zebras in Millbrook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivePartner1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today's Post reported that us divers have infected Millbrook Quarry with zebra mussels. They suggest that we rinse our gear, especially BCs, with water heated to 140 degrees before visiting the quarry.

Does anyone here have any experience with decomtaminating gear? I've seen what these things are doing to the Great Lakes.

The chance of divers carrying zebe larvae is slim; chances are they were brought there in the feathers of those flying garbage cans, seagulls.
Read up on the zebra mussels at: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/divers3/zebramussels.htm

Allowing the gear to dry in between dives will kill the larvae, (not the mussels themselves though).

I don't see many seagulls in Manassass but I do see a lot of ocean divers.

If it were the birds, all of the quarries would be sick, and they're not.

Any marine biologists out there?

that the zebra mussels have done wonders for the viz in the Great Lakes. They do cause other problems though.

In the Great lakes. I live in Ohio, and dive the Great Lakes 3 or 4 times a year. The lakes are full of them. But, I also dive quarrys that are full of them.

Also, in the spring when the ice clears, I dive farm ponds from time to time. They are getting bad in farm ponds also.

Im convinced its the birds spreading the contamination.

I have a buddy who had his farm pond dug about 3 years ago, and I was the first diver ever to dive it this spring, and guess what?

Yep, I found Zebra's in it.

So, even if divers could cause contamination, (and I don't know if they could or not) freshwater ponds and quarrys are being contaminated anyways.

Dave

Millbrook seems to be the first quarry infected in the DC area. Maybe Lake Raskin is next? Many LDS's train in some PA quarries that may be infected and I also dive in Lake Michigan.

Better viz would be nice but it would be shame to kill off everything else. I'm old enough to remember the Lampry eel crisis and the great Alewife die off that hit Lake Michigan in the mid-60s.

...great Alewife die off...
There is a big zebra mussel kill every winter in shallow areas; I've seen windrows of shells 3' deep along some shores.
Don't forget your Kevlar.:mean:

...what's so bad about Zebra Mussels? I know they filter the water and that in the northern lakes they have covered the wrecks but other than being sharp little buggers, what harm to they do? Seems I remember someone (Bob3?) saying they will clog intake valves on dams or something to that effect.

Do they kill off endemic species? Do they have any preditors? All I really know for sure is everyone seems to hate them.

Please educate me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom