Opinions re: Mares Proton v12 Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Am considering the Mares Proton v12 Regulator for tropical diving. I also like the compact size of the 2ns. stage.

Anyone have any experience with this regulator?

Thanks in advance,

Sy

sytech:
Am considering the Mares Proton v12 Regulator for tropical diving. I also like the compact size of the 2ns. stage.

Anyone have any experience with this regulator?

Thanks in advance,

Sy

I have owned two different Mares Proton regs for the last few years. They are a great value, and offer "US Navy Class A" breathing performance. If you are looking for a non-adjustable second stage, they are tough to beat. The V12 first stage has a removable high pressure seat, while the standard MR12 does not.

As far as service issues, I rebuild both Mares and Apeks regs, and the Proton series is my favorite to work on. They have very few parts, and are simple to properly adjust.

BTW, I bought a Proton for my wife, and she is very pleased with it.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your comments.

What is the pro and con of "a removable high pressure seat"?

Is there any "meaningful" advantage to the Mares MR 12 Rebel or the Mares V16 Proton XL?

These model numbers and names can drive ya nuts!

Sy

Greg Barlow:
I have owned two different Mares Proton regs for the last few years. They are a great value, and offer "US Navy Class A" breathing performance. If you are looking for a non-adjustable second stage, they are tough to beat. The V12 first stage has a removable high pressure seat, while the standard MR12 does not.

As far as service issues, I rebuild both Mares and Apeks regs, and the Proton series is my favorite to work on. They have very few parts, and are simple to properly adjust.

BTW, I bought a Proton for my wife, and she is very pleased with it.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

I can't comment on the V12 but I've owned a V16 since mid 2004 and it's a fantastic reg. Did a 50 metre (approx 160 feet) dive last year in Mocambique and it performed perfectly, absolutely no difference in ease of breathing at that depth.

sytech:
Hi Greg,

What is the pro and con of "a removable high pressure seat"?

The pro of a removable seat is that if it is damaged, it can be replaced. Otherwise, you must replace the entire first stage body. But, I have only seen one damaged HP seat in a Mares regulator after servicing them for nearly 10 years. So it isn't a real serious concern.

Is there any "meaningful" advantage to the Mares MR 12 Rebel or the Mares V16 Proton XL?

The V16 first stage does have superior hose routing for single tank diving. It also offers a higher gas flow than that of the MR12. Either one will give great breathing at recreational depths. I use two MR12 first stages on my cave/tech diving rig, and they offer very stable, consistent performance whether at 60' or 130'. If helium based mixes are used at greater depths, they would breathe even easier due to the decrease in mix density.

These model numbers and names can drive ya nuts!

The Mares regs are all diaphragm first stages, with the exception of the unbalanced piston R2 model. The R2 has the lowest gas flow, the MR12 is next, with the V16 in the middle, and the MR22 series having the highest amount of gas flow. Remember that a second stage is the limiting factor in a reg's performance. The Mares second stages have a flow rate of between 50-70cfm of air (dependent on model). The MR12 has a flow rate of around 130-140cfm, so it can easily handle two second stags at a heavy flow.

The 16 and 22 series (includes V32), will have less drop in intermediate pressure than the 12, but this is not a great factor in recreational type diving. All of the Mares first stages use a port that leads from the back of the diaphragm to the IP area. This is called the DFC (dynamic flow control), and it goes to one port that is marked. Testing has shown that it does indeed work in lowering the IP drop. AquaLung, and some other brands now use it in some of their first stage diaphragm designs.

Greg Barlow

Have a squiz at this link, a world record was set with the MR22 where 101 divers breathed off one 1st stage, quite impressive.

http://www.deeptec.co.za/page3.HTM

Thanks Greg, I'm definitely no expert when it comes to equipment and you've taught me quite a bit in one thread:D

Hi Greg,

Thanks for taking the time for your very comprehensive and informative reply.

Do you have any opinions regarding integrated octos vs. a regular set-up and if you are a fan of them which model would you recommend?

Sy

QUOTE=Greg Barlow]
sytech:
Hi Greg,

The pro of a removable seat is that if it is damaged, it can be replaced. Otherwise, you must replace the entire first stage body. But, I have only seen one damaged HP seat in a Mares regulator after servicing them for nearly 10 years. So it isn't a real serious concern.

The V16 first stage does have superior hose routing for single tank diving. It also offers a higher gas flow than that of the MR12. Either one will give great breathing at recreational depths. I use two MR12 first stages on my cave/tech diving rig, and they offer very stable, consistent performance whether at 60' or 130'. If helium based mixes are used at greater depths, they would breathe even easier due to the decrease in mix density.

The Mares regs are all diaphragm first stages, with the exception of the unbalanced piston R2 model. The R2 has the lowest gas flow, the MR12 is next, with the V16 in the middle, and the MR22 series having the highest amount of gas flow. Remember that a second stage is the limiting factor in a reg's performance. The Mares second stages have a flow rate of between 50-70cfm of air (dependent on model). The MR12 has a flow rate of around 130-140cfm, so it can easily handle two second stags at a heavy flow.

The 16 and 22 series (includes V32), will have less drop in intermediate pressure than the 12, but this is not a great factor in recreational type diving. All of the Mares first stages use a port that leads from the back of the diaphragm to the IP area. This is called the DFC (dynamic flow control), and it goes to one port that is marked. Testing has shown that it does indeed work in lowering the IP drop. AquaLung, and some other brands now use it in some of their first stage diaphragm designs.

Greg Barlow

Sy,

I will give you a brief overview of my reg configurations.

I use a long hose /short hose back-up on all of my regs. I have two rigs set up for single tank diving. One is an Apeks DS4/TX50. I use a 7' hose on the primary, and the back-up TX50 is on a 22" hose. The other is a Mares V16 Proton. The Mares rig has a standard Proton (non metal) on the 7' hose, and a Mares Nikos on the 22". I use the two rigs about equally, and enjoy them both very much.

My doubles are set up with two MR12 first stages. The right post carries a Mares Akros on a 7' hose, while the left uses another Akros on a 24" hose.

I also have a spare first stage in my tool box in case it is ever needed at a dive site. It is an older version of the V16, known as the MR16. BTW, it has never been needed to save a dive.

My stage and deco bottles are all outfitted with Mares MR12 regs.

The reason why I use the same set-up on all of my gear is that of consistency. Now matter what type of dive I am making, my gear is basically the same. This makes for quick decisions, and is a big plus for safety. I also use a back plate/wing for all of my dives. I use a Dive Rite 30# Venture wing for singles, and a Halcyon 55# for doubles.

As far as integrated octos go, you are basically using the same policy of donating the reg from your mouth if your buddy needs a helping hand. Sharing air on a short 30-32" hose can be a bit tough at times. If you decide to go with the integrated approach, you might want to consider going with a longer primary hose. As far as a model goes, it is my understanding that the Atomic version is pretty tough to beat.

It is pretty obvious that I am a big fan of the long hose/back-up approach....

Greg Barlow

QUOTE=Greg Barlow][/QUOTE]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom