bc inflator/octo?? Scubapro air 2???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hugedodge2000:
I'm looking at one of thos bc inflators that also doubles as an octo. It says that the purged air is expelled into your bc. How the heck does that work...I thought you werent supposed to fill your bc up if you were heading to the surface cause you would come up to fast??? What if you don't want the air in your bc????

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_960/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/SCPA2GY.html?Hit=1

If you exhale into the mouthpiece of the Air 2, while pressing the square button the BC will inflate, but you must be careful because if their is alot of pressure in the BC the square button will try to release the pressure at the same time. The round button will fill the BC with air from your tank (once it passes thru your first stage). Be careful with leasurepro as Scubapro does not recognize them as dealer and warranty might be void

If you purge your reg, it does not inflate your BCD. There are seperate buttons on the device - one to purge the reg, one to inflate the bcd and one to exhaust air out of the bcd.

I cant speak for 'how ikt works', but think about it......

Do you really want to have your backup reg incorporated into your inflator and why? I know there are quite a few variations on this out there.

Questions that come to my mind....
What if the the inflator does not 'perform well' (is stuck, blows an o-ring, has dirt in it etc, etc).... will it have an effect on your ability to breathe off your backup (octo)? How would you share gas with your buddy....... He/she would have to be VERY close to you to be able to breathe off the short inflator hose..........you could get entangled.

I am not saying you should not, but I would suggest to think about what purpose it serves and how it would work in a real emergency.

The purged air does not enter the BC. When used as a regulator, it works the same as any other second stage with the expelled air exiting through an exhaust valve.

You dump air from the BC by pressing the large square button which then vents the air out the mouthpiece, like any other inflator.

If you wish to orally inflate the BC, you can do that by pressing the square button all the way down and blowing air ito the mouth piece, again just like on any other inflator.

The square button is not an over pressure relief valve - that is located on the BC itself.

When you purge the Air 2, the purged air does not go into the BC. Not sure how that could happen. I have used the Air 2 since 1988 and the only issue I have ever had with it is if you get sand in the reg, it will easily free flow. A good cleaning after every dive can keep this from happening. I take the cover off, the diaphram out, rinse the inside very well, then put it back together.

Meng_Tze:
I cant speak for 'how ikt works', but think about it......

How would you share gas with your buddy....... He/she would have to be VERY close to you to be able to breathe off the short inflator hose..........you could get entangled.

I am not saying you should not, but I would suggest to think about what purpose it serves and how it would work in a real emergency.

I had one on my old BC. I loved it. practice with it and not a prob. In an OOA situation your buddy gets your main you take the octo. you can control yourself very easily with one on ascent one hand on your buddies bc one on your octo/inflator to vent air.

Buddy breaths off your primary and you use the bc octo. So you have to press the deflate button while breathing in?????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom