Help reg pros, can this one be saved?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I needed an Apeks DS4 for a class in 2 weeks, got one on ebay and got the royal screwing. Just wondering if anyone can tell me if this reg is beyond worth fixing, or do you think it can be put back in working order with a good servicing. The description on E-Bay was
"This Regulator was only used on a pony bottle for a few dives

It has gone on several dive trip but has not left my dive bag"

It is crusted with salt, obviously never cleaned or cared for, obviously used for more than "a few dives", and was flooded. You can see the salt and corrosion that goes all the way down the inside of the barrel.

Hopefully you can see these:

badapeks1.jpg

badapeks2.jpg

badapeks3.jpg

badapeks4.jpg

The first one just shows some salt in the second stage, the others show some of the crud and corrosion on the treads and down the barrel. It is hard to see from the pics, but the green corrosion goes all the way to the filter, which is discolored too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

That doesn’t look that bad. I have overhaul regulators in far worse condition. Looking at the pictures, that should clean up just fine.

I have never worked on an Apeks, but from its reputation I can’t imagine it being a particularly delicate regulator.

From what I can tell from the pictures, that could have even happen from one careless event were the regulator got splashed with salt water wile disconnecting it from the tank. In that situation it should have been serviced afterwards.

The second stage didn't get rinsed well either, but again that should clean well with good service.

Hi Jason.....I have no doubt that the regulator can be returned to first-class condition. This is typical of what we see in regulators all of the time. If you can't find a local solution, give us a call and we can service it professionally for you. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

PhilEllis:
Hi Jason.....I have no doubt that the regulator can be returned to first-class condition. This is typical of what we see in regulators all of the time. If you can't find a local solution, give us a call and we can service it professionally for you. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have never let any of my regs get that way, so I was not sure how bad (or not) this damage was.
Phil - ironically, I usually would never buy something like this from Ebay. I bought my other DS4s from you, before the AL fiasco you went through. I have one LDS that is an Apex dealer, and they refused to order a DS4, and instead told me they would order me another model but it would take 6 months to get. I was in a bind and needed one asap. I guess I will see if they (the apex dealer) will service it, if not I will definitely send it to you. I would just send it to you now, but I needed it for a class that starts in less then a week, and if I can get it done locally it may be faster.
Thanks,
Jason

No problem. I've serviced regs in MUCH worse shape. Take it in and get it rebuilt and it should give you years of trouble free service.

I'd agree with the consensus. 5 - 10 minutes in the US cleaner with the acid solution works wonders.

I love to leave the lid off and watch the process (with mask & goggles). :wink:

THE REG IS TOAST....please ship to my address.

Just kidding, it should clean up pretty nice. BTW you out bid on that reg Jason.

miketsp:
II love to leave the lid off and watch the process (with mask & goggles). :wink:
How do you fit the mask on over the goggles?!

jonnythan:
How do you fit the mask on over the goggles?!

I'm talking about safety equipment - a breathing mask over nose & mouth for fumes & safety goggles so no splashes in the eyes from the acid solution if you get too close.

Back
Top Bottom