hiking in the creeks/waterfalls from the Hana side. Thats about it, other than diving of course. Cycling is limited, due to lotsa traffic. Of course you can bike from Kula up into Haleakala, but its quite a workout and will do a number on your brakes coming down if using a conventional bike.

TIP: There is a book series by Wizard Publications that is the definitive adventure guide to each of the islands. I live here & use em. www.wizardpub.com

If you demand volcanoes, the Big Island for sure. Else then Kauai. In fact, I think Kauai will have the best hikeing of all. And be good for everything else (except volcanoes-- naturally).

Hope the trip goes great!

There is probably more to do on Maui overall than the other islands but I have a feeling you'll enjoy whatever island you spend most of your time on.

I got bored on Maui but never on the big isle. I never ran out of things to do there. In the 14 months I was there, I still didn't get it all done and I go all the time. MAke as much time as posssable available for the big isle. Don'tmiss the manta dive. Book it your first night incase it gets called off you will have another chance. If you short on time but can afford it, do the two hour helo tour. The one hour is OK but the twohour tour of the island is awsome! Book online and you get local rates, 25% off.
Where ever you go, you will have a good time. Aloha

Wildcard they aren't going to the Big Island, it's either Kauai or Maui for them.

Thanks for all of the info! More helpful than I could have imagined, we are actually now considering TBI because of the info from you guys. Any additional info is still needed.
-Sarah

Aloha Sarah,
I bet we could get in a serious tug of war on this subject ( resident divers on Maui, Oahu, Kauai). Fact is - all the islands are amazing and offer something very different. You arent going to make a bad decision. And whatever island you choose - get some good suggestions from these guys. Most of us here "on island" love to help our visitors experience what we are blessed to have as every day life.

For my take...(I had to get it in) Kauai and TBI are wonderful because you can get away from everything very easily. Maui is wonderful (I lived there for 2 1/2 years) but on the busy side and can have a very crowded feel at times. It's very very beautiful - and that's why it has seen so much development over the past few years. At the same time - if you are looking for great nightlife and like the buzz of activity - Maui is perfect. Downtown Lahaina with it's galleries, shops and bars is a blast. The evening shows etc.. and a wonderful Aqaurium. The Big island is...well, very big. And getting away is not an issue. Kona has great personality and is just a great town in general. In 7 years in Hawaii I've only spent two days on the Big Isle (both in Kona) so I have to admit I'm not a good source of info. My stompin' grounds are on Kauai. It is very beautiful as well and has the best of both worlds - though it is geared to the layed back. Nightlife on Kauai? hmmmm.... go to a luau or take a bottle of wine down to the beach under the stars. Kauai's north shore is very sleepy and feels like you've gone back 50 years in Hawaii. Very little going on at all other than the town of Hanalei which you must visit if you come. Kayaking rivers or ocean - zipline tours - hiking the mind blowing Napali coast trails - Waimea Canyon (Grand Canyon of Hawaii) - waterfall hikes ... little of it all. Diving the island of Niihau is beyond words often. Kauai's south shore has amazing dives as well. If you have more specific questions fire away. I know we'd all be happy to help. Whatever island you finalize on - get the "Big island Revealed" or "Ultimate Kauai Guidebook." They're by wizard publications and are by far the best guidebooks for helping plan your visit.

Best of island wishes
Anthony

Back
Top Bottom