Looking to dive red sea - recommmendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SafetyStopBait

Registered
Reaction score
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
# of dives
50 - 99
hey all,

I'm looking to plan a trip in august and now i'm on this kick where i want to dive the red sea. I'd prefer to stay in israel cause I would like to include a week of touring israel. but what i'm learning is that all diving in Eilat is shore diving (according to the operator i've exchanged e-mails with). I have an inkling for a liveaboard but would be very happy with good diving. I might have misunderstood but it seemed like there wasn't any boat diving there.
That true? If not, any recommendations on operators? travel from stateside to eilat?

If not Eilat, i'd love to hear recommendations on operators in Sharm. I found one that is appealing called Wildcat. It's a liveaboard based in Sharm.

Thanks,

Mike

Red Sea Shadow:
Best liveaboards are from Hurghada, Safaga, Marsa Alam, or Hamata, while best daily boat diving is in Sharm.
I agree. And the further south, the better the diving.

ArthurGerla:
I agree. And the further south, the better the diving.

Well it depends. If you're into big pelagics, yes of course, further south is better.
Actually the Red Sea is composed of three main diving areas:
1. Gulf of Aqaba: including Dahab.
2. Open sea infront of Sinai: including Ras Mohamed.
3. Open sea further south: the fun here starts from Safaga.

There is some boat diving in Eilat, but not that much. Japanese Gardens is probably the only regular boat dive site. Aqua Sport has a boat that runs day trips from Taba, but other then that I think you'll find it's mostly shore diving until you get down near Sharm.

I haven't made it down to Sharm, yet, but have done Taba a few times and Dahab once (based from Eilat). Taba is easily done in a day and Dahab really needs to be at least an overnight trip.

There is some boat diving in Eilat, but not that much. Japanese Gardens is probably the only regular boat dive site. Aqua Sport has a boat that runs day trips from Taba, but other then that I think you'll find it's mostly shore diving until you get down near Sharm.

I haven't made it down to Sharm, yet, but have done Taba a few times and Dahab once (based from Eilat). Taba is easily done in a day and Dahab really needs to be at least an overnight trip.

Hey, Mike,

Last September I did a 3 day live-aboard trip out of Sharm with a group from a dive center in Eilat. At this link you'll find a very short report on that trip.

I did the Aquasport boat out of Taba a couple of months ago. The diving was incredibly beautiful, the boat pleasant, and the crew helpful. I hear the food is good, too, but I didn't try it. Aquasport took me across the border, which made life easier. All in all, a wonderful day. Can't wait to do it again.
Mike, PM me if you'd like to meet up in Israel. We can show you around a bit, and maybe dive.
Barbara

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom