regulator terminology question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thresa

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m getting a little confused with the terminology of regulators. Could someone please clarify what the difference is between an inline balanced piston and a balanced diaphragm for the first stage? Which is better for recreational diving or does it really matter?

Doesn't really matter ultimately. Diphragms are generally easier to service (fewer parts) and are generally environmentally sealed which can prevent first stage icing in cold water. Both are capable of giving about the same performance. Choose on other, more practical factors such as price, service availability, and adequate performance for your type of diving.

I agree, it doesn't really matter... I believe the best piston will outperform the best diaphragm but my guess is the only way you would notice is to hook them up to a work-of-breathing tester. If you get a decent balanced 1st and 2nd stage, you're going to be a happy camper. Apeks, Aqualung, Atomic, Dive-Rite, Scubapro and Zeagle (to name a few) all make regulators which are very popular among divers doing more advanced diving.

Oh, when he says cold water, we are talking in the 40's. I'd have a hard time imagining a piston freezing up here in Texas.

Personally I use Apeks DS4's on my backgas and Dive-Rites on my deco bottles (both diaphragm).

Back
Top Bottom