Apeks XTX20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serrada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just signed my girl friend up for her OW course yesterday at my LDS. I had been planning on getting an additional rig for girlfriends and friends and just b/c I like scuba gear. I actually had be planning on getting a Sherwood Oasis ($330) b/c I like the idea of the moister retention. For the past 10 years I’ve been wanting to try one and have not been able to.

Anyway, based on this months Skin Diver article (http://www.atomicaquatics.com/PDF/JUNE06REGREVIEW.pdf) and the fact at the LDS my girlfriend get a 10% discount and the fact thru the end of July aqualung is giving away free octopuses with the purchase of a regulator. I’m going to get an Apeks XTX20.

The cost is:

XTX20 $380
Egress octo free
10% discount $38
Subtotal $342

1) Am I making the right decision on the regulators?

2) What do you think of the cost? (Their asking MSRP and I’m not used to paying MSRP for anything. I do have to have the factory authorized warranty though.)

1. If you bump up to at least the XTX50, it'll last through anything. The first stage that the 20 comes with is not suitable for cold water diving.

2. MSRP is not cool.

Edited for clarity.

My son's got an ATX20 (which apart from the cover and L/R switcheroo-ability is the same as the XTX20). It breathes every bit as well as our ATX200's, including during out-of-air drills with two people on the first stage. "Warm water" means above 50F, which is pretty chilly in my book. When he "needs" cold water ability, I'll probably let him use mine, 'cause *I* certainly won't be using it in cold water. We got an especially good price on it from Divetank (which does include a manufacturer's warranty). If I'd known he was going to get as hooked as he is I probably would have gotten the ATX50 as I'm sure everyone else will suggest.

I'm not a big fan of "octo" stages. We use ATX20 second stages for backup seconds. I keep toying with the idea of turning to the dark side^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hlong hose, and an Egress would not be an appropriate bungeed second.

We bought our regs over a year ago so I'm no longer current on prices. If I were you I'd give Divetank a call for a pretty good reality check on pricing.

teknitroxdiver:
1. If you bump up to at least the XTX50, it'll last through anything. The first stage that the 20 comes with is not suitable for cold water diving.

2. MSRP is not cool.

Edited for clarity.

Thanks for the replies.

This regulator will not be used for any cold water diving. Just rec. Florida and Caribbean.

It will never be in water under 50F. And if so, we have a big problem down here in South Florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom