Suunto vytec question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just a quick question about the vytec, I currently dive without a computer but am looking to purchase onesoon. Was curious if you are able to switch your gases in between dives on a dive trip, or if I have to stay with the gas I programmed in. What I mean is that if I go on a dive trip and I want to dive with nitrox on one dive, am I able to switch to air for the second dive, and still be able to use my computer correctly or would I have to continue using Nitrox for the entire trip?

Any help on this would be appreciated as I am leaning towards purchasing this computer in the next few days/week.

Thanks

Steve

The Vytec can be set for multiple gases so you can switch underwater for DECO if needed. Easiest way is to remember, air is 21% Nitrox. So you just set one for the mix you were diving and the other for 21%. :D

aaen:
Just a quick question about the vytec, I currently dive without a computer but am looking to purchase onesoon. Was curious if you are able to switch your gases in between dives on a dive trip, or if I have to stay with the gas I programmed in. What I mean is that if I go on a dive trip and I want to dive with nitrox on one dive, am I able to switch to air for the second dive, and still be able to use my computer correctly or would I have to continue using Nitrox for the entire trip?

Any help on this would be appreciated as I am leaning towards purchasing this computer in the next few days/week.

Thanks

Steve

You can change between dives on any nitrox computer. With the Vytec as was mentioned you can switch to a second mix during the dive.

thanks for the replies

I figured you could switch between gases during the dives, just wanted to make sure that you could, or you weren't stuck on one gas type, as that woudl be completly useless, WEll again thanks for the replies and I will finally take the jump to go divign with a computer.

Steve

gcbryan:
You can change between dives on any nitrox computer. With the Vytec as was mentioned you can switch to a second mix during the dive.
It will take 3 mixes that you can switch during the dive.

I'm not a tech diver but from what I understand, if you are doing any decompression diving, you should using dive tables and a bottom timer instead of a computer during your dive. So while the ability to switch gases on a dive offers greater flexibility, is really the only benefit of it to serve as sort of a backup to your own dive tables and bottom timer?

This feature (multi-gas switching during a dive) on this specific computer gets my vote for the least used function on a dive computer. It also gets my vote for dive computer function that most confuses new divers. Pointless really for 99.9% of divers. Nice computer though.

The Vytec also has the ability to be used a bottom timer, it has three modes air, nitrox, & Guage mode. On the newer modles it also has the deep stop capability. It can be used for tec diving just fine. It also the ability for integrated air, I have many dives on mine with no trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom