Hose mounting location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulVS

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an Oceanic Alpha 8 w/ balanced piston first stage.

I felt on some pre-cert pool dives and on my O.W. cert dives that the reg was pulling out of the right side of my mouth. I had swapped the hose with a longer one after the pool dives and still felt it tugging on the O.W. dives.

After looking at the 1st stage carefully... I noticed that if I swapped the octo connection with the regulator connection, it gave the reg hose a more natural wrap around my head - and the octo can run under my right arm nicely. But this is bass-ackwards from the way all other reg setups I have seen.

Is there any problem with this arrangement?

regsetup1.jpg

Looks fine to me. As long as it works safely and efficiently for you it's good.

BTW Nice bike. 1200 Bandit?

eandiver:
Looks fine to me. As long as it works safely and efficiently for you it's good.

BTW Nice bike. 1200 Bandit?

Thanks for the input. Yes it is a 1200 Bandit. Good eye. :14:

Just out of curiosity are you using a back plate/wing or a regular jacket style BC?

Depending on the direction of your future diving goals a hose swivel would make comfort better. According to some it is a weak point and others say it's fine but for basic OW diving it is should pose no problem. I used one until I started configuring my gear for cave and then stopped using it just to minimize possible weak points.

I'm using an Oceanic OceanPro FX BCD. I saw the swivel on Ebay recently but it did cross my mind that another connection could = another thing that could go wrong.

Frankly, I don't understand why the hose arrangement I have now isn't the standard. It routes much better, and makes reg retrieval easier... for me anyway.

And personally I think the best 1st stage setup is vertically-arranged ports (Like on my wife's Dacor Eagle Pro DPD) rather than the L-shaped 1st stage that my Oceanic has.

So many configurations, so many manufacturing styles, so many individual preferences.....kind of like a TBR full system over a V&H full system over a set of Micron slip ons or a M4 pipe with a Power Commander. Different strokes.

Picture how your current system would work with a back plate and double tanks. Change up again...........

The really sad part is that I can't remember what first stage I had when I first started diving but it was a matched set with the second being a Sherwood Oasis. Went to the ScubaPro MK25/S600 and have never looked back.

Went from a Mares Frontier X BC to a DR TransPac II to my current Al BP with a rec wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom