How is Egypt been affected by the present middle east crisis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thorz

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Red Sea divers.

I am deeply saddened by the events that have unfolded during the last month and that are in danger of destabilizing this beautiful region of the world.

I am wondering: How is Egypt been affected by the present crisis? How does the near future looks like for the tourism in general on Egypt?

I have already booked my trip to Sharm for January 2007 but am following the developments very closely. I am wondering how is the security status in Egypt and how does the actual situation change the things for us foreigners that like to visit the country in the upcoming months?

I don't like to change the destination of our trip. I have been planning to visit Egypt for a long time already, but I like to be relaxed while I am on our vacations and not been worried or feel that my family is at any risk while I am there.

I really like to thank you for your opinions.

Egypt is compensated in a way because some of the tourists -especially the Arabs- that aimed to go to Lebanon came to Egypt instead. However, regarding diving, the near future is not so good.
The security status in Egypt is not affected. Nothing will change in dealing with foreigners.

Red Sea Shadow:
However, regarding diving, the near future is not so good.
Asser, what do you mean by that?

Btw, I'll be in Dahab for ten days starting October 1st. I'll drop by to say hello. :)

Thanks for the heads up , although I wasn't concerned .

Leaving for Marsa Alam tomorrow !!!!!!! Diving starts Monday.

Does this mean that the situation in Sharm and all the diving spots of the Sinai area is completely normal and that all the operations are been carried as they were before on any other day, unaffected by the actual crisis?

These are very good news to hear, for you there and for us that are planning to visit.

Thanks for the clarification, Asser. There aren't many people giving up on Egypt as of yet here. I hope it stays that way.

Thorz
u can relax....
the only thing i remember had real influence over Egypt was 9/11. We went to Sharm weeklater and it was simply deserted. But still we did allour dives and enjoyed it even more because there were few divers...
So plan your trip and have fun once you get there
Mania

I lived in Egypt as an 8 to 18 year old during which time a couple of gulf wars and several fundamentalist terrorist attacks occured. Egyptians don't really consider themselves Arabs and/or part of the Middle East. Geographically they are only really attached to the ME and are actually Northeast Africans. As a culture they consider themselves Egyptians. They have an enourmous independent history and for many years they have lived in relative stability, with Hosni Mubarak serving as democratically elected president since 1981. There are many multinational force bases along their borders with Israel but since the 70's these have not been compromised, the Gulf Wars had little or nothing to do with them and the terrorist attacks that have occured in recent years have been "no worse" (for want of a better term) than attacks on the UK, Spain, US etc by the IRA, ETA, Al Qaeda et al. Tourist numbers generally plummet in the wake of anything remotely Arab or Mid-East related and consequently it was always a great time for us to go on holiday as prices were greatly reduced and places were very quiet. This is clearly not good for the economy though so the sooner people get back behind Egypt, its incredible marine environment and archaelogical wonders, the better.

Back
Top Bottom